Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and gastric bypass?

Hi - quick question....
    I'm interested in looking into trying baclofen to curb my cravings. I have done some reading on here and get the picture of a slow, steady building up of dosage is the best way to administer.
    My question is- is there anyone on here who is a gastric bypass patient who has successfully used baclofen?

Also- I am in the UK , I have approached my GP for medication in the past but was told point blank, there is nothing available on the NHS. Can anyone recommend a route to purchasing the drug over the Internet...I haven't done anything like that before so am wary....
    Many thanks in advance

Chop
    I gave myself a wonderful present on Christmas Day 2013 - a future free from the guilt and pain that alcohol causes....

chopden;1609130 wrote:
    My question is- is there anyone on here who is a gastric bypass patient who has successfully used baclofen?
    Chop
    Baclofen has a narrow window of absorbtion in the upper GI tract, and a Gastric bypass may affect the ability for one to uptake the drug into one's bloodstream. Chewing the pills (or using liquid if available) may enhance absorbtion in an abbreviated GI tract, plus (possibly) work additionally via the sublingual/buccal route. If I recall correctly, there have been both positive and negative outcomes posted here from MWO bac users who have also had gastric bypasses. Cinders was a negative, and Otter's wife (i think) has been a positive.

-tk
    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

I chewed mine up and had no absorption problems. Nasty, but you do what you have to do. I had to back off of the HDB before "the switch" so can't answer the "worked for" part, but the SEs let me know it was working.
      "If I don't go crazy, honey, I'm going to lose my mind." Son House

Comment

Working...
      X