NY Times Magazine article - Anti-addiction Pill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who all read the article in today's (June 25) NY Times mag on Rxs & addiction? And what did you think? Very affirming to our program. Can't wait for more research & Rx options.

Would love to have a breakdown of advantages/disadv of: naltrextrone, topa, vivitrex, other in graph form....cv?

Also target patient population for each..eg.. RJ focused her work on early stage..eg is Vivitrex targeted for advanced stage or is the pharma industry differentiating??

I thought the article only scratched on the work that RJ is doing. I was amazed and so very grateful to be so far ahead of what was being reported in my favorite cutting edge magazine. No mention of topa, no mention of the Lancet article, no mention of the study being done at BU. It was the first time I have ever felt ahead of the Times!

Comment

I didnt see it. Could someone post that artical? thanks Gabby

Comment

soph-- topirimate was mentioned
        gab-- I will download when I get time & try to post it..you can log on to NY Times today for free & get it..

Comment

Here, I'll post it, it was excellent. Available online, at least temporarily at this site. Always such a pleasure to see a well researched article in which both pharmacology and other therapeutic considerations (e.g. behavioral to help address that "hole in the soul" that may result in addictive behavior) are included. The author did a really good job of explaining the importance of both nurture and nature, as well.

Speaking of various meds, we've been in touch with patients here who are hoping to begin Vivitrol (injectable Naltrexone) in the next couple of weeks and have agreed to share their experience so we can report to everyone.

Thanks, Cynthia for the excellent research posts of late. :-)

RJ

Update: As a follow-up to those who have contacted me and want to read this article but don't have a Times account or care to sign up for the trial: I'm calling them tomorrow to clear copyright and will post it here directly. This is usually pretty seamless; has been so with the Wall Street Journal, Newsweek and others. I think it's simply not in their database yet, so I haven't been able to do it at copyright.com, the service I normally use.

Comment

You're right. I didn't read it thoroughly enough. It was exciting, though, wasn't it? Having been on the program for only a little over a week, I'm a little over-zealous.

Comment

Working...
            X