Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine loss = Weight Loss???? Without Tompamax???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read an earlier post about losing 33# by cutting out the wine - there were several replies to the like. I replied, "really?" so, decided to start a thread for others who have experienced this - weight loss from wine loss WITHOUT Topamaz

Would love to hear more of these tales - its encouragment as its finest!

Thanks,
    Go2Goal, but still trying to find the way.
    "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Sorry but I gained weight because when I drank I either forgot to eat, passed out, or didn't care. Once I gave it up, I ate. Food tasted good & I got food cravings (carbs & sometimes sweets).

My second time around with Topa I did not lose weight. So not all people lose weight on Topa. My first time (2 yrs ago) I only lost a few pounds (5-7 #).
    :flower: Change a life; make someone feel important. ................. ........................ ..................... ........................ ................. ....... sigpic

Comment

Well, I've only been on the MWO program for about three weeks now so I don't have any HUGE weightloss to share. But, I have been on Weight Watchers a long time and can tell you that alcohol DEFINITELY makes me gain weight and when I cut back or abstain, I see the scale go down a lot faster. Alcohol is a triple whammy... a lot of empty calories, slows your metabolism, and makes you sluggish the next day so you're unlikely to be active or exercise the next day.

Of course, Breez is right too... if you substitute wine calories for food calories, you won't lose weight from just cutting out the wine. I do find that now that I've cut way back on alcohol, I am hungry more in the late afternoon before dinner (because that's when I'd normally have alcohol). But, I'm making a conscious effort to try to keep the afternoon/pre-dinner snacking to a minimum and something healthy so hopefully I'll get a boost w/the weightloss.

Comment

I've lost 15lbs without topa...just losing the booze. a bottle of wine has like 800-900 calories in it....empty cals. I have to watch my cravings for sweets now, but the L-glutamine is great for that as well as many other things
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

When I did 6 weeks of af a couple of years ago I lost 6kg - without controlling my eating or doing any exercise. I tend to get the munchies when drunk - so will eat anything that's in fridge and cupboards. Drinking is definitely a quadruple whammy for me - empty calories, sluggishness while drinking, sluggishness next day and munchies.

Uli

Comment

Well, I am like Breez. I actually gain weight when I go AF. I guess that's because I eat almost nothing when I drink-- just lose my appetite completely (and stomach is too full of beer or other alc liquids.) But you have to remember what it does to your body. You get no nutrition from the drinking and are robbing and depleting you body of the things it needs, adding to the terrible damage of the alcohol itself. When you go without the alcohol, instead of putting poison in at the expense of nutrition, you put nutrition in and stop poisoning yourself. If you temporarily gain a little weight, that is a small price to pay for the tremendous good you are doing your body-- you are actually extending your life. (It doesn't take long for your body to get back in balance and then you can easily lose the weight again).
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Hi,

I put on weight too. 8 days af today but I also gave up smoking a week ago so a double whammy. I've been craving carbs without the booze and have had the munchies to help with the cigarette cravings. They actually stopped yesterday so I'm hoping to level out a bit now. I used to eat like a horse when hungover so that and the reduction in "empty calories" should enable me to lose weight.

I am actually waiting for Topa which should take about 3 weeks so I'll make a comparison then.

Kitty
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
              Confucius

Comment

It's funny, beer I gained weight. Wine I lost weight. I can't take topa. I had my doctor prescribe something called tenuate. I have now lost that 15 lbs that was annoying me. I guess it the way you metabolize it, my Husband last night was saying he has gained 10 pounds. he has started drinking wine instead of his jack and ginger.

Mar

Comment

It was me honey, I lost 33 pounds in 9 weeks, because I used to get munchies when I had a drink, alcohol causes low blood sugar I think, so I suppose that's why I got munchies.

I know a lot of people who lose weight when they drink ( I always wished I was one) but I think my metabolism or something is meant to add weight.
                  I still want to lose more anyway.

Good thread though, go2goal.
                  PS. I am not on any supplements.
                  I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                  I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

I haven't lost any weight, although it's only been 3 weeks. The first few weeks I was craving chocolate each night but over the past week or so, it's slowing down and stabilising so maybe I'll start losing some weight soon. I've gained about 8 kilos over the past 9 months, so it'll be nice to get back to normal.

I know in the past when I have not drank any alcohol, for whatever reason, at about the 6 week mark, I have dramatically lost a lot of weight (too much weight loss) without changing any other variable, almost as if over night. My thinking is that the liver has had a chance to repair itself and get back up to speed and seeing as the liver is the fat burning organ in the body, this adds up to a sudden weight loss.

I'm not so concerned about a few extra kilos on my arse... maintaining AF is what is most important to me and I know that the rest will fall into place.

Having said that, getting back into my skinny jeans will be a value added bonus to sobriety! :H
                    :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Scooby,

Thats intersting what you said about the Liver.

Since I have been af I have been exercising and dieting without any change in weight. So it will be interesting to see what will happen in a few weeks time if I can keep up the af.

I think my Liver may be a little sluggish right now.

Kitty
                      Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                      Confucius

Comment

Kitty;155311 wrote:
                        I think my Liver may a little sluggish right now.
                        Same with mine Kitty. I think you just nailed it. Our livers must just be in repair mode at the moment. Kind of like a car being in the mechanics :H
                        :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

Thanks everyone

Wow, thanks for all the input everyone - I just wondered about others experiences and got feedback - Love that!

I think we don't realize what our habits have done to our livers, brains, metabolisms......it is a good reminder to consider these body mechanisms. I watched my Mum's body slowly deteriorate over her years, from weight/sugar issues, to wounds that wouldn't heal and varicose veins in her esophagus that caused internal bleeding and low iron count - for several years. Yet, the doctors would never name it..... even when we called them asking for help. She finally just bled to death - so unnecessary. Wow, I went on a tangent....

Anyway, the metabolism/weight issue IS part of the whole drinking cycle and the wholistic approach would say that when we control/stop excessive drinking, our whole body gets to heal - in so many ways we don't even realize.....
                          "Go Placidly Amid the Noise and Haste"

Comment

go2goal,

sorry about your mum, that is sad that they wouldn't really do much for your mum,
                            Bless you at least you are trying now for yourself

Good on you , don't give up xx
                            I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                            I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Working...
                            X