10 years sober. It's hard to believe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

10 years sober. It's hard to believe.

Hi folks, it is really surreal to think about it, but a decade has gone by since I last had a drink. It is hard to believe how fast time has gone,
    and how our lives change over time.

Mywayout, is is the only place, ever, that I was able to express myself about my problem with alcohol, and the only place I felt comfortable getting help from others. I am confident
    that without this community, the chats, the posts, the support, I would not have got through the toughest days at the start - and I would not have built the tool kit
    I needed to navigate forward on my own - sober -, working through challenges and tough times. Thank you to all of those
    kind people who helped me in those stages of my journey.

My journey is not over, and I have not forgotten how cunning and sly alcohol cravings can be; I will never underestimate that. I know that I am not able to have a good relationship with alcohol, and that is OK; this does not mean I am weak or
    a bad person, it is just the way it is. I like myself better sober.
    I know I have been a better person, father, and husband in the last decade, because I was sober. I am pretty sure my marriage would not have lasted if I had kept drinking; man, would my life ever be different
    today.

I figure I have saved almost $ 30 000, by not drinking for the past decade. Although, I have spent a few thousand on soda water. I know that my body and my brain are more healthy
    as a result of my being sober. The health benefits are a great by-product of being sober. It is amazing that the sweet tooth I developed once sober, has not really gone away. Maybe I had
    it all along, but the booze satisfied it - not sure. I still can handle sweets no problem - more that I should really.

A new life can be constructed that does not involve booze for a person. My family members drink when we get together, we have wine and beer in our home, and if we serve booze in our house. Booze is not part of
    my liquid intake, but it is part of the culture and society of our home, and in our gatherings with friends and community; and that is fine. After all these years, people in my life know who wants a Coor's Light, who wants a red wine,
    and they automatically hand me a perrier or club soda. It is no longer uncomfortable and burdensome, it is just normal. It takes time, and work, and it can be a humbling journey, but it is worth it.

I have not posted in a while, and I hesitated to do so. In our social media driven world, posting is so often done to garner accolades, that I figured that if I post, I was doing exactly that. After thinking about it
    for a few weeks, I am going to post. At some point, I would like to pay it forward, and maybe help another person in their journey towards being sober. Perhaps my reflections can add some things for a person
    to think about, and maybe offer a little support in some way, as they work through their own challenges.

With thanks,

Hill
    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Re: 10 years sober. It's hard to believe.

Congrats on your ten years hillsidetime. We are all proud of your great achievement. I got a long way to go but I know that I will be there someday.
    Last edited by DriftyAlison0; March 11, 2020, 03:17 PM.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good job!

Comment

[MENTION=11745]hillsidetime[/MENTION] - so happy to hear how great you are doing. Congratulations on 10 years. Fantastic! :yay:
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

What a wonderful post to read. Huge congratulations. I too know that feeling of disbelief. I will be 10 years on April 13th. Be well and we celebrate 15 next.
          Last edited by techie; March 11, 2020, 10:34 PM.
          “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Hill, congratulations on 10 years. It is truly lovely to hear stories of how great life is without the booze and that you are always aware that it only takes one drink.

So glad you popped in and shared your story, you deserve the accolades and more.
            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Drifty, I appreciate your kind words.

I like your signature, and the idea about working on today, one day at a time. This is a great strategy and approach. You can get there, starting with today.

Hill
              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Thanks Ginger

Hill
                Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi Nora,

thanks so much, I really appreciate it. Nice to hear from you. You have always been there for me, and it means more than you can know.

Hill
                  Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi techie,

thanks very much, I appreciate it. That is truly awesome that you are reaching this milestone. You should really be proud of yourself. Celebrating 15 sounds great.

Hill
                    Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Hi available,

thank you very much. I really appreciate it. Be well,

Hill
                      Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Thank you, [MENTION=11745]hillsidetime[/MENTION], for letting us know after 10 years of experience that a new life CAN be constructed that does not involve booze for a person! I went into my first few quits naively thinking that it does not matter what is in my glass as it’s just a beverage! And found out that it does matter. Now a year and half into my final quit, I am wiser and more cautious, but still working at and largely succeeding at creating a satisfactory life for myself that does not include it while the others drink around me, and the culture tries to demand it. I am counter culture now! Ha!

I deeply appreciate your post. Thank you for sharing your success!
                        Last edited by Slo; March 12, 2020, 08:34 AM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

I have not posted in a while, and I hesitated to do so. In our social media driven world, posting is so often done to garner accolades, that I figured that if I post, I was doing exactly that. After thinking about it
                          for a few weeks, I am going to post. At some point, I would like to pay it forward, and maybe help another person in their journey towards being sober. Perhaps my reflections can add some things for a person
                          to think about, and maybe offer a little support in some way, as they work through their own challenges.
                          Thanks for getting past your hesitation, [MENTION=11745]hillsidetime[/MENTION]. We all need role models and examples of people who maintain their quits in various ways. This post alone was a forward payment :smile:. Take care, NS
                          Last edited by NoSugar; March 12, 2020, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Congrats, Hillside! I remember you from when I first came to MyWayOut. Your avatar was a sunset, I believe? I’m so happy to hear that you have remained on the AF path. I look forward to seeing more of you! Here’s to the next 10! :welldone: Byrdie.
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Thank you Ginger,

I love your pic

Hill
                              Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
                              X