Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day 2...fears of W/Ds but no symptoms...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^I think I'm pretty lucky not to have that kind of problem, never once have I had the urge to drink on waking up, it's always been something I 'reserve' for the evenings - I never really get cravings for booze, I more get used to it as a medication, a way of blitzing time away and numbing my often overactive mind. I'm pretty sure if I did it 24/7, I'd be rattling like mad right now.

Boh;1249481 wrote: A far cry from waking up late for work, smelling like a brewhouse and my face covered in mysterious red dots... hmmm the thought of a hangover right now is completely sickning, where for years it was the norm.

Just a suggestion, you might want to look in to vitamines/suppliments to aid in your recovery if you havent yet. Your body will thank you! It made recovery for me possible.
    Ah, the 'red dots', hehe. Quite right, you could draw a grid on my face and play battleships! :H

Vitamin-wise, I guess I was a bit geared-up when quitting because I had some Holland & Barratt Vitamin B-100 tablets left over from last year, which are jam-packed with massive levels of various Vitamin Bs. Also taking a mild multivitamin and zinc tablets on top.

So, an update. Last night I had NINE HOURS OF MAINLY UNBROKEN NATURAL SLEEP!!!! No Nytols, no sleep-aids, no nothing. Even found it hard to get up, was aiming for 12pm but eventually slunk out of bed at 1.50pm, still super-sleepy.

Chose an apt but hardish time to quit. Am currently embarking on a weeks worth of annual leave from work, so have still got seven 'legitimate' nights of possible pissheadedness to get through (ie. I could get drunk without consequence as I don't have to go to work 'til next Monday) and I have seven full days of at-home sobriety to get through, an almost unprecedented occurrence for me, think the last time I had this was in early 2003!

So...have to admit I'm feeling a bit 'rattly' today. I have a very physical job so I'm guessing that's been good for the withdrawal as it's allowed me to burn energy off easily but being inert seems a bit dodgy....although I'm getting MAJOR cravings for cigarettes (despite having plenty of nic gum in) so that might be the cause of the rattliness(????) Also been a bit irritable today...feel like I've got maybe too much fire in my belly and a too-small exhaust port, if that makes sense???

Went out to the supermarket earlier...the environment seems different, I feel a little more connected to it, everything seemed to feel like a blast of colour, I was hearing the birdsong a little closer, noticing the blue of the sky more, it was a little overwhelming but in a good way. Also quite amusing to go shopping and not come back with the usual '3-day supply' (ie. sixteen 500ml cans of Old Speckled Hen and a 3-litre box of red wine), in fact, I wasn't even interested in the booze section at all. ?34 saved. ?102 every 9 days. Spent ?10 on a 360 game as a 'treat' (think I deserve it!!!)

What's odd is the mental system I had in place, how I'd 'reserve' seven/eight hours every night JUST for drinking...and the ways I managed to fit my life in around that. It's weird not having that structure but I recognise it as a very warped, very unproductive, very damaging way of existing. Once I eradicate the routine, I think my life will become a lot more rewarding.

It's an...interesting
    process, ain't it???
    [I]Quit drinking nightly at home (8 yrs) at the end of Feb. One night out 8/4/2014...I am ALLOWING myself to drink when on a night out, just cos I want it that way.[/]

Comment

WW ~
      I wanted to say thank you for coming back and keeping us up-dated on your progress.

Great news about the sleeping as well, took me blooming ages.

J x
      :l
      It could be worse, I could be filing.
      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

^Thanks.

I'm taking the sleeping more as a cumulation of several nights with very little sleep, I was probably very over-tired and my body had to shut down for its own sake.

I'm not expecting tonight to be so easy, but am keeping my fingers crossed, anyway.
        [I]Quit drinking nightly at home (8 yrs) at the end of Feb. One night out 8/4/2014...I am ALLOWING myself to drink when on a night out, just cos I want it that way.[/]

Comment

Weeeeell...six nights off now, nearly at the dreaded seven (apols if this is turning into a blog).

Despite my misgivings last night, and about half an hour's worth of tossing and turning, managed another good seven hours of natural sleep but found it MEGA-hard to crawl out of bed again (good or bad sign???)

Got up, immediately craved food, had a bagel w/fish fingers n' brown sauce and immediately felt like I wanted to DO something, go out, whatever, which in comparison to my usual, pre-sobriety days, felt rather refreshing (and unusual!).

Yeah, before, it'd be all just 'damage limitation', I'd get up feeling super-monged, proper rubbish, painful eyes, heavy depersonalisation, get a hot bath, force some food down my neck, pop a codeine n' ibuprofen, and drink sugary energy drinks on the bus to work, then eventually spend the next four/five hours working my hangover off 'til my lunch break. Days off, I'd just do a 10hr/11hr super lie-in and end up going nowhere, doing nothing, just biding my time 'til it was time to drink again. Pretty sad stuff.

Probably feel better today than I've felt in the past 6.5 years! Still not 100%, more like 70% but even that's infinitely preferable to the 13%-21% I was used to when on the booze. No 'steamy' headache today, too, just some pleasant depersonalisation and a total absence of negative thoughts.

Another benefit is a slight but heartening amount of weight loss, I'm a tall, skinny guy who - when gaining weight - only seems to put it on around the stomach/waist/moobs etc., so I could potentially end up looking like a toffee apple should I gain too much. Definite reduction of moobage and beer gut, in fact, a couple more weeks and I might be back to my old weight and be able to fit into all my old clothes again, hurrah!

All good stuff, so far, plus the ca$h I'm saving.....

Comment

Well done! Super monged...great description, I know that feeling. Your whole post sounds just like me.
            All the best to you. Day one is still a struggle for me. Is it possible to be so used to super mongness its kinda an unatural to feel ok, if you get me? (wow that sounds bad)
            All the best to you. Really enjoyed reading your posts

Comment

^Hehe, I don't think there's another word in the Oxford Concise that can really do it justice. Yeah....it's like you're so used to suffering second (third???) best that you end up accepting and getting used to it, all that bloatedness, that sicky feeling, that general feeling of being "well-but-very-unwell". Have to be honest, it's really weird NOT to feel like that...but the last few 'mornings' (ie. when I woke up) it kind of felt like I'd been dosed up on some really nice stimulant, there was/is this clarity there now, much better than shaky grogginess and those feelings of uncertainty/despair/impending doom that I often used to get upon waking after yet another night on the piss.

One of my major reasons to not quit was the sleep thing, on my (very few) previous attempts to quit/cut down, I'd got to bed without a drink and spend the whole night rolling about, not actually managing to get a wink of sleep, and would keep on stressing about not being able to sleep. This time around, I decided that it doesn't matter, either I slept or I didn't. If i didn't, it was Masterchef until it sent me off (or didn't). I figured that at some point - be it a night or four nights - I *would* eventually manage to get a bit of sleep (and I did).

(PS: Also forgot to mention that on top of the booze I was on, at the termination of an evening's boozing, I would also
              take 15mg of codeine AND a sleep aid tablet, often washed down with a few glugs of spirits/Pimms/whatever was available to hand, maybe was a tad bit unnecessary...)

Pooks, try taking a night or two off and see what happens, doesn't matter if you don't get some kip from the off.

Comment

7 nights off, one full week!!!

Won't be boring and repeat myself but feel pretty similar to how I have the last few days. Another epic sleep, maybe too epic, got up at 3 in the afternoon.

Dosing myself up on games, films, books etc., they all seem a lot better now for some reason (maybe it's because I can engage fully with them and don't spend much of my time trying to remember where I was at???)

Facial skin is also better, rather than a slightly seared off-red with splotches n' splats of beetroot, I'm now a boiled hammish-pink with splashes of 'normal fleshtone'. Not bad at all.

PS: Apols for the details, but can fully report that bowel movements are now fully operational, REPEAT, bowel movements are now fully operational.

Comment

Congratulations on 7 days!!
                  You're not sounding boring at all. Its better to say how things are going and I am enjoying following your posts (im not a stalker honest haha).
                  Although I am struggling I do feel better for my posts even if it is just to say well done. This forum has given me something else to think about rather than obsessing over myself.
                  Glad your skin is looking better. That must give your confidence a boost. Drinking has altered my appearence greatly. My friend took a photo of me today and I am shocked. I know I am over weight but. I didnt realise how bad I look. First photo taken of me in a looooong time so I have printed it off and stuck a copy on my fridge and in my purse, another weapin against the devils juice!!
                  Anyway, well done and keep going!

Comment

Ps. Received loud and clear, bowel movements restored.... Nothin like a comfy poo haha!!!

Comment

^Glad to hear you are benefiting from this forum, Pooks, let's just 'sAAy' it's a *much* better "dark side of booze"-type forum than certain others on the net.

As for the skin thing, I'd say it's not really a 'boost', I just look a tad less manky (still WAY to go!)

Good thing about the photo on the fridge, definitely gives you something to aim at. Just read through a few of your posts and it's obvious that you have *noticed* what is going wrong, esp. with the bile n' stuff. Like I said in a previous post, I work in a hospital and the amount of folk on gastric wards who are alcoholics is immense, it's scary seeing all these mentally confused, physically frail yellow people with various drains sticking out of their guts, groins n' chests, all oozing green/black/brown/yellow shit into little transparent bags, I'm just glad I took the choice right now because ending up like that would be just a horrible place to be, a real wake-up call.

8 nights off and yet ANOTHER epic sleep, though a neat 8hrs this time around. Do not feel depressed or panicky in the slightest, in fact I feel mentally top-notch, whereas I was normally stricken with chronic dysthymia, I feel my interest in things is coming back rapidly. Bad things: I'm still not really bothered about sex n' stuff, my constant boozing seemed to kill off all interest, though I am more than capable of 'the act'. Just hope the mental mojo returns!

Lost weight too, nine days back I had a bloated beergut, now it's flattening out (good job I don't have any fatty crap in the house because appetite is quite big).

But, yeah, life is completely different, and much
                      better.

Comment

Hiya, just popppin by to say hope you have a gd wkend and lots of epic sleep. Looking forward to your next post and hopefully will have a bit of positive news to post myself!! Catch you laters

Comment

cipralex

Hi WW,

Just read all of this thread. :goodjob:

Cipralex is an SSRI and now that you ar AF is probably working much better for you. It could be that you could start reducing you dose of that, worth talking to your doc about maybe?

There is a thread in holistic healing about depression, with some interesting posts on alternative treatments if you think you might be interested. Personally in your shoes even if I was I'd be putting it on my look into later list because your body is already adjusting to big big changes and you would have to titrate down and off cipralex for some of them. Oh that said light or phototherapy can be useful in addition to SSRIs.

Hoping to be where you are at soon, I've been drinking too long and done too many other quits to do detox alone, so waiting to get into detox. Again (sigh)
                          " I'm not trying to counsel any of you to do anything really special, except to dare to think and to dare to go with the truth and to dare to love completely." -R. Buckminster Fuller

Comment

^Cheers WF, I initially started the Cipralex because of a terrible, entirely unexpected reaction to another drug, pre-taking it I wasn't actually on anything. I have been on Prozac in the distant past (over a decade ago) so have previous experience of SSRIs...I have to say that now I'm past the initial symptoms of Cipralex (anorgasmia, weird/horrible dreams) I actually...um....am liking it! I have a mid-level form of Tourettes and tic/think mad thoughts like mad if stressed and it's really helping me not to sweat the small stuff, it's good at clearing my head of mental shizzle, at least for the now.

I don't intend to be on it permanently and I know that *very* gradual withdrawal is the way to go with SSRIs (I did cold turkey on Prozac, and it was a MAJOR no-no) but for the time being it's doing some very good work on me, plus the effect is quite subtle compared to the 'Big P'. Thanks for your kind words and concern, though, and no doubt I will venture closer to the holistic route once I begin to fully stabilise health- and mood-wise.

Pooks;1251764 wrote: Hiya, just popppin by to say hope you have a gd wkend and lots of epic sleep. Looking forward to your next post and hopefully will have a bit of positive news to post myself!! Catch you laters
                            Pooks, jolly good luck to you in your efforts and hope you can wrangle the beer-beast, a happy weekend to you as well.

Tenth night off teh booze and maybe the most epic sleep of all, a disturbingly long THIRTEEN HOURS
                            , simply cannae believe it, Captain!

Ah, well, life is still great, plus the 360 seems so amazing right now, sobriety seems to make gaming way more essential, no more 'gaming anhedonia' for me, everything seems interesting now.

Comment

Hello hello, how are you doing Wastrel? Hope you are keeping well.
                              Im back on lurking about on the forums, still hoping for day 1 to happen so I can post a positive for a change.
                              Anyway, like I said, hope you're ok and all is well.

Comment

ROCK ON Wastrel
                                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Working...
                                X