No announcement yet.

100 Day Club members/Maintenance Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder about my Facebook friends, with pictures of wine coming out of a faucet. I'm grateful to be done with that life.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

As a youngster, i'd knock off wine from the local church. The signs were there!

Howdy folks. Are you still on the road NS? Hope you're enjoying/enjoyed the travel.

Safe travels Ava if i don't read ya before then.

Have a gr8 week all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I am back on the road, Mr. G (actually, in the air) but I was home for a few days, which was really nice. This week is pretty much of a vacation for me while my husband attends seminars so I'm looking forward to it. We were on a 4 pm, 4-hour flight yesterday and it occurred to me how awful it would have been to fly at that time of day before I quit - trying to make 1 or 2 mini bottles of wine last 4 hours (my max public consumption). It would have been all I thought about! Instead I read, listened to music, dozed, and as much as you can these days, enjoyed the flight.

Sunbeam, I've hidden everyone from my FB feed who posts stuff like that. I follow only people and pages who post inspirational (but not too corny) messages, political and health information, or meaningful life events. Sometimes I wonder if FB will survive with all the ads and data mining that goes on. And just compare the depth of conversations that go on there for the most part compared to here!

Lav, I grew up in a non-drinking family family, too, but got caught up in the pseudo-sophistication Kathleen Parker describes sometime in my 30s, which became a problem sometime in my 40s. (Our church served gross grape juice, G, so nipping from the communion stash wasn't an issue for anyone :wink.
        Last edited by NoSugar; April 14, 2015, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Interesting read and links NS, thanks for sharing. My drinking came full circle with my kids still at home, so the idea of being a better role model has been high on my list in recovery. The comments about history repeating itself in families bothers me, but I hope I can influence that with time and imprint rituals and memories a bit differently than a few they may have. With two teenagers we've had several alcohol related conversations in the past year, unfortunately some involving me, but it's interesting to talk with them about their experiences at parties or around friends in more of a matter of fact way without preaching or strong reaction. I'm lucky that so far my kids have their heads on straight and seem to have good judgment, but I wonder about their unspoken observations over time and what they have formed as opinions of normal.

I recall being around 7 and my parents giving me and my siblings the smallest glasses of chianti when we would have a big pasta meal. There was also the warm milk laced with whiskey when we were sick, and I remember that in particular as tasting nasty. Why either of these would be a good idea I don't know, nor will I ask, and I've tended to chalk this up to generational tradition or those customs that just needed to evolve, much like attitudes towards smoking did, with awareness over time.

I've found for me too it's just easier to give a non-rambling glossover type comment to not drinking and deal with the usually mild or non-reactionary comments. Only we can never work harder at achieving something and then not give ourselves credit for it without killing the cocktail moment for everyone else. And I haven't yet experienced anybody saying they recall that I don't drink, but I'm looking forward to someone saying it for me!

Comment

NS, the wine promotions don't bother or tempt me. I just feel bad for the people who perhaps can't break out of the cycle.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Just checking in with a sad update: My Dad is dying. He's incapable of eating or even drinking water. They're giving him morphine to keep him comfortable. So it's only a matter of days, or possibly hours. :sad: I give thanks that I am sober. I've been able to spend more time with him, real, clear, precious time.
              Hope everyone's well,
              Steady
              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Oh Steady, we are all so sorry. He will be in a better place soon, that is one comfort. And the fact that you are with him, appreciating every moment.

Comment

Thinking of you & your Dad Steady :hug:
                  I know how difficult this process is, have been there with my parents.
                  Take some comfort in knowing that he is being well cared for & not in pain.
                  We will be here for you.
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Steadfast, so sorry to read about your dad. Thinking of you and your family
                    Sam
                    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Hi folks, and thanks for your nice words. Dad passed away peacefully at 11.15am this morning, Australian time. I'm shocked. I knew it was coming, but I'm numb. One thing for sure, being sober is the best way to deal with horrible times like this. I HAVE had thoughts about al - old habits die hard; it was my answer to everything not long ago. But times change and we grow.

best wishes,
                      Steady
                      AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Steady, I'm sorry about your dad's death. Your attitude and gratitude about dealing with this part of life sober have been very inspiring and reassuring to me as this phase of my life is beginning.

You and Little Beagle are reaching 2 years AF about now - what great role models you both have been, staying strong even when life is really tough. Congratulations.

Comment

Steady, i am so sorry to hear about your dad, my thoughts are with you at this time. I know you will stay strong girl but am sending you great big hugs today.

xxxx
                          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Very sorry for your loss Steady. It is wonderful that you were there to help him make his transition.
                            Thinking of you & sending you strength :hug:
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Had a dream last night where I was drinking ameretto like it was water. It was really odd, I could actually smell it and taste it in my dream. It was so real, when I woke up. had to take a few minutes to make sure it didn't happen. It was as if my stupid AV (alcoholic voice) said, well, I can't get anywhere with him while he's awake, let's see if I can trick him while he's asleep. Stupid AV.

It was probably brought on because my wife is going to be away this weekend and that used to mean, as Byrdie puts it, a ticket to Boozeville, population me. Not anymore, now it means a ticket to doing laundry and housework. Not the most exciting weekend, I know, but I sure as hell wouldn't trade it for a weekend of heavy drinking and hangovers!

Have a great day everyone!
                              11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Hi, Everyone:

So sorry for your loss, Steady. What a relief that you could be sober and present for him in the end.

Congratulations on 2 years!

I just got a call from my son, so I have to run and pick him up. Glad I'm sober to do so.

Pav

Comment

Working...
                                X