Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies in need ODAT - Thursday

Hello all.

Had a car break down yesterday which messed up my tightly timed day ...... but the interesting thing was I didn't really get that stressed about it. It was inconvenient but I re-arranged stuff and still got things done and got home safely. I rang hubby about it and it turned out it was something that he hadn't done properly that caused the problem but I didn't blame him and he thanked me for being so understanding about it. Later on, I realised it was almost certainly because I wasn't feeling crap with a hangover and I wasn't stressing about getting back home to open a bottle (to make me feel better - hahaha! - such an illusion!). My sense of humour seems more regular, I get less stressed about things generally, am kinder to OH, I get sooooo much more done in the evenings as I am not drinking and I wake, if not bright eyed and bushy tailed (takes a pot of tea before that occurs!) then certainly not feeling crap. Really just trying to say, as so many of you know and for those of you that don't, that the benefits of staying away from Al are many and varied and life improving in lots of ways you don't expect when you first start here.

Today feels like a good one. A birthday lunch ("no thanks, I'm driving") and another evening in alone - a danger point - but I am ready for it. I really don't want to drink. I am not struggling with the idea - boy does that make things easier!

I have filled in my drink tracker with zeros until the end of the month and have to plan at least a couple of days ahead to avoid trying situations but am still only going to take it one day at a time. Today I will not drink.

Love to all who follow. Hope you have a great day.

Bessie xx

Hi Bessie and all to come

There are indeed so many benefits in being AF and it's good to be reminded of them. Hubby has been away all week and when he is I make sure there is no wine in the house. Then at week-ends I make sure there is plenty of AF beer in the fridge. It would be so much easier not to have a drinker in the house but as I have said before, my problem, I deal with it and I am through MWO.

Woke up bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning after another AF night. Have the attic nearly cleaned out. Now I have to start on the garage.

Have a great day everyone.

Rustop

Comment

Hi Bessie! I saw your drink tracker cuz I'm trying to be really good about using it, and being honest. That is a great strategy. I put my zero in last night and then thought, well that's that, I've committed, no drink, and I feel really good about that. More 0 days than not. It's real progress for me, and I do feel proud. Especially yesterday when I had to take my kitty to the vet, she is an old girl and she was lethargic and swollen, I was really afraid they were going to tell me something scarey and it would be decision time. But she will be fine after today, she's having some dental surgery. Congrats on enjoying your alone time! And good for you for handling the car breakdown with finesse, AF is great! Good morning all to come. :h
      The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

Hi all,

I have just joined in the last couple of days, and really enjoying reading everyone journey. I have been nearly (if i can say that) sober for 42 days. I have had one big slip up and then the odd beer or wine on about 5 other days. I am really pleased with my progress but it is soooo scarry every minute. I just wish i didnt slip and have that one drink, it seems so silly and after it i regret having it at all. I managed Christmas, New years eve a 40th birthday and numerous parties in the silly season and did really well, but something just drags me back for one....

Looking forward to chatting to friends on the same level.

Choice

Comment

hey folks,
          its cold and after a long day of work i did have two drinks which i feel ok about because i stopped at two... oh boy did i consider one more or a shot but i ate a bowl of turkey soup and some popcorn and a can of seltzer....not af but somewhat in control...not feeling a#1 today but feeling ok
          thanks for being here
          rudemama

Comment

Bessie, great job! Handling stress was always a big excuse for me too. One little tick in my day sent me right to the fridge now matter what the hour of the day.

You all sound like you are doing awesome. Wtg modders!!

I'm way too scared to try and mod, so AF is still for me. It's just hard because you try not to think about drinking, but how can we not when we are here everyday. Even though being here helps and is positive, people say "don't think about it"..."keep yourself busy"..."keep reading and posting". I've given the same advise. But we can't do both can we. Sorry, just feeling pretty blue past few days. Trying so hard to remain positve.

Good job all.
            Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

Morning all
              Just a quick check in as I am due into work early today. Finally got my puter back after being disconnected due to house renovations...was using hubbys laptop, so at least I have been able to check in with all the ODATer's....Hope everyone has a good day!
              sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Bessie, what a great shot of you in the saddle! I miss my horsie...

Day 16 here in Jane Land. I agree with everything you said. Everyone else---congrats and keep it up!
                Jane Jane

Comment

beautiful horse and rider !!!!!!!!!!!
                  rudemama

Comment

ditto!!!

Bessie, you look good in the saddle, can't wait to do that again!! FUN FUN FUN!!! I think I have 2 more months to go til I can ride, by then the weather will be nicer too...........spring!

Everyone sounds so positive and up beat today, I am too, moderating at the time, just feel so bored, can't go to the gym, ride, really do much of anything...............this too shall pass, I will be going to the gym and lifting weights soon, I am ambulatory now,ditched the walker today!!YEAH!!!! Still very slow walking since the new knee is prettyweak still, but feels like I am making progress!

Everyone keep up the good work, welcome to Choicemood:welcome: Stick around, congrats on all the sober days!!

Will check in later, hi to everyone yet to post:hallo:

Love and hugs!!!!!:l

MA
                    :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Odaters,

In a hurry but haven't had a chance to shout out a hello for several days.

Just touching base. All is going well here with my folks in St. Louis.

Enjoying their company a lot.

Love,
                      Cindi

ps Hope everyone is doing great!!
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Good Morning All,

Thanks for starting the thread once again Bessie. Everyone MAKE IT a nice day !
                        Miss October :blinkylove:

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I too use DrinkTracker. I find it very helpful to see all the zeros. It was especially helpful in the beginning.

The fantasies about drinking come & go, but they are much less frequent & powerful. I only have to make the comparison of the way I drink to the way normal drinkers drink in order to realize that I cannot stop at 1, 2, or 3. Those would just be getting me started.

My life has changed so much for the better that in my more rational moments I ask myself: "Why would I want to go back to all that turmoil?"

This ODAT (one day at a time) thread got started just when I needed to look at changing my drinking for only one day. I made a conscious decision not to look into an AF future. Way too scary!

Thanks for being new newbies & older newbies. Mary
                          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                          October 3, 2012

Comment

I'm new and Besie, I can't tell you how encouraging that is to me.
                            sigpic
                            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

welcome

Greeneyes, welcome!!:welcome:

Read and post, you will feel very comfortable and at home here! This site is full of wonderful loving support..............Stick around, and whatever your goal is, I am sure you will do well..................if you have ah chance, read the book, taken some supplements........I had the book, but lent it out, would like it back to review some things I have forgotten..............(thanks for making me remember that!! ) See, you've already helped me without knowing!!!

Anyway, good luck on whatever path you choose!!:H

Love and hugs,:h

MA
                              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Working...
                              X