Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I never realised there were so many people like me ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

until I found this site. I am new here and have been deliberating joining for the last few days. I cannot believe how much of a relief it is to hear so many people experience the "experience" of drink like I do. It has been such a help to just read the posts and realise I am not alone or unique in how I have to come this point of my life. I do not think I am an extremely bad case but I do think I have a problem with A. I have been drinking reasonably heavy for the last 25 years and the longest i have been af is 3 weeks last november - just a little test, not pre meditated. In january of this year I decided to have one AF month, I lasted 6 days and when I had an argument with my daughter I caved in. I am presently AF on day 7 having started last monday, and I feel so much better in myself. I have not decided whether to stay af or moderate. For the moment I cannot believe I have survived a whole weekend and not had alcohol. I will post more but just wanted to say hi for now and thank u all for helping even when you didn't realise!
    :new:
    AF since 27th February 2011

:welcome: :welcome: Hi Wine is not Divine!!! I am so glad you found us!! Like you, i felt totally alone in my problem, was astonished to find so many people almost exactly like me. You are doing so well .. stick around, there is so much wisdom and support (and humor!)!
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Welcome, Wine is not Divine. Glad to have you here and look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Comment

Your story and my story are very very similar, right down to my daughter giving me a headache (right now). Bless them, I am going to rise above it and see January AF.

Congrats on all your AF days so far, I know it's not easy, I did a good November test like you and the 25 years boozing is about the same. I'm 45 years old next month thought it might be a good time to give my brain and liver a rest.
        If you find AF a bit difficult, ask your Doctor for a prescription of Campral, it seems to work for me. I'm not sure if I can go moderate just yet.

Well done and Welcome.

Comment

Welcome aboard! Glad to hear that you are excited about this site - it really is fantastic and you will get a lot of support - post when you're happy, post when you're sad, post when you're having a bad day - we will all be here for you.

congrats on your AF days so far - good for you!
          Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
          :h

Comment

Hi and welcome, you will find lots of people have similar problems, I used to think
            mine were unique until recently.
            Best of luck.

Comment

:welcome: aboard, it's great site with lovely people offering lots of support. Look forward to reading your posts....

:goodjob: on the AF, keep it up....

I have a daughter too, she's not quite in her teens yet, looks like I might have worst things to come. Although, she is a daddies girl, so there might be a possibility I will get off light..... Fingers crossed.... LOL.
              TIGGER1 :l

Formerly Mr Boop

Comment

:l Welcome Wine is not Divine.... catchy name .... stay close by, we'll help if we can!

And Tigger1.... I'm crossing my fingers for you! My sweet two girls are 17 and 20urgirl:, and when they turned about 15, they morph'ed into secretive, manipulative teen witches nfire: (twitches).... thankfully, they've been exorcised and are returning back to sweet, loving girls. :lilangel: (Or they've become experts at hiding the twitch?)

Patty
                Tampa, FL

Comment

Welcome, WIND. I don't like to repeat others, but this is a great site. Stay with us and read and post often.

Congrats on your 7 days. WTG!!! You are well on your way to health and happiness!

Love, Me
                  :l
                  Alcohol is simply the device between success and failure.

Comment

:welcome:

Until I found this site about a year ago, I didn't know there were people like me either. Now I know I'm like you and like many other very wonderful and caring people who reach out to help each other. You hit the jackpot by coming here. We will listen and help. We all struggle. Many of us are now sober and the rest are on their way. Please keep reading and posting.
                    Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Hi Wine is not devine and welcome.

You have come to a great place. Keep reading and posting. There are so many of us in the same position. I'm 46 and a drinker of too much wine. Have 2 teenage daughters 13 and 15 who know all the right buttons to push!! Good luck and looking forward to seeing you around.

Rustop

Comment

:new: :welcome: :H Welcome w.i.n.d

Your post could be mine, so similar situation, and also Irish.

I have just survived my first weekend in 15 years AF. Day 6 for me. Not planning to stay AF to be honest, just cutting down dramatically. I normally drink most days and probably average 35 to 40 pints per week, would like to reduce to 5 or 6 bottles per week.

If I cant do that will try the whole hog and stay AF.

Welcome aboard, I have found this site very helpful and feel brilliant after staying AF for the last 6 days. Going to see Tommy Tiernan helped over the weekend, funny fecker

Comment

When I say 5 or 6 bottles I mean 6 x 330ml bottles of beer.

Comment

thanks to all the welcoming responses, nice to see some close to home and with similar circumstances. I am still af, now day 8, had a few trigger moments which were very challenging but got thru them and still doing ok. Hope to be able to moderate or is that a delusional wishing thinking at this stage? Will aim to do 30 days and then decide, trouble is I will be going on holidays very soon after the 30 days is up and would be worried that I might blow it by going mad on hols after abstaining for so long, any thoughts?
                            AF since 27th February 2011

Comment

well done on day 8...please remember what ever you do come back and stay posted....Jacqui...xxx
                              Mwo,s worst speller....

Comment

Working...
                              X