A Naltrexone Log

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Naltrexone Log

Does anyone mind if I log here my experience with Naltrexone?.

I am very aware that these type threads are so much more valuable to the person who writes them, than the people that read them.

And I have always felt it would be too selfish to do something like this, but this is a good place for me to log, since I come on here everyday.

I am not "expecting" anyone to read or respond to this. I hope this is OK. Thank you.
    PS. I will probably not do this everyday.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Day 1: 25 mg, 4PM, a little nausea, can feel the drug, do not feel up or happy after drinking some wine, some fatigue, drinking 9.0% rhine wine+diet sprite (my fav), feel more sober ( I mean not high) than usual, hoping this is what normal people woudl feel like (Used to have a couple of green apple vodka drinks then switch to the rhine, but would drink the whole 1.5 L), 8PM - could def go to bed, may drink more to close fin bottle;zero appetite

Day 2: Didn't sleep all night; this morning I am very nauseaus but I do not think it is the N; I think it is that I didn't eat; we'll see

A Naltrexone Log

Definitely, and lots of people read but many do not respond. Still it's a connection and a share.
    Best to you and keep up your post.:happyheart:

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Chrysa,

I am glad you are posting your Naltrexone log.

The more we share: the good, the bad, and the ugly, the better off those after us fare.

I really hope the Naltrexone helps you.

Love,
      Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Hi Chyrsa - congrats on starting!

I'm on week 13 of taking Nal (following the sinclair method). Some tips for the first week: eat before you take your Nal, it helps cut the nausea for some of us. If you can't handle 25mg, cut the pill again and take only a quarter pill..and most all of the side effects disappear after 4 weeks for everyone so if you are worried about how long the SEs will last,hang in there, they should go away shortly.

Glad you are posting your progress - I wish more people did this diligently on the site. It really helps newbies and those looking for alternatives that work...

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Thanks for starting the log Chrysa!

I think it is very interesting for people who are considering the method, and if anyone else isn't interested they don't have to read do they!!

I know many others who arent doing the treatment find the logs invaluable- Startinover for example, as she hopes to work in the addiction field.

Good luck!

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Hi Chrysa, I find reading what others think about various treatments most helpful. I am taking campral combined with cognitive behaviour therapy. My therapist says it works it we put the drink down for long enough to give it a chance. I am also going to AA because I really want to get my life back. Best of luck to everyone, we must do whatever it takes to get well.

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Day 2: Didn't sleep all night; this morning I am very nauseaus but I do not think it is the N; I think it is that I didn't eat; we'll see

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

I think it helps at first if you take it with a meal Chrysa- once the side effects start fading (they will) it doesn't matter but it might help not to take it on an empty stomach at first.

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Thx marbella, could be. Now, are taking naltrexone or baclofen? I am confused? If baclofen why did you switch?

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

I have explained it in my thread somewhere...one min I will copy and paste (I am a useless typist)

"Finally last September someone mentioned the new book by Dr- Eskapa which describes the Sinclair Method- using naltrexone while you are still drinking. (Plenty of information of that on here for those who haven't heard of it).

I bit the bullet and went back to a doctor- he had never even heard of the drug, but he looked it up and gave me it, I told him I was planning on taking it for abstinence as I thought he wouldn't give it to me otherwise.

After a false start (very bad side effects) I decided to try again in February after the subject was raised again. This time I started on about 10mg a day and titrated up to 25mg very slowly and eventually up to 50mg. (I later went back to 25mg as I did not feel I was gaining anything on the higher dose).

Well- it worked. My drinking dropped off immediately- and never went right back up again, although for many folk it does- I think it worked for me unusually well- maybe because I am very sensitive to medication- I don't know.

I still had days when I went overboard- but they were isolated days- and not 4 day binges. I did not use any willpower- but gradually my drinking dropped off until I was only drinking 2 or 3 beers a day, and with quite a few AF days too. I was absolutely delighted- and still am, but I feel I a have reached a plateau with the naltrexone- my drinking is basically controlled and only just outside what is considered safe limits, BUT....I AM still drinking and I do still get cravings almost every evening...especially when things go wrong, and after reading a bit about Baclofen I decided to throw that into the mix."

A few days later by chance I read Bill.P's posts and decided to drop the nal for now and concentrate on the baclofen- it was a spur of the moment desicion- I do recommend nal- it did wonders for me, but I was at a plateau- I want to see if the baclofen will take me past that.

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

To AF, right Marby? In my case, that is what I want.

I am killing myself otherwise..

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Thanks M

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

OK. thx Zen...are you OK?

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Cinders;626773 wrote: To AF, right Marby? In my case, that is what I want.

I am killing myself otherwise..

Love,
                            Cindi
                            Yes Cindi- AF- When I stopped for 2 years, I eventually stopped thinking about drink, it just didn't cross my mind...I want to be there again.

Comment

A Naltrexone Log

Zenstyle;626902 wrote: My main computer went down today and I'm trying to get it fixed. Pain in the posterior! I'm back on the wagon though and haven't had a drink since Monday. Can't say I feel too great, I think I titrated too fast on the baclofen. That can be fixed though... just come back down a little for a few days.

How are you doing?
                              It does sound like you went up pretty fast Zenners- like you say, just go down again for a bit. I had planned on adding another 5mg today but I had a headache and didn't....no point in rushing it, and Cinder's Dr says not to, so we might as well pretend she is our doctor too

Comment

Working...
                              X