got into a car accident!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got into a car accident!

so last night I was leaving a bbq. Had 3 beers and my light turned green to go. Started making a left when someone came out of the blue , obviousally running the red light and smshed into my car. luckily it hit the front side direction and not me. the cops said if i was a second faster it would hit me directly where i was sitting and probably would have died. ( 3rd near death accident)so the car was totalled. the guy was arrested because he was showing very obvious signs of being drunk. he was four times over the limit. everyone was yelling at him there. people stopped their cars that saw it and when realized he was drunk were fuming and almost physically attacking him. i was very lucky they dditn test me. i felt and appeared fine, but surely would have been over the limit. i have a heart for the alcohol issues and people in general, so i actually felt bad for the guy. anyway, just another bad things alcohol did.im sure the guy woke up feeling like hell. i had a dwi also five years ago. flipped my car.

got into a car accident!

Glad You are ok ME, that is very scary! I had my car totaled last year be someone running a stop sign. It is frustrating. I'm glad you weren't tested (here they test everyone involved), but please use this as a warning about drinking and driving.

Comment

got into a car accident!

me1455;681530 wrote: so last night I was leaving a bbq. Had 3 beers
      You'd likely be between 0.04 and 0.08, which means, in most states, no presumption of intoxication or lack thereof. Not legal advice, but at this BAL you should refuse any field sobriety test (not required in USA and is only adverse to the suspect) and don't answer any questions, but do take any requested breath, blood, or urine chemical test (since in USA it's essentially a guilty plea if you don't, and you'll have a restricted license for typically a year).

DWI is dangerous and stupid, but it's not a reason to throw away the constitution and live in a police state. (What is?)

Comment

got into a car accident!

How scary, Me! Glad you are ok!

Comment

got into a car accident!

Wow, that is scary!!! So glad you are okay.
          Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
          If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
          November 2, 2012

Comment

got into a car accident!

thanks! i know, i was reallky lucky they didnt test me.. my friend pointed out i was chomping away at gum too ( bc i didnt want to smell it on my breath) and she was woried they wouldve picked up on it, especially beingn i was dressed sexy and coming from a bbq on a saturdya night. ugh. thank GOD.

Comment

got into a car accident!

That was a close call Me -- I'm pleased to hear you are okay.
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

got into a car accident!

Bernard, I don't want to start an argument here but your comment about a police state sounds to me like you are saying it is ok to drink and drive if you aren't over the limit. We are not good at judging whether we are over unless we carry a breathalizer. And even under the limit, our judgement, reflexes and coordination can be effected. Since I don't know ME's weight, whether they were lite beers, how large they were (bottles vs. keg poured), how long she was drinking, what she ate or when she ate and her hormonal state at the time, your figures may be right. But women can get impaired on 3 drinks easily. When I put in female, 120 pounds, 3 regular beers over 2 hours to the calculator, I get .08, which is the legal limit in all states. And where I live, you can get a DWI with a BAC of less than .08 if you're driving poorly (have seen convictions at .06). I don't mean to chastise but I also don't want women to think they can have 3 drinks and drive safely. (or talk on the phone or text or apply makeup)

Comment

got into a car accident!

louise;682431 wrote: Bernard, I don't want to start an argument here but your comment about a police state sounds to me like you are saying it is ok to drink and drive if you aren't over the limit. We are not good at judging whether we are over unless we carry a breathalizer. And even under the limit, our judgement, reflexes and coordination can be effected. Since I don't know ME's weight, whether they were lite beers, how large they were (bottles vs. keg poured), how long she was drinking, what she ate or when she ate and her hormonal state at the time, your figures may be right. But women can get impaired on 3 drinks easily. When I put in female, 120 pounds, 3 regular beers over 2 hours to the calculator, I get .08, which is the legal limit in all states. And where I live, you can get a DWI with a BAC of less than .08 if you're driving poorly (have seen convictions at .06). I don't mean to chastise but I also don't want women to think they can have 3 drinks and drive safely. (or talk on the phone or text or apply makeup)
                  Points well taken, Louise. Yes, it is not OK to drive impaired, and yes you can get a DUI at any level because most states laws require only impaired to the slightest degree. But given the facts of this incident as stated, I stand by my estimate that the likely range was the gray zone of 0.04 to 0.08. Below 0.04, the legal presumption is not intoxicated. My point is that our civil liberties are also important and one should be remember that.

The question in this incident is this: If me1455 had not had 3 beers, would she have been vigilant enough to look far down the street to her left to see the speeding drunk's car and perceive that he was about to blow the red light? Most drivers with 0.00 BAL would not be this vigilant.

And yes, me1455 could have easily been killed if the drunk had hit her in the driver's door.

Comment

got into a car accident!

Me, I am very glad you are ok. I often think about this - even if I am not legally drunk but have it in my system and someone else hits me, I just may wind up with a DUI myself. A DUI would ruin me. I'd be taking cabs everywhere and go broke which, btw, I encourage everyone to do (take cabs or have a designated driver) if UTI and need to drive somewhere (and yes, I have not always taken my own advice). One thing I try to do though is to get enough if I am going to be drinking. It is not what this forum is about (as the I idea is to moderate or go AF), but at least I am not out drinking and driving. I don't mean to criticize anyone, and I have deserved a DUI many times in my life. Just want to share that if one is going to drink, try to drink safely. A old timer who had 18 years of sobriety is the person who gave me this advice and it's probably saved me (and others) from a DUI or worse.
                    ^ My Baby Ruby ^

Comment

got into a car accident!

hey guys, thanks so much for your posts. bernard, im confused, you said that its best to refuse a breathalizer but what if you havent had more than one beer? id say take it then right? because if you refuse your pretty much screwed. one thing ive learned from cops is if they ask you if you drank anything, many are known to say " had two beers " when in reality they had more. if they say nothing cops hae told me its ur best bet. because if u say two beers, they then may check you. yes this actually was nothing to do with any of my choice, i ws makin the left and couldnt turn back. he just came out of the blue n this case, drove around the other cars and appeared out of nowhere change1, i even understand what u mean about buying enough so u dont go out and get more. luckily wth me my thing is wine. so the wine stores cloes at eight pm over here. hehe. however i still catch myself driving over the limit often, and have had some scary times where ive driven drunk and really regrettted it when i sobered up, like wanted to killmyself. havent done it lately. bu it has happened, another reason ive ordered the baclofen and have realized i absolutely must get a hold onthis an at least try these medications. one thing i know is, you really dont realize how your probably over. my bf told me that if you feel a THING your over. we are both heavy drinkers. i took a little experiment and bought a breathalizer. i had two large blue moons, which probably was the equivalent to maybe almost three small ones. ( thetaller glasses) we ate at themall, had the two beers, and walked around the mall for an hour. then back to the car. i blew ithink a .11 !!! i waws shocked. so you really never know. i also am only 105 pounds, 5'4.. so im sure a guy wouldntn blow that high!

Comment

got into a car accident!

No, never refuse the breath test or other chemical test. Yes, do not answer questions. Do not do any "field sobriety test" because it is just a charade in which they have already decided that you failed it no matter what. If you do well, the video of it will mysteriously disappear, or they'll say "they forgot to turn it on." And they will report that you did poorly. The test is to make probable cause to arrest you and ask for the chemical test. Cops have a thankless job, and they are human too and have developed ploys that make their life easier. If they think you're under the influence, there's no need to play their game. Just go for the chemical test (usually breath), which is required. If you're over the limit, so be it, they caught you. It's an adversarial game; they want you guilty, you want you innocent. They're more experienced with the rules and how to bend them because they do it everyday. They have "discretion," you have rights. Don't drink and drive and we'll all be happier.

Comment

got into a car accident!

I have 2 stories about this. I know someone who was driving after drinking but not having any problems. Then a car rear ended her @ the red light and she got a DUI then. That would really suck!

The other story is I was in the drive thru @ Taco Bell after drinking one night. The car in front of me had headbanger music blasting and it was pissing me off. So I cranked up my classical and opened the sunroof and rolled down the windows. Well, that pissed them off and when it was their time to move forward, they did not. Then the passenger got out of the car and was coming to my car. I motioned for him through the sunroof to get back in his car and he did. But they still were not moving up in the line and I wanted my bean burrito. So, I inched forward, and forward, and forward and then tapped his car like move the fuck up in the line. They did and we all got our food and left. I came home, ate the burrito, opened a 2nd bottle of wine, had music playing and get a knock @ my door. It was the police because a hit and run had been reported from the guys in the line @ Taco Bell. They asked if I had been drinking and I said yes, I was in my house. They had me walk the straight line and then wanted me to do the breathalizer. I refused. They were testing me in my own home 45 min after I was @ Taco Bell! They wanted to see my car for dents and there were none. How could I do a hit and run if I am in the line @ Taco Bell!?! Still pisses me off but nothing happened. Just a crazy night.

Comment

got into a car accident!

haha ok i get it. thanks folr ur advice. so what is your situation and helping with the bac?

Comment

got into a car accident!

ME - sounds like it was good to get the breathalizer. That must have been a shock as that doesn't sound like much at all, but as you say you are very small. Years ago before I had a drinking problem I was pulled over late at night for driving too slowly and making a wide turn. I was tired. I answered honestly (! drink) and it never occurred to me not to do the sobriety test, but i did tell him my balance was not great. The policeman was actually very nice and just sent me on my way with no breathalizer. I'm glad you were ok as those kinds of accidents can be very scary.

Comment

Working...
                              X