Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekly AA Thread - May 21 - May 27

Everyone:

Sometimes I forget to remember how much my life has changed in the 3 years since I stopped drinking. My husband & I just bought kayaks & have gone out on the water twice so far. This would have been unheard of in my drinking days. I would have been too scared to go, & I would not have wanted to "waste" precious drinking time. It hasn't been easy, as we're complete novices & senior citizens as well. But, the sense of well-being & accomplishment are priceless. I tend to forget how small my life had become while drinking. Instead of allaying my fears, alcohol backfired on me, & made them worse & worse. So, now I have to learn all over again how to take risks & do something new. Our risks aren't huge. We aren't white-water kayaking. But, just kayaking on a local lake or pond is huge for me.

I again marvel at how similar we alcoholics are. Regardless of how different a person's story is, there is always something to take away from it. Last night's story reminded me of how alone/isolated I was while drinking.

Mary
    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
    October 3, 2012

Just popping in because I'm finally starting the steps today, make one half assed attempt 2 years ago but my heart wasn't in it

I'm scared but excited that I will be cleaning house and moving on, too much old residue keeps popping up and putting my sobriey in danger so this action is important to me.

Wish me luck
    "When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it"

Comment

SB: I do wish you luck. It will be hard work too. But, you absolutely owe it to yourself & your sobriety to work the steps start to finish w/a sponsor. I just completed my 6th & 7th steps (which will be a lifelong project). I'm now almost through all of them. It has made a big difference in my life.

I just had a brief discussion w/a newcomer last night. He's at the stage in AA where he knows he needs AA in order to stay sober, as he's tried to stop on his own. But, he's afraid of the committment. I was there in the beginning too. I think that my failure to stop & my desperation kept me going to meetings until I was finally able to enjoy & benefit from the fellowship.

You're doing well. Keep it up.

Mary
      October 3, 2012

Comment

Congratulations reteacher!

Congratulations on your 3 years reteacher. I haven't been on MWO for over a year and miss the comraderie and inspiration. It's good to "see" old faces here and also the newcomers like SB who are beginning on this great road to sobriety.
        SB it is worth it, a rough road, but worth the challenge. Determination and support are the key. One day at a time is the way to do it. Get support and make new friends while doing it.

Winefree

Comment

WF: It's good to see you here. How are you doing? Are you at this AA thread because you joined? Take care, Mary
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi Mary and fellow AAers and also readers, lurkers, friends, etc.! Mary, I'm so glad you always keep this thread alive and going!

SB - the steps have been such a vehicle for sobriety & personal growth in my life. I hope you enjoy a similar experience!

WF - AWESOME to *see* you! How are things?

Mary - WOW on the kayaking!!! YOU GO GIRL! Everything you described about AL backfiring, the fears, and activities detracting from "drinking time" hits very close to home for me. I am so grateful I am not living in service to the bottle any more. Far better for me to at least try being in service to a higher power (the universe).

Today marks 4 sober years for me. I had a blood test this morning so was not able to get to my home group meeting, so will pick up my coin tomorrow. I did get a precious gift today however. A new sponsee! She is a beautiful woman who has been through a very, very rough time due to alcohol and some drugs. Listening to her story this morning reminded me of the low places AL took me, and made me very grateful for my sobriety. I hope new sponsee sticks with it long enough to really start experiencing the gifts sobriety can bring to her life. One day at a time is all we can do!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Doggy Girl: I couldn't be more proud of you for your 4 years sober. Congratulations! You absolutely deserve all the happiness you have now in sobriety. You've earned it! I'll be clapping along w/your fellow AAers when you go up & receive your coin. Love, Mary
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Doggy Girl

Just wanted to add my congratulations here on this thread also to your 4 wonderful AF years. You truly deserve your success and I am so pleased for you. Thank you for all the support you give to everyone. You have been a true inspiration to me and so many others and I will never ever forget your story with those motivational amazing photos.

Wish I could be there to see you get your coin!

Congratulations again xx

Comment

Sausage: Your story of stopping & then taking one drink is a reminder to me that I cannot have "just one." I hear it over & over. People, myself included, tend to think that after some sobriety, we can suddenly drink like normal people. For me, it's a disease/allergy, & I can never, ever have "just one." Thank God you found the strength to get back to sobriety. Some folks never do. Mary
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Thank you Mary,
                    someone said ( think it was Lavande) on another thread that they weren't sure if they had the strength for another quit in them. That is exactly how I feel and that is what keeps me going. I gather my experience ( months of sobriety and then one drink and drank again for years) is not uncommon? Those of you that attend regular AA meetings can hopefully confirm this? Since reading around this forum I've noticed a lot of people with similar relapses. The thought that I may never find the strength to do another quit is very sobering. Today is day 90 but I'm far from complacent, I just take things a day at a time. I must admit though that I'm looking forward to passing the day 257 mark ( where I failed last time).

Comment

Just wanted to say "congrats" Sausage!! Three months is such an accomplishment.
                      :lTDN
                      "One day at a time."

Comment

Sausage: I hear incredible relapse stories ALL THE TIME at meetings. Just last Tues., I guy is back in AA...he had relapsed after 17 YEARS of sobriety. A few weeks prior, a guy related that he had relapsed after 21 years. It's hard to believe, but the alcoholic thinking never leaves us. My sponsor has 27+ years, & she had recently thought about picking up a drink due to a crisis in her life. She hasn't & has stepped up her meetings, but the AAers call it "stinkin' thinkin'" never stops for some of us. As for me, I don't think about drinking very much but the occasional thought does pop into my head.

The other thing my sponsor has said is while she probably has another drunk in her, she does not have another recovery in her. Drunks are easy, recoveries are hard.

I hold tight to my sobriety every day. I don't take it for granted, because I've heard countless stories of relapse...people who thought they were "cured."

Mary
                        October 3, 2012

Comment

Congratulations Doggygirl on 4yrs sober
                          And Suasage on 3months well done!
                          Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                          sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                          my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Nearly went over the edgy last night with my hubby saying am better of drinking, me going to meetings is a bit too much for him only go 3times a week maybe 4 .... Am Staying strong,,, he did say sorry that night, but he just does not understand....

Sorry got to go times up ! keep strong one and all .x:l
                            Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                            sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                            my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

catch: My husband sometimes goes to meetings w/me.
                              -He sees how hard we must try to stay sober.
                              -He sees how easy it is to relapse.
                              -He sees how necessary meetings are.

I think he'd sometimes like me to be home more when he's here, but I cannot miss meetings. I must stay connected to AA in many ways. If I don't, I'll drink again.

Do what you have to do to stay sober. Sometimes our husbands say stuff wo/thinking as we do also. Good luck, Mary
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X