X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Good morning May friends,

Hope everyone had a safe night!
    Sadly watching news on the aftermath of the massive tornado in Oklahoma yesterday. I can't even imagine such complete devastation

Grateful to have gathered a few girls for lunch today, haven't seen them for a few months. Everyone is so busy since retiring

Wishing everyone a safe AF Tuesday!
    Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Hello all -

Lav, thanks for starting us out. So glad that you'll have some time with friends today.

I never watch the news, but did this morning to learn more about OK. Those poor poor people, what a shocking thing...

People coming for a dinner party tonight, so must get my work done so I can start cooking! Hope all have a good day -- stay safe everyone.
    to the light

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Good Afternoon Stars of May,

Lav, thank you for humoring me and starting the new thread.:h I'm glad you'll have some time with your lady friends today.

Cyn-ooohhh.....I love dinner parties....what are you making? Are your allergies any better?

I feel so badly for those poor, people in OK. I am so glad that since I'm not in the automotive industry anymore, I don't have to go there. I did get caught in a tornado in OK on my 48th B-day. I spent the night of my birthday in the musty, moldy basement of a rundown Ramada Inn....seeking shelter.

The weather is warm and lovely here and I am basking in the attention of my dear mother, who turned 86 yesterday. I will enjoy every minute I have with her. She is my world. We are going out to dinner tonight to celebrate her birthday.

Pap-how are you feeling?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful AF Tuesday. I am.

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Cyn- take cover! It's heading your way!
        New Birthday: May 8, 2010

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

No storms around here yet papmom
          It was hot & humid today - rather summery so I wouldn't be too shocked to see a T storm later.

Had a nice lunch with friends! One of them reports she just bought a house in FL & it has a guest room :yay:
          I'll be thinking about that next winter, for sure :H

My wacky spouse & son are driving to Maine Saturday, going out on a fishing boat Sunday & driving home Monday. What the hell??
          I think they're both nuts & a lot alike really :H

Guess I'd better go put the chickens to bed before some crazy storm gets here.
          Have a good & safe night everyone!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Lav-a tornado was heading for cyn's neck of the woods.haven't heard if there was any damage. It first touched down right on the border of ny and ma. Hope the storms didn't find you. They were pretty strong around here with some hail.

"Because dwelling from, not upon, the space you want to inherit is the fastest way to change absolutely everything."[/i]-The Universe

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Good morning friends!

No storms here just gloomy as hell
              Hope everyone is OK!

Need more coffee then I'm going to push myself out to Curves - will check in later.
              Have a safe day everyone!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Hey all -

thanks for the heads-up, Pap! (or should that be heads-down?). We were OK here, but a tornado allegedly touched down just north of us, and there was plenty of hail just a mile north of here. We were relatively untouched - thank goodness, since our dinner guests drove from southern MA to our house. We called and offered a 'rain check' (literally) but they are hearty souls (or fool hardy), and they came anyway.

So Rusty, I cooked dinner with one ear on the emergency radio! I also cooked everything ahead in case we lost power, but as it turned out we were fine. I was kind of looking forward to candlelight everywhere. Menu - a wonderful pasta dish I've made several times recently: linguine with browned butter cauliflower, currents and red pepper flakes. Also pan-seared swordfish, and a field greens/arugula salad with apricot goat cheese. Sad to say, it was a bakery dessert, but yummy - mixed berry pie.

My guests brought lots of rhubarb; thinking about how to cook and freeze it so that I can use it later...

Had PT this morning for these ongoing neck/shoulder issues - seems like a pinched nerve is the latest aggravation. It's seriously slowing down my landscaping efforts! Must get to work now. Here's wishing you all a safe, AF day -
                to the light

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

seriously Cyn-I HAVE to wrangle an invite from you! That dinner sounded totally delish!! yummo!

Another tornado warning tonite-this time just north of where my brother lives-heading northeast of me. Do these things understand I haven't had time to prepare the basement yet? They'll just have to wait until this weekend. hrmphhh.

Tonite I went about 40 min out of my way to pick up 2 brand new digital tv converters from a freecycler. They work perfectly (I still need to get an indoor antenna for the basement one) and I now have TV in my living room for the first time since December!! Thanks to Freecycle, I now have a gorgeous white headboard with shelves for books and/or knickknacks and 2 digital converters. For Free. These things would have cost me well over $100 total if bought new. I am the Queen of Freecycle!!:H

I am feeling better although tire easily. Can't wait for this weekend and getting things done around the house as well as my nephew's baseball game. Weather doesn't look great but doable.

Dill-you must be counting down from 10 by now!! Exciting!!!

Rusty-any word yet from the client?

Dill-glad you checked in a few days ago. Whenever you can, OK?

Lav-on NPR today: Boomer Housemates Have More Fun : Shots - Health News : NPR

We've always joked about something like this. Maybe its time to think seriously about it? I went to the golden girls network website. A little weird. It says its a membership network but no info on membership fees. I submitted my info but the message after submitting was very confusing. Website is very spare. I think Bonnie needs a techie as a roommate :H!!

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Great News! I Got The Job! Thanks To All My Friends Here :-)

Hi MayStars,:h

I wish I could have written earlier this afternoon but I had no time to write. I got the job! My new client did not even try to reduce the number of consulting days. I just wanted to say how grateful I am to all of you for standing by me and cheering me on. Besides my mother and sister, you guys were the ones I wanted to tell first.:h You have no idea how I wanted to type a quick post but I couldn't do it without my client seeing me.:H

Pap-your headboard sounds absolutely lovely. I had never heard of Freecycle until you shared it here. I'm glad you weren't whipped away by the tornado and that you're feeling better. Are you doing your demo job this weekend?

Cyn-that dinner sounds delicious. Care to post the recipe in the Recipe Corner?

Lav-I think you should go to Florida during the winter. If anyone deserves a rest, it's you!:l

Ok, kids, I have a boatload of work tonight so will sign off for now. Thanks again for being the best cyber friends anyone could have!:h

Love,

Rusty

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

CONGRATS RUSTY!!!!! This is such great news - just think of where you've come in terms of your work self-esteem. You are such a model of persistence and moving forward, no matter how scary it seemed. I think this is just the beginning of a cornucopia of great things that will come your way!

Pap, you free-cycler! Good job on all the things that you are nabbing. I have to check it out in my neck of the woods as well...you just never know. In the meantime, the hot tub and the table and 6 chairs that I put ads in the paper and Craig's List for have garnered 1 response. Ah well...not ready to Freecycle them yet. We are lucky here; our Transfer Station has a Swap Shop, where everyone brings their stuff when they need it to move on. I picked up an adorable gardening tool kit there (vintage - probably from the 50's).

Star, I hope that you got home OK in all this weather. Dill - counting the days with you. Lav - a FL trip sounds just right for you. Sooty, where ever you are, happy hump day! Hope all you Mindfuls have a sweet AF night.
                      to the light

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Hey kids!

Still no storms here, actually saw bits of sunshine today. But, it got so humid I turned the AC on
                        It's really becoming necessary d/t allergies anyway.

Interesting article Papmom & I swear I have been talking about communal living with my girlfriends for the past 30 years!!! :H:H
                        We all agreed that we would do just fine, help with each other's kids, etc. Maybe we should have gone ahead with it - you never know.

Rusty, congrats to you :yay:
                        You deserve all the good stuff

cyn, good to hear the storms stayed away from you & your awesome dinner!
                        You should put up a yard sale sign & when people arrive, point them to the hot tub! You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we have unloaded that way. Only YB could sell two canoes at a yard sale!!

I have to get Matilda in for her yearly checkup tomorrow at 9 am - oh boy!
                        My daughter is supposed to come out at lunch time but I'll tell her to stay home if we end up with the big storms they are predicting.

Have a good night one & all
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Lav-it's never too late!! You have such a big house and yard I bet it would be easy to fit 2 or 3 of your buddies in there. Think how much fun it would be!!

YEAAAAAAAA RUSTYYYYYYYYY!!! I agree with Cyn-you have come such a long way in a year. When that door slammed, it took a while but what opened up behind another door has been nothing but golden light! I see angels and halo's and and and........
                          No demos for the next 2 weeks by design. I definitely need the time off!

Star-if you are on your way home, I hope you have a safe trip, are able to avoid the storm and had a fantabulous time at your retreat!! Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Cyn-what kind of table and chairs? Outdoors or dining?

off to work. bleahhhhhhh.

KO the Beast!!

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Good morning May friends from the land of gloom again
                            Oh well, not much I can do about the weather, huh??

It's kind of (strangely) funny Papmom but the two girls I used to discuss communal living with are now contented in their lives aka they whipped their husbands into shape :H
                            I never had the desire to whip YB into behaving 'normally'. I merely expected him to do all that on his own. It always was his choice, right?

I need to get myself together & get Matilda to her vet appointment.
                            Have a great day everyone!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Mindful May ~ Week 3

Good Afternoon, AF MaySTARs,

Speaking of stars....Star, I hope you're safe, and please check in when you get home. We're all anxious to hear about your retreat.

Thanks again you guys for all the kudos on getting this new project.:h

Cyn-yes, getting my confidence back with regard to work has been a real journey. I can't believe it's been over a year since I flunked that exam. I don't know if I'm an example of persistence....all I know is....I couldn't give up because I needed the work.:H

Lav-communal living....sounds like a Mormon kinda thing. Just kiddin. Um, no, not for me, though. I prefer my solitude. My mom didn't even try to whip my dad into shape because she knew it was pointless....fortunately he mellowed over the years.

Ok, back to work. Rather boring day today.....just doing paperwork for the client.

Big hellos to those MIA: Dill (counting the days with you), TDN, Sooty, and Perse....I miss you guys! To everyone else I may have missed...have a fabulous AF Thursday.

Comment

Working...
                              X