Lexapro anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lexapro anyone?

Oh my -- I'm the diva who hasn't had a drink in several weeks but also is on Effexor and wants to change because I have read of nasty side effects also I wanrt to have a damn sarisfying sex life -- wellbutrin is not a choice according to my shrink b/c it's in a different "family" so I tapering down the Effexor and will begin Lexapro any experts out there? La Liz looking for advice.

Lexapro anyone?

La Liz, I think pretty much all off it kills the sex life. I'm a xanax / valium girl. I get panic attacks. So far doctor has found nothing that has helped with depression. They tend to wear off, so to speak and I don't want to up dosages. Sorry I couldn't help
    Mary

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Mary -- I've done the xanax/valium thing too but my Dr. won't precribe it to me ...

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Mary I need to find a picture of La Liz on the phone ...

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Why won't he give you the xanax and valium. I need the xanax to sleep and the valium if I have a panic attack during the day. Don't worrry La Liz, I'm on the case we will find a pic of Liz on the phone.
          Smiles
          Mar

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

they are addictive and are a temporary fix... meanwhile I have just ordered valium online... La Liz gets what La Liz wants!

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

La true, but be careful, I can handle valium as I take only when panicked. like during a botox injection. But Xanax I cannot get off of. were down to 1mg a night. some progress at one point it was 5mg at night.Plus large amounts of wine. Lucky I'm still here with La LIz
              Smiles
              Mary

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Hi StillCrawling

Hi there,

I'm on Lexapro as well as the Campral and have found it to be the most well tolerated of all the AD's and AA's I have taken. I have found no side effects EXCEPT:

sexual dysfunction... (as in it takes AGES for me to ejaculate..)

so that might defeat the whole purpose of why you want to switch drugs?

Apart from that (and I myself am not bothered by it and neither is my wife..) it is a very good medication that has greatly reduced my anxiety and has left me feeling better overall.

All the best with it.

Cheers,
                David

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Mary -- well I'm off the chardonnay & the xanax and Valium is in moments of real need ... but I'm on Lexapro or about to be... what I really want is a chardonnay ... one benefit is that I am a size 6 again ... looking forward to that photo ... have a great evening signing off for now... La Liz

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

David -- are you enjoying yourself or getting too frustrated -- my Dr. said some people have some luck with Cymblata? (sp?) perhaps look into it?

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

StillCrawling - LOL, did you read my other post? hehe.. No it's fine, I wouldn't want to give up the lexapro at this stage anyway

61 days AF...

David

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Hey Still,
                        Lexapro, is one of the best anti depressants out there, because the side effects are pretty much nill. The normal dose is 10 mg daily, but for serious depression you can up it to a max of 40 mg. It is made by the same manufacture as Campral, and there is not problem taking both medications.
                        Yikes Xanac and Valium are highly addictive, and the withdrawals from both medications can be severe, so be careful those of you who indulge.
                        Meow-Meow
                        MonaKitty

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

OKAY, I AM THE LEXAPRO QUEEN!

I almost changed my name to "Lex", but after some thought, ruled it out.

Here's my experience from the positive and negative. I'll give the good news first.

GOOD NEWS:
                          1. Helps great with depression. (which is what I needed it for).
                          2. Makes me wake up at 6 a.m. feeling like the energizer bunny even if I went to bed at 1 a.m. (that's a benefit to me anyway!)
                          3. Makes me want to go to bed around nine to ten p.m. (which is unusual for me.. night owl).
                          4. Appetite suppressant, weight loss. (great for five pounds, then I'm trying to stabilize).
                          5. Alcohol craving suppressant. THIS WAS HUGE for me for about the first three weeks. I could not finish two sips of a second glass of wine. I was bragging about it on here... it worked better than Topamax for me. But like a light bulb, it went away just like all the other above forementioned wonderful side affects with the exception of the depression. It kept helping with that.

BUT, it still helped with the depression, which is why in fact, I was taking it in the first place.

BAD NEWS:
                          1. Nausea. Effexor did that to me too... so I had to finally take Lexapro at night. This worked great: I slept through the nausea and got the benefits of the drug through the day.
                          2. Loss of appetite. This may seem like a benefit to many, but to me it was not. It was fun for about five pounds, but I craved carbs the whole time I was on it, but could only take two bites and then was full... strange! All the salads and fish that I once loved seemed disgusting to me. All I wanted was chips, pasta and garbage, but still lost weight because I was nauseated or could only eat two bites. I have a sensitive tummy, so maybe I am that one in a gazillion statistic.
                          3. The WORST side effect, was that it made me angry and forgetful. I have talked to many others who had this same experience, so it is common. YES, I was no longer depressed, but I was ready to chop everyone's head off! I am not an angry person by nature, but rather very patient and the listening ear and "fixer" of everything, so for me to start chopping people's head's off was very odd! My husband asked me if I was taking "bitch pills!" I was also constantly forgetting appointments, walking into the kitchen for a set reason, and then getting there and scratching my head completely unable to recall why I came in there. So I figured I would rather be depressed than angry and forgetful and have no sex life... lol, and went off!

So I went off of them, and got depressed! LOL! Spent a month depressed, then got REALLY depressed, so am back on it for two days now, and feel so much better. I am on the lowest dose. I think my strategy this time is to take one every OTHER night. I just cant handle the full dose I guess!

Hope this helps??
                          Allie (Lex )
                          What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Hi,

I've been taking lexapro for a about two months and it has been a huge help with taming my stress levels. The depression is still there, but I think that's more of the need to change lifestyle--hence the very reason I am here. I wouldn't give up on it. I still have a lot to deal with and I can say in all honesty since starting lexapro I feel more able to try to get a handle on it. Before I had so much tension built up in me. I was angry at the world and myself. But now I am able to think alittle more rationally and that is a very positive thing. Give it a little more time and continue to be proactive in your choice to change your drinking habits. You can do this!

Julie

Comment

Lexapro anyone?

Thank yoo to everyone with your insights
                              Mona Cat -- not to worry about the Xanax/Valium I am quite aware of the addictive nature of these substances. I do appreciate the concern -- so cure that you are MonaCat...
                              Allie -- I do not suffer from anger issues I am more prone to withdraw (my sister has the anger issues) I started antidepressants several years ago when I suffered severe depression during winter (SAD) and my PMS was soooooo bad ...

Julie -- thanks for the support --

My concern is that I am on 150 mg. of Effexor now and she wants me to transition to 10 mg to Lexapro -- yikes ... any thoughts? La Liz

Comment

Working...
                              X