Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now into AF mode - but what to do about caffeine Cigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, ok, so I'm over the 'hump' for my feared withdrawal (day10AF sort' a) but aside from that....has anyone noticed a substantial increase for the need of cigs and coffee? It is hard to say whether or not I AM smoking more, it is just different since alcohol isn't involved. One thing I've noticed however, is that I now take cig. breaks during my little 10minute breaks. Never before have I even carried my cigs around with me during the day?

Just a question to see if anyone else is noticing similar effects AF.

Have a great day, congratulations and best wishes to all
    4ever

Kid,

I don't smoke, and I've always had my coffee in the morning. So now I'm switching to Iced tea in the afternoon in the afternoon instead of lite beer until wine time. Now I'm just continuing on with the tea until I get sick of it then ice water. I just don't know what else to drink. I don't like soda or carbonated drinks. Sometimes a tonic with lemon. The Topa has taken my desire for food at the moment. So I guess I'm not the best person to answer.

I'd make a pot of coffee right now but I'd not be able to sleep. (don't like decaf).

Hopefully someone else will come along soon to answer about the tobacco.

Melissa
    If I ruin my body where will I live? :ranger

Comment

I guess bingeing on caffeine and cigarrettes is very typical for people who quit drinking.

Check the research section and reading section for excerpts from the book Seven Steps to Sobriety, Joan Matthews Larsen. The author advocates giving caffeine and cigs up.

I think if you really want to be healthy and create a situation that fosters abstinence or moderation, you should consider how cigarettes and nicotine affect your cravings for alcohol, your moods and your physical well-being.

But it's hard to tackle things all at once.

there are also some good threads about alternative drinks. i have a lot of sparkling water with a splash of different kinds of fruit juices. someone here suggested pomegranite juice and i like it a lot...

Comment

What Nancy said.
        Don't try to quit it all at once. Our greatest problem is alcohol. If we can get free from it's hold, the others can be next.
        bear
        What St. Frances of Assisi said of himself is true for me.
        ?If God can work through me He can work through anybody.?

Comment

Hey, hang in there. I've heard that in detox units cigarette consumption goes to a new high. Don't be hard on yourself. My doctor told me it was more healthy to give up alcohol than cigarettes.

One addiction at a time.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Hi,

I actually quit smoking a couple of months after committing to this program. I have had a few "slips" with nicotine. I've caved and smoked a few puffs a few times. But I haven't bought or borrowed a cigarette in a month. I have found remains in a forgotten ashtray in the house or car and inhaled a few puffs, much to my disappointment. But I have also had the aid of the prescription Chantix, which has helped with the craving immensely. I wish quitting or moderating alcohol was as easy! Good luck.

Julie

Comment

God i know what you mean, i have craved heaps of stuff,even stuff i dont normaly crave, but i am really worried about the cigs, have had a really sore throat since i have been taking the supps, bloody scared its cancer or something, (drama queen) just try to cut back everything, i always binged smoked as well as drinked, so cut down heaps but feel it more. not much help
              chill
              ACCEPTANCE IS A POWERFUL THING

Comment

yeah, I agree with everyone. My doctor told me alcohol is the worst for your body of all the (legal) vices. Take on one addiction at a time. If the cigs and coffee help you get through the hardest days, don't worry so much.

As for advice, I would say just being aware of the fact that you are using your other addictions to replace your alcohol needs will help you keep it in check. Try to alternate your replacement vices so you don't use any one of them too much.

I also drink much more coffee than I used to but since too much makes me jittery and anxious-- much like lack of alcohol does -- I realize that is backfiring on me. I've been drinking iced coffee lately, with a lot less coffee in it and more milk and ice. It's a great summer drink. I also eat a lot more chocolate now (a new vice for me) but I try to take it in small portions (M&Ms are good for this). Cherries and grapes are also good to feed that oral fixation. Peanuts too.

Anyway, the point is to stay AF, whatever it takes. And you are apparently doing great. congrats!
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

4everakid,
                  This shall be my 3rd AF night, and to be perfectly honest, I feel I have enough to cope with at the mo., just steering clear of the wine. So, am allowing myself my tea and my ciggies, as for now, I do need these little saviours. Tackling one issue at a time is quite enough for any mere mortal!!! lol............just my personal perspective on this subject.

Starlight Impress

Comment

My caffiene and coffee intake has increased... I have grocery delivery here and I go though gallons of liquid a week now. I'm drinking everything; pop, Orangina, Ice Tea, Coffee, Pelegrino and Perrier..anything I can to keep my empty hand away from the wine or beer.

I don't smoke so I can't help you with that one.

I read that people who have addictions often replace one addiction with another. My father replaced his drinking with golf. He golfes all the time!! He reads about it, watches it on TV..if it has anything to do with golf he is there. He's been 10+ years sober, I am so proud of him. He does smoke though, and I have noticed he smokes a lot more though...

Comment

4ever,

I, too, smoke and have noticed when I go AF for even a day, my smoking goes sky high!!

My doctor told me to reduce the caffeine consumption while trying to stop drinking, because the caffeine will increase anxiety, which will make dealing with the cravings more difficult. However, she said to "fool" myself into it by making my coffee half and half regular and decaf, to avoid the caffeine withdrawal headache.

I have read that the topa can help you quit smoking and drinking. (Bearing in mind that it requires you want to quit, not a silver bullett)

On the bright side, my hat is off to you. You are doing so well and I look forward to seeing your posts. 10 Days AF is a huge success. Hang in there!! :goodjob:

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

4Eva

Congrats on day 10 AF.

I must admit my smoking has actually decreased becaused I do tend to smoke more when drinking and also I'm trying to quit come 1st July when England goes smokefree!!!!!

However I am drinking coffee more often. Usually I'd just have the one cup in the morning and it would keep me going all day, but being AF brings on some terrible headaches and I crave coffee. I've recently started to drink more water to stop the headaches and have switched to de-caf as the amount of coffee I was drinking made it hard for me to sleep at night.

Comment

I'm like Julie. I quit smoking after joining this site, and in that time, I allowed myself to drink "normally" (ie way too much) for 2 weeks while I adjusted to being smoke free, and now after 2.5 months of being smoke free am coping well with AF. So based on my own experience, I'd suggest doing one thing at a time, in whatever oder best suits you.

Good luck and enjoy your new lifestyle as it develops!
                          Scoobs
                          :heart: Sobriety - Keep it simple :heart:

Comment

you are all faaantaaastic, good on you.

I have addictions coming out of my ears - food, nicotine, booze only one i don't have is drugs !
                            Anyway, good luck to all of us, yeh.
                            I feel as though it's all happening to someone right next to me.
                            I'm close, I can feel it, I can hear it, but it isn't really me.

Marilyn Monroe

Comment

Hey 4ever (and everyone), just got this tip in another thread in General Discussion forum. Go to:

Alcoholism: A Physical Disease

Besides being mind-boggling, eye-opening information (at least for me) it mentions that nicotine and caffeine are no-nos in recovering alcoholics. Read it and see why. (But don't worry, it is well worth reading. It completely blew me away.)
                              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X