Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now into AF mode - but what to do about caffeine Cigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the whole address if that didn't work. (Don't know how she did that in her message):

Alcoholism: A Physical Disease
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

p.s everyone who has not read that yet (from 7 Weeks to Sobriety) please PLEASE read it.

Alcoholism: A Physical Disease
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Thanks for the input

Hey Everyone,
        Thanks for the great advice Congratulations to all those who've quit it all....wow, what a trememdous acheivement!!! For those of us doin the day by day thing, I wish us all lots of luck to make it through each vice at a time Everyone sounds to be doing fantastic!! Beatle that article was great! I have added it to fav's to read again later. I'm am currently sitting here coffee and cig in hand....better than beer though! I guess I will get my butt outside and go for a walk....time to adopt new hobbies, GG sounds like it worked for your dad Talkin about new hobbies, I am going to try and adopt a new system of taking care of myself.....going to dentist, hairdresser, esthetician...etc... Just to feel fab again ...usually that helps in sortin out all of the other stuff
        Good luck to all, congrats again on everyones success!!!
        4ever

Comment

The Seven Weeks to Sobriety argument about cigarettes and caffeine was very convincing to me and I followed the advice. The same author also has a book called Depression Free Naturally which is very informative.

The approach I have taken is that I have not been ready to quit drinking, so I cleaned up my whole diet first. Nice delay tactic!.

So I stopped caffeine etc. Didn't smoke.

If you can, drop most of the caffeine. I realize that smoking is very tough to beat.

Comment

I agree with Nancy. Cut the caffeine as much as you can (that's the easier one as it is not so hard to wean off it if you do it gradually). With the nicotine, however, you probably need some help. Have you tried the patch?

What Nancy said (above) makes me think about how I've noticed that as a group we seem to be very concerned with health, and a lot of us know alot about nutrition and healthy living and apply it to our lives-- and yet still drink like fish (actually I don't think fish drink, do they?) and some also smoke like chimneys (which can really only be considered passive smokers). but you get the point.

Doesn't it seem like a huge contradiction to eat healthily, exercise regularly, and live a healthy livestyle in most ways and then consistently drink alcohol beyond moderation? It doesn't seem to make any sense. We all know how bad it is for us. We know it is killing us. And still we do it. Why? Hmm, maybe I should start a new thread on this.

Anyway, good going 4ever.

Comment

Beatle's theory

You are right, there is a contradiction.

One possible explanation is the little wish that by having all our nutrients in place and mental illnessess in check, the cravings will go away.

Comment

Yes, that and the other little wish/hope that if we lead a healthy lifestyle in every other way that maybe it will make up a little for the damage we do (or did) to ourselves with alcohol?

Comment

Working...
                X