Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to think about...

Hello all

I've been on here for a month and find it useful when I am down (usually after drinking and feeling like shit the next day)

I have cut my drinking in half since being here

But have to say, I have stopped logging on everyday as I find it a real downer reading and posting with lots of other alcoholics and hearing their problems and how messed up their lives are...

I am of course, included in this group but I don't need it in my face everyday and need to get on with real life....

Also, I have learned that most people on here (or at least lots) have an underlying mental illness causing them to drink...Depression/anxiety (That's me) Loneliness or Bipolar, panic attacks etc...

So would encourage people to go to a Doctor if they are want to sort out their drinking...

Seems like we drink for a reason....

Just my view...

I would never tell you what to do... Just running my ideas by you....

What do you all think?

David xxx
    The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
    Oscar Wilde

((David))

While I agree a lot of people self-medicate with alcohol due to being depressed or bipolar, etc. I don't think our group is at all downers. I think they are some of the funniest, brightest, most caring group of people I have come across in one group. What I wonder is if YOU might be keying in on the folks that are having problems like you, though :goodjob: on cutting down, rather than the successful ones?

I do think people who drink tend to get tunnel vision.

But if hanging out too much here IS bad for you, then do whatever helps you. That IS the reason we are all here.

Comment

Hear what you say and agree that there must be reasons behind the drinking.

Doctors however, ???
      My quack is on the verge of being an alchy, and will not know how to handle her predicament, let alone others.
      Also they do not have the resources or the where for all to deal with our situations. This is why self help seems to be the only way . In the UK anyway.
      And this is why thsi forum is helping me!

Ps what's Bipolar??

Purpl

Comment

I have toyed with making a Dr. appointment many times regarding my drinking, and why I am drinking (panic attacks in the car and boredom for sure, but I mean really "why"). What has stopped me from making that appointment is just plain embarrassment. I am ashamed. I'm 42, married, mom of 2, intelligent, good job, etc., etc., and a secret (or not so secret) alcoholic. I just can't say those words out loud yet. Wish I could.

I'm new here, so haven't even had a Day One behind me yet, but I'm working on it. I've learned lots of stuff so far, and feel I have some new tools to try this myself. I'm thinking that if this time doesn't work, I'm going to have to suck it up and have a chat with someone who can help me.

Good post. Good points.

~Catt
        AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Guess I am in a different situation here in Australia....Drs are very clued in and have no probs with alcohol or depression, and VERY helpful....It also costs almost nothing... And Hart, you are right...I did hone in on all the mad drunk people (concentrating on the positive ones now, hope you'll be one of them
          The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
          Oscar Wilde

Comment

Purple.....Bi Polar is Manic Depressive....
            Oscar Wilde

Comment

I usually try to post positive stuff... helps me to feel happy and hopeful! I've also been enjoying the humour board - keeps me on this site and gives my day a lift!

*happy vibes to everyone*

~Catt
              AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

David

I find this forum like a breath of fresh air. Yes it can be sad to hear read some posts but then whenever I have needed a "cyber" shoulder to cry on I have done so here. After venting I feel better about the situation. Hopefully I am able to do the same and help others in need. We are all different. It's whats works for us as individuals.

Mandy x

Comment

David, I could not disagree more with you. The majority of us are, as Hart said, as positive, funny, caring as they come. We all come here every day with all sorts of moods and issues, and I would say the positive far outweighs the negative. Every day I come here and laugh so hard over many fun, lighthearted things that take place. Obviously you have not read enough to know this.

If you find coming here to be such a downer then perhaps this is not the place for you.
                  I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

David,

I agree with Lushy, and I pesonally take offence to your label of "Drunk mad people".

I am not denying that many of us here have underlying mental health problems, but in my own personal experience I would say that my depression is exacerbated, if not caused by my drinking, rather than the other way around.

By my calculations it is very early in the morning where you are and I have to wonder why you are awake at this time. Maybe you have insomnia or maybe you have had a drink tonight, and maybe that is the cause of this thread.

You are entitled to your view of course, but in my view I would rather read posts from people who are reaching out for help, albeit when they are down and in trouble, than posts from people who are negative towards others struggles.

Kitty
                    Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.
                    Confucius

Comment

Amen Kitty.
                      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

A forum is a forum...its people and this ones focus is on starting a journey out of alcohol addiction....alcohol is a depressant is it not? but used by many who are depressed already to try and forget....

There is so much encouragement here, there is wisdom, there is concern, there are up beat people, and down people as well as all in between.

Some days the trend may be depressing, yet other days there is much joy and success.

This is a tool, a release, a comfort, a kick in the butt, a pat on the back, a source of knowledge from experienced lived,

Use it as much as needed or little.
                        Control the Mind

Comment

(((Kitty, Lushy)))

Read Idiot's 2nd response. He acknowledged that he had been perhaps hasty and wants to change his attitude.:l

Comment

Idiot Wind,

I am truly saddened by your post as it seems to me that you have forgotten the spirit of these boards or maybe I don't have a firm grip of what these boards mean. I would like to congratulate you on successfully cutting down by a half in only a month. That is an amazing accomplishment.

I would hope that you gain something from these boards but I honestly found your post really offensive. I can't speak for anyone here but myself. I wont even attempt to. Your post may even be right on the money, but it was simply rude. There are so many folks struggling with issues here and are getting help that they would not otherwise recieve that your callous post was really uncalled for.

I can appreciate your view point I just wonder was it really necessary to label people "mad drunk people"?

Oh and Hart I in no way see how IW's second response was any better than the first. There was no reconcilliatory response in it at all that I read.
                            Hablur

Comment

hablur, you speak for me, so much.

just the other night i was in despair and the only place i felt i could off load was here, and the response was what i needed. i did feel that i shouldnt as i didnt want to bring people down, but i was told that good and bad is welcomed as this is what this forum is for, support and congratulations.

if you, idiot wind, dont like the way some threads are going, dont read them. simple. you need the 'up' threads to help you so read only those. because i'm not 'up' at the moment i read but do not often respond to the down threads, but i think the posters feel better for letting their feelings out and this is what this forum is all about.

having said that, i would like to think that i give and take here (more take at he moment lol).

roxane

Comment

Working...
                              X