• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to think about...

Grey

Yes, Grey, it does matter.

Give it some more thought.

Thank you David for your post. I too find that I must take a break from this site and I have been sober for years.

I find the sadness here hard at times. Yes there is laughter, concern,warmth and support within a great group of people but offline the sadness and hardship, grief and despair in those lives still overwhelms. These are just words on a screen. This forum cannot possibly replace a real life support group, there are others, not just AA.

Not everyone shares the laughter here.

I have read the posts about the addictive quality of the board with some concern.
    Many, if not more than many, addicts have pre-existing mental health issues. The suggestion to just read the good/happy/success story posts was a good one but might be easier said than done. I, too, am concerned about the depressive addict who feels compelled to read all the posts daily.

May I also express my deep concern regarding those of you ordering your medication online from India. Anyone can put anything in a blister pack and call it anything they want.
    Please beware. Topamax requires a Rx for a reason.

However wonderful you find this program and forum to be
    I agree with David that nothing can replace a physician in your fight against your addiction.
    The combination of this program/ forum/ physician would be ideal IMHO and certainly not just the forum alone. The addict, as we know, is not always in a position to make good choices. The assistance of a physician is invaluable.

I too questioned if I should post or not but I feel that David brought up valid points. I don't mind being called a "mad drunk". I am a "mad drunk".

These, of course, are just my opinions. You may now flame away.

I know that some of you feel very strongly about this forum, have formed friendships, told "secrets", and shared your lives. I also know that as recovering addicts/addicts we are a very vulnerable group of people. Take good care.

magic xx:anon:
    ~Are you looking for the Holy One?
    I am in the next seat.
    My shoulder is against yours. ~Kabir

Comment

Thought-provoking

Wow Magic.what a post. I don't think you should be a target.

I think overall this thread has turned out to be thought-provoking and am glad for that.

I like the way you worded your post. I think it is possible to air different viewpoints in a non-offensive way. i think it is good to be critical if it is constructive.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

Magic - thank you for your excellent post.

David - I don't know whether I'm accustomed to the "no-frills" approach of Aussies but I certainly took no offense at your post. G-d, if "mad drunk" was the worst thing I'd ever been called, I'd be very, very happy.

Your point is valid. I know there are quite a few 'oldbies' who are now either totally abs. or have their drinking at an acceptable level and are no longer posting or actively involved on this site because to constantly read of newbies' struggles just takes them back to a place where they just don't want to be. Others also don't want to constantly read about drinking/alcohol/depression/despair. They find it detrimental to their own progress. And that's ok. We know when to move on.

I can no longer read each and every post on every thread. I don't need to. I'm letting go. I have always said that this Forum is totally self-regulating and self-propelling. The enthusiasm of newbies will dictate the momentum of other newbies. They will steer and encourage each other. Some oldbies will watch from the wings and jump in when they see someone stumbling. My involvement now is minimal. I tend to watch out for oldbies, maybe sending the occasional PM or adding a bit of silliness - just to stay vaguely connected.

My real involvement and interaction is now away from the boards. I have met some people and they have become a real and integral part of my life because they showed me how to laugh again. I was extremely lucky to have made some fantastic and magical connections.

So, David - (I can't possibly call you Idiot_Wind) - thanks for your post. I wish you all good things.

Comment

leave it to the frog to say it perfectly. i feel the same way. and truthfully, no one on the site could ever say anything @ this point to rattle me. that makes me happy.

Comment

Hi David,

Your post is the reason i don't go to AA! I think it would depress me even more.

I agree with you that most alcoholics have some sort of underlying mental illness or condition. I also believe that perhaps alcoholism can be explained by a chemical deficiency, as i often crave sugar, which seems to be quite common. It seems that some people just crave carbohydrates and sugar period.

In relation to this board though, i have found the opposite. I largely have this site to thank for starting and remaining af for the past 35+ days. I feel it is the right thing for me, but each to his own. Perhaps it is not for you.

Anyway, good luck in your quest for an af life, or one of moderation. Whatever you choose
            One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

SELF-LOATHING.

I drank last night.......got thoroughly p***** last night............some of you will know I was hellbent on drinking last night , due to my rodent problem and a whole lot of other reasons besides............and JUST BECAUSE!!!

Guess I was angry at the world last night for nothing other than.............MY FAILINGS. So, I spouted my anger here, looking for someone/thing to blame for failing.

Truth is, I got myself into this mess and only I maintain my mess..........the blame is mine alone.

I value this community and am sorry if I took my anger out on M.W.O. last night. I so want to annihilate my personal mess. I think I may well have to take the bull by the horns, and admit that moderation just isn`t going to work for me.........guess I`ve just been THE GREAT PRETENDER these past 5 wks. I have attempted mods.

I woke up hating myself, as I know full well, that only I alone ,can give me my life back.............

Starlight Impress

Comment

Morning starlight,

You are allowed a few relapses along the way, considereing your dislike of the mouses.

One swallow doesnt spoil the summer (excuse the pun).

Anyway your back and keep on track..

I feel likes getting ars**led tonight , but mustnt do it..

Purple..

Comment

Purps,
                  Keep taking the Kudzu, resist the tempation to go wild tonight. Your mood says 'healthy'.
                  Good luck, keep busy.
                  Butterfly

Comment

what a very interesting thread. i have been away from threads alot so haven't checked in. i may be missing something. humm. i'm under doctors care, enjoy the threads, enjoy my home group immensely. and always checking into mwo find something useful and valuable and meaningful. find connecting meaningful. not looking to make a new addiction as in a fix for something. and not looking to replace so to speak anything either. soo, hummm
                    i would say and this was probably covered already. but take what you need and leave the rest. hopefully you have contributed something valuable or at least added something as a bonus in the meantime. as in not always taking. lol you get the gist.
                    and david, i'd say check in to see what your expectations were regarding this program, website, open forum, self regulating forum. there is no rules or guidelines for this community. it operates as a free society. so get involved or an uninvolved as you wish. people come and people go. people watch and listen, people participate, people give immense amount of love and there are times people really need it. people come for a listening. they are hurting and healing takes place in the ability to share where they can't elsewhere with anonymous avatars and hearts that can get it. let that healing begin. people continue to do as they will, people change. it is all free choice. it is a free society. if you had an opinion it should be some other way or wish to start a thread that would institute the virtual world you wish to create, then i would say bully for you. create that thread and see if there are avatars that wish to join in that society. there maybe many on the boards with an underlying something that goes along with the desire to overdrink. and that is for them to deal with in the ways they need to do so. doctors, no doctors, homeopathic, literature, friends, there are infinite ways for a soul on this planet to chose to live the path. and we are all smart enough to find that way. step by step tis the journey of self love and self discovery. what i value most about this community is the ability to love each and every while reading their stories, and knowing that no matter what they have found a place called hope. and they will do with their life as they see fit. tis not for me to say that what they chose is not a good choice at this time. each of us has our lessons to learn. and i don't find the stories depressing either. i find them a beatiful testimony that a person can go through so much and then reach out to a community knowing that people get it, value them and are their rooting for them. at the end of the day, each of us must walk the path with our own two feet. so enough bootsie rambling. i hope your keeping your journal of your drinking is doing you well and if that means cutting down on drinking or not, well then groovy. and i am blessed to have this forum to come to and to in some way hold as many in my heart as possible. there is indeed hope for a better life.
                    :welcome:

Comment

Bootcamp that was so nicely said.

I had read that at times the boards are perceived to be judgemental and I just don't see that. What I see is a community coming together to support what we all have worked so hard to build. A place that is safe, comforting and open to everyone that wants to be here.

Again David I wish you the best with whatever path you choose.
                      "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Amazing!

Hello all

First of all, I have to say that I am very sorry that so many of you took me the wrong way..

I had no idea my thread would generate so much controversy...

Was just putting across a few ideas, not accusing or labeling anyone...

Nor was I defaming this site...

Most offensive, seemed to be me referring to "Mad Drunks" in a later post, which was aimed at no one in particular but to which, some seemed to take as a personal attack.. (it was a throw away comment and I meant nothing offensive by it)

Wow, some of you are a wee bit sensitive...

David :l
                        The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it... I can resist everything but temptation.
                        Oscar Wilde

Comment

I don't want to sound like a sycophant but I feel exactly like tawnyfrog & lucky. Thx guys..now I don't have to use up my engergeez ..

Comment

I don't even get this - as an Aussie and as a sufferer of Bipolar1 (that's more up than down guys!) - I see a whole gaggle of doctors, and I was quite relieved to find out that my drinking was being caused by something - and that the meds i am now taking have stopped the need to drink - I was medicating myself with alchohol. I am quite mad But I think that's a good news story. There may be many here who could do with a chat with a good psych - but I think most of us "maddies" have been there, done that and are taking the steps towards a sparkling new life ( just not too sparkling in my case!!). I come back occasionally to see how everyone's doing - not to bring them down ( have always been a bit of an upper - hehe!).

Anyway, I fel alot like I don't need to be here anymore - and i guess if people are not interested in co-morbidity (alcohol and some other hidden problems) then there's not much point in me sharing much more of my journey at all.

My journey has turned a corner, and I guess i'm kinda tired of reading about drinking as it's no longer an issue for me! I'll go off on my mad merry way, and you guys can work out your problems with the sauce.

So, i'll drop by now and again....

Cheers for now

Cashy
                            xx
                            "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans" - John Lennon

Comment

Working...
                            X