Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Essay

Hello all.

I thought you might find this amusing. This is an actual essay written by a college applicant. The author, Hugh Gallagher, was admitted to NYU.

Essay: In order for the admissions staff of our college to get to know you, the applicant, better, we ask that you answer the following question: Are there any significant experiences you have had, or accomplishments you have realized, that have helped to define you as a person?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer, I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat .400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago, I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.

But I have not yet gone to college.

College Essay

I love the kid's sense of humor!! thanks for sharing Paul!

Comment

College Essay

That is hysterical. What a clever kid. Thanks for sharing!!
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

College Essay

I want to hang with that guy!
        Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

College Essay

If I were single, and young, I would want to date him! Sounds like fun!
          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

College Essay

Hi Paul, thats my son your talking about, and he gets it all from his MOTHER....ha ha ha
            A F F L..
            Alcohol Free For Life

Comment

College Essay

If I was young and single...I'd want to date him
              I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
              One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

College Essay

So glad I decided to click on one more item here....I love this guy!
                What do you think he's majoring in? Bet we hear from him in a few years...

Macks!! You crack me up too!

Comment

College Essay

:funnypost:
                  I was looking thru the old LOL section, and this made me laugh so hard!

Comment

College Essay

I like! :thanks:

Comment

College Essay

Hilarious! I missed this one too as was not a member back then. My sense of humour all over!!

Love and Happiness
                      Hippie
                      xx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

College Essay

Lila, thanks for resurrecting that one, it is so funny. And I miss MKR and Mack and Irish.
                        *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

College Essay

I did date that guy! :H:h I think he's in Australia now... (Damn surfers!) He left me "high & dry" all over the friggin planet!

He forgot to mention he taught driving to the blind too!

I miss MKR, Macks & Irish too!
                          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

College Essay

Very good story. too bad I forgot to sign it.
                            BHOG
                            War isn't working. Let's try Peace!

Comment

College Essay

*I* really dated him, honest. He was everything you would expect he was no damn good in bed. Sorry kid!
                              Noelle sez "Do want you like, like what you do. Life is Good."

Comment

Working...
                              X