• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't respond to....

I didn't edit, it's over on Mod 8 :lol

Comment

Don't respond to....

Great advice, gang.

Hey, maybe I'll start posting the IP addresses (numbers representing internet sites) that those nastigrams are coming in from and let everyone else connect the dots. I can see them on my end but usually ignore 'em--you all know how protective I have been of our members' privacy. The info doesn't provide details like name, user ID, email address, etc. But when the numbers match up or are closely aligned....well, it's not too difficult to figure out what's going on.

(This is a feature of every message board in the event of abuse, a security breach, etc., but again, the info is largely ignored.)

And to whomever it may concern: please don't post under a duplicate/false name. If you've got an axe to grind best take it to the saw shop.

RJ

Comment

Don't respond to....

RJ YOU ROCK!

Donna

Comment

Don't respond to....

I apologize to everyone that I tried to draw her out last week. She or HE is the ultimate coward. BUT scary if they are a hacker also, esp with this mentality of reading people's history & remembering it!. There are a lot of wierdos out there. Tracking IP addresses is really good idea. Can the IP address of that "Sybyl" person be compared to this one. I don't know. I wonder if there could be more security. Making me nervous -- perhaps it is just the crises+ on the boards the past week or so -- plus my insomnia.

You are a good person Kathy. I support you.

Comment

Don't respond to....

Heartfelt Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all of your support! I so appreciate all that you have done for me today. You have made what could have been an anxiety-riddled day into a day where I was grateful for the support in my life. You have made a day that I would have run for a drink into a day when I was able to pass by the liquor store. (Can't say I didn't think about it though! ) I appreciate it so much. Thanks to Marcie, who e-mailed me (what a wake up call!!!:x ), Donna, who got my phone call (what the h*ll!!:eek :eek ), the e-mails of support, and everyone on chat who lured me out of the treetop:eek with their support!! And of course many thanks to RJ, the "Board Goddess" and detective extraordinaire! Okay, I'm suckin up!!:lol No, really, thanks so much RJ!!

Seriously, it's been a rare thing in my life that I have felt stuck up for, and I must say, I am, for the moment, just sitting here and savoring the sensation....it is rather awesome. And feeling protected, well, you all have given me that rather new sensation, as well. I think the last time I felt protected was when I was a little kid! Even with its tribulations, this day has had some magic in it...a rather odd ending to a rather turbulent day!

Thank you everyone!
            Love to all
            Kathy

Comment

Don't respond to....

weirdness

I'm so sorry our haven has once again been infiltrated with negativity. I'm such a wimp that I would probably fall completely apart under such critcism. But Kathy is stronger than I.

This might sound like, "it's easy for you to say Lori", but I really don't think these strange commentators should be addressed or engaged. When working with very defiant disruptive students, my co-workers and I have decided to ignore behavior unless it's unsafe in some way. The intended result the child is craving is attention. While not reacting or responding to the negative, we're not reinforcing it. Then when he/she is ready, they are greeted with TONS of praise and attention. This has served all very well this year especially the children.

Let's also remember, not all here are well. Least of all....me:lol

hugs and kisses to you on the frontlines.... now I'll crawl back to my hole,

Lori

Comment

Don't respond to....

Strange Magic

When I read your post Lorik, that song came into my head. That is strange, isn't it!

HUgs,
                Kathy

Comment

Don't respond to....

Deja vu

Just my two cents ... I have just quit another forum because of two trolls who seemed to have chosen me in the same way you seem to be chosen, Kathy. I don't know the background here but I recognise the symptoms. Like you I got heaps and heaps of generous support from other posters but it did wear me down after a while to the point where I was often in tears. One of these trolls was actually someone my husband and I welcomed to Hong Kong by taking him out to drinks when he first arrived. He seemed like a nice enough bloke but for some reason turned really nasty every time I posted something - always then saying it was a "joke" and "can't you take a joke" etc etc. I suspect both these trolls were pissed (drunk) when doing this and both were males who I also suspect had issues with females in general.

I did all the usual things in this order - fought back, tried to laughed it off, PM'd them with polite requests to desist, got in touch with the moderators and ignored, ignored and ignored. NOTHING worked. I had absolutely no control over their postings as we all know. Only they and the people who can pull the posts have that control. It started also to split the site as the nastiness became infectious ... it brought out that slightly nasty side in others that lurks within us all ... "mmmm maybe she doesn't have a sense of humour" thinks one person, "maybe she is taking it too seriously" thinks another who has just come on board and doesn't realise this has been going on for over a year...and so on.

Anyway ... it was deja vu for me seeing those nasty comments directed at you and it hit me in the pit of my stomach. My first thought was - I am outta here. No way do I want to get caught up, even indirectly, with those type of people at this stage. Remember I quoted from Desiderata - avoid loud and aggressive people - as part of my Moderation plan? I think those people contaminate everyone around them. I know they are in pain but we are all here struggling with a particular pain ourselves. We are fragile at the moment and need to protect ourselves as best we can.

So I am saying I personally am not strong enough at the moment to deal with that. I would ask if it is possible, that the moderators or whoever can do so, delete those types of personal attack posts as soon as they appear and ban the ip immediately. Maybe that is not possible and maybe it is too much hard work. I don't know.

Comment

Don't respond to....

Re: Deja vu

Dear WW & All..
                    WW...very awful & interesting & what I was thinking about all day -- how its tentacles could potentially move out in so many ways.. I am too busy to write much right now.. I would like to suggest the practice of going to the EZ Board administrator and having the IPs blocked. I know this can be done. They can do the monitoring-- hopefully part of the service. I don't know. Blocking the IP itself should be easy.

I am really sorry that you went through that. The internet is in fact a dangerous place... really. I have been wondering about more security in general for websites like this the past week. I really don't know anything about it for such open websites. I do know that the government monitors them & chat rooms - but we don't need to worry about that & we can do nothing about that anyway

Comment

Working...
                    X