Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Read alcoholics don't have cravings" says AA frie

Re: "Read alcoholics don't have cravings" says AA

What makes us all start is one thing, and the one thing we all have in common is to keep on going. You know that nice fuzzy toasy feeling after say, 2 or 3 glasses of wine ( or 2 glass of the harder stuff??). My "normal" friends say ok guus must go home now to hubby and have din din or don't want to miss a TV show or something. Our brains our wired differently and I think for the the most part we inherited it. We want to to be numb and plastered. Well at least we used to be until we came here!

I've been up all night because of my daughter's diagnosis and the horrible timing of the letter to my dad (same day). My hubby's friend from NJ came by today to help him collect some bins of my daughter's clothing and some other things from their apt but his friend was running late so I asked my brother to let them know. At around the time hubby's friend was supposed to come the doorbell rang and we looked at each other like "wow Rob's is super erailer than he said he's be". It turned out to be my stepmom and my coward dad stayed in the car , meanwhile the huge bins and a whole bunch of of large toys were right next to her so she waited to ring the bell until after he got back in the car, LOSER!

Comment

HI,
      It's hard to say exactly how I learn to isolate the bad thing so it wouldn't be at the center and collect everything else. It was over two years of therapy. OK, I'll give it a try.

Here is an analogy I used to help change my thinking: we are all blades of grass. Sometimes one gets crushed. It might be the one next to you, your child. This is awful but you, too, are only a blade of grass and cannot raise any other blades back up. Maybe you can offer comfort and shade by being taller, stronger, but you are still only a blade in a universe of fragile grass. You are in only a small spot of a great lawn. This seems like the whole world to you. But you do have consciousness--the ability to understand that there is a whole universe/lawn. Picture yourself having an out of body experience--as if you are lifted up to the sky and can now see the whole lawn. All those blades of grass, barely distinguishable. It would be foolish and arrogant to assume that you have power over what happens there. We are not gods. Hold onto that overview. Don't let your world dwindle to just you and the close blades of grass. Liberate yourself like a balloon and see the whole. A bent blade is no one's fault, it is just nature. We are part of nature and not in control of it. So float free as much as you can.

I hope this makes some sense to you.

Comment

Wow Ivy THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!! thank you.. that's gonna go on my fridge! Hope ya don't mind! Hugs, Judie

Comment

Judie,

Mind? Not at all! I have to keep reminding myself that we are all, really, free.

Ned

Comment

Working...
          X