Just a little history lesson...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the end of prohibition.
    (No pom,-poms here)

Their was a talk on NPR today about it and I found it very interesting how our country used to not just be republican/democratic, but the terms wet/dry were used for famous politicians and other notable figures. Today, most people aren't concerned with the issue of someone being wet or dry.(unless you are a recovering alcoholic)

I sat in my car and pondered the ridiculous nature of humans, why is alcohol the only legal addictive drug? (I excuse tobacco here....for it does not impair your driving along with other beautiful attributes of alcohol)

Prohibition was stopped by the government for the government! During the depression, they were able to revitalize the economy for the breweries gave jobs to people and the economy began to be stimulated. (This wasn't the only thing that got us out of the depression, but it was a BIG factor.)

So when I joke around and say I'm going to sue the liquor stores, damn Ive been wrong! I need to sue the government!!! Anyone ready to take action.....

Reinstate Prohibition!!!!!

(This would make it soooooo much easier for soooooo many of us!!!!!)

I am in!!!
    :notes:Theme2be

" Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections but instantly set about remedying them~everyday begin the task anew".-Saint Francis de Sales

Comment

The government doesn't make me drink; I do.

If they made alcohol illegal, people would just make it; it is very easy to do. I would hate to imagine what life would be like; I believe there would be many people out there willing to kill for it.

If someone wants it, he or she can find a way. If someone wants to stop, he or she also can find his or her way.

I am sure there are people on this site who live where alcohol is banned, and they can tell you that it did not matter; they got it anyway. On the flip side, there are people here who have it in their house and it is easily obtainable, but they do not drink.
      Goal 1: Today
      Goal 2: Tomorrow

Comment

good point lukalee

during the prohibition, beer and wine were not obtainable, it's too hard to make undercover.
        Yes, bathtub gin was in effect and with the help of the likes of Al Cappoine and others...it did get around, big time.

Im not a hard liquor drinker so I wouldn't want the bathtub water. I'd want beer and wine and if they weren't around....I think it would help.

Comment

It's a tough issue. To me, it really seems like making it out of bounds makes it more desirable for people. I used to live near the Navajo Reservation. Alcohol is banned on the res but people pay insane amounts to get it. And Prohibition also led to insanity ...
          Honestly, I think if alcohol were made illegal tomorrow, it would go underground and prices would skyrocket. But I do wonder if higher "sin taxes" might help at least a tad.
          :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

i agree dex...when they taxed higher on the smokes, alot of people began to ? their need for them.

Comment

I don't know about wine, but beer was easily attainable during prohibition. The federal government (under I think it was the Volstead act) allowed for "Near Beer". You cannot make AF beer without making the real thing first and then taking out the alcohol. There was mass federal, state, and local corruption at the time, which allowed for officials to be "paid off". Hence, the so called near beer was not so near after all.
              In addition, the government allowed soldiers to have "allotments" of alcohol, because hell, they were protecting our country. But if you were not a drinker, how easy would it be just to sell your allotment.
              Aside from the "legal" beer, the alcohol they made and drank was very unsafe. People died from the concoctions that were made. The only reason why they really passed the 18th Amendment was because of religious zealots who wanted to have control.
              Many religions use wine in their celebrations. I mean Jesus turned water into wine, it was drank at the last supper, and it is still used today during communion. What people do not like are people who drink to excess, which has nothing to do with the government. In fact, I think the government had a lot more control on keeping people drunk during the prohibition because so many government official were paid off. They didn't want it to end; it was keeping their pockets lined and happy. Heck, Al Capone was one rich SOB.

Comment

very interesting...back to my original thought..damn government!

Comment

LOL! Yeah, damn government. Unfortunately money talks. Right, wrong, or indifferent, if you have the money, you can lobby for just about anything.

I like the idea of the alcohol tax; it would be great to use that tax to either help people with insurance premiums or put that money towards rehab services for those who cannot afford it. (Hell, with the tax I figured they paid for it anyway with all the booze they consumed.) But what I don't like about it is the lack of liability the government has with the funds. Next thing you know, it is funding a war instead of going where it needs to go. This type of thing has to happen at the local or state level or the funding is lost forever.

Comment

Working...
                  X