You know you're an alcoholic when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow vlad you hav nc family one has no rt to call you an alchoholic you have to decide somone said its the harhest thing youll do ive been in a sanitarium this year for a month still dont no tht i am alkie but no one has the rt to call me one but even the people at the sanitarium didnt call me one they left tht to me beeen sober for 8 months but ive never had a problem stoppin just stop couldnt stay stopped when you got to think about it well u decide find here theres lots of support gyco

Comment

.. you give up doing yoga, because you cant stop swaying/shaking in the postures.

Ever tried doing head balance next to a line of other people against a wall after a couple of glasses? It's like the'domino rally' effect... once you fall down then you knock half a dozen other people down too.
      ?I am playing all the right notes... But not necessarily in the right order.....?

Comment

The smug bastards at the liquor store always say, "See you tomorrow!"

Comment

oh these are so very funny...but not when you're telling them...

...I always drink too much at hubby's work drinks, not a good look for the boss's missus...last time I told one of his colleagues that hubby thought he was a dick (well...he does...)

Comment

...or there was the time a very large drunk man fell on me at the pub at 4am & cracked my wrist...3hrs later still at the emergency room (I'm sure the b***h was putting everyone else in front of me 'coz i was drunk)I said, that's it, going home to sleep it off - yep, went home to sleep with a fractured wrist...

...or the time I fell in the bushes and somehow got myself wedged 1/2 over the neighbours fence...only to wake up with the MOST PAINFUL sciatic nerve issue in my back...and I knew I was 10 weeks pregnant & v.stressed about it...oh, and I'd driven my car home...just for good measure. My friend had tried to take the keys off me (and we call this friend 'the drunken plumber'...now, if the drunken plumber is worried about me what does that make me???!

Comment

...you drink cold beer outside in winter at minus stupid temperature whilst trying to cook a fish on a chimenea. It's so cold you get chronic stomach ache but continue drinking more beer despite the pain. You go to bed at around 1.00am and fall unconscious on a make shift bed that's been put up for you in the lounge. At 4.00am you wake up realising the chronic stomach ache is worse and get up. Suddenly you realise you need to throw up and go to rush up the stairs to the toilet only to find out that someone else is in the bathroom, you turn round and run to the kitchen, throwing up on the floor as you go... You get to the kitchen sink only to discover there are vegetables prepared for your Sunday lunch in it...

...in the morning you have the worst hangover of your life and let your MIL down because you can't drive her to that special church service she so much wanted to go to... oh and you've ruined Sunday lunch.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

The time I had such a need to do a poo drunk I did it discretley on the side of a boy scout hall ( in the dark on the grass) hoping they would think when arriving up Saturday anyone who noticed it... the master would say "that was one large dog me boys". I was on my push bike I wish I could of held on but shit happens so to speak. Very degrading to think I had stooped so low I was no better than my staffie dog not that she aint eloquent.
                Cap

Comment

Oh Captn, you made me think of another...

...your s**t has that distinctive tell-tale smell... every morning!!!

Someone on this forum had a term for it... I think it was ADP (Alcoholic Drinkers Poop).

My phrase is, "Oh no, my s**t smells like a Russian airport again..." Believe me, I know from experience...
                  Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Larisa;363428 wrote: The smug bastards at the liquor store always say, "See you tomorrow!"
                    Ha, ha... the lady who always served me was called Vera, she initially thought I was buying the booze for my husband though!!!

:H

Comment

Hey Captn, 3 words... PEAR CIDER PUKE!

Comment

Yuk Vlad...... bottle of port..... Prince or symbol as he is now known wrote a song "Purple Rain" didnt he?????..... well thats too much port for you .
                        Cap

Comment

...you wake up in a puddle of drool because you've been dreaming about AL again. You smell it to check its not vodka vomit...

Comment

...when you tell the kids you're going to church and then drive 16 km to a stall that you know sell wine on a Sunday...and drink half of it in the car before you come home. I still squirm just to think of it.
                            make the least of the worst, and the most of the best - everyday.

Comment

Newbie here. Apologies in advance if I happen to spoil this entertaining party. I found this thread and read through all 25 pages. Like many of you, I laughed. I felt the pain. Unlike most of you though, I didn't identify with many of the experiences.

Let me explain. I have two alcoholic periods in my life, separated by 6 years of abstinence through AA's 12 Steps, and the first period had more in common with some of your descriptions of black outs, puking and other extreme behavior. Since getting back to drink 15 years ago though, I have been intensely invested in CONTROL and not appearing to others to be the drunk that I am. (except that I've been coming out to my immediate family) In reality, I'm writing this under the influence of a couple of strong drinks, so this is as close as I get to losing control and writing regrettable e-mails these days.

So, now that I have that out of the way, and I've read all your awfullest stories, I feel compelled to share what passes for "I know I"m an alcoholic" in this present phase of my drinking career:

One I did identify with is that after a particularly intense drinking binge, and the rare hangover (I take supplements and drink water to counter the effects.) I swear that I have to quit, and drink as soon as I feel a little better, or, if feeling better fails to occur within a reasonable period of time (like by noon), I decide to try the old therapy of the "hair of the dog" to overcome the effects.

Also identify with liquor store staff knowing my drink of choice. (do they all say, "have a good night."? Um, yeah, I'm going home to drink this half pint of 100 proof peppermint schaaps to have a good night.)

Looking in the mirror in the morning at the puffiness under my eyes and general bloatedness and wonder whether my co-workers actually realize why I look like this.

Losing nights of productive time because I don't feel like doing much more than reading forums like this, (valuable in its own way, but no comparison to past interests) or playing computer games. Having lost interest in so many other things in life that used to matter to me.

Having shut myself off from any social interactions because I know that I drink more than anyone else, and what other people remark is a strong drink, tastes and acts like I'm drinking plain old soda or juice.

Gaining weight because I no longer go for walks in the evening after work, because I'm drinking instead.

Making less and less healthy choices, despite my lifelong commitment to healthy eating and living.

Dragging myself to bed in my day clothes without even brushing my teeth.

Yes, to some degree, phone calls that I don't remember the details of. I've been working on this. Sometimes I even remember to make notes.

Feeling depressed and worthless almost all the time that I'm not at work. (at least there I feel like I am doing something of value.)

Having dirty dishes and grungy stuff growing in the sink and across the counters, so when I finally get to cleaning I realize how badly it stinks.

Oh, and that brings up all the unfinished home "improvement" projects that I've left for over a year. (e.g. half an unpainted wall in the kitchen/dining area, living room and stairwell, and repainted white cabinets with trim still gold.)

And, as much as this all troubles me when I look at it through observant eyes, I guess I drink to some extent to block out that observation and give me an excuse to just let it be.

That's enough for now. Timid compared to most of your stories, but...that's where I'm at, and trying to come up with the real, intense motivation to give up this poison. Not yet though...I'm off to get another drink.

Nan

Comment

Wanting to post something on this thread, but not remembering what it was.... (I have to say, I preferred the similar earlier thread "What I Hate, Despise and Loathe about Drinking.") I just hate the label alcoholic. Hope no one busts me on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X