You know you're an alcoholic when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vlad - thanks for starting this thread. It has consumed me for the past few days! Here are some of my regrets:

When my son says, "Mom, you were drunk last night, you were banging against the wall going up the steps."

When my drunken emotions took over and physically abused my husband for caring about me, punching him, pinching him, just anger and disappointment in myself.

When I became lazy and unproductive at work. When I took off sick. When I became the lead for sick days. When people joked about it.

Most everything that everyone's said. It's amazing that this disease has specific symptoms just like any other disease.

My parents noticing, my other family noticing my drunkeness.

I once called and yelled at my doctor because he would not fill a prescription for me - adivan - to help me with sleep and other anxieties related to my drinking. I made an ass out of myself - of course I was drunk.

Gosh, I could go on for days, but everyone's covered it. I'll refer to this a lot. Thanks everyone.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Ohhh....

When you sober up and realize that, down inside, you really know the answer...(I forgot about that one)
      changemylife;526063 wrote: When you wake up trying to figure out if the hot chick you had sex with last night was a woman or a man dressed like a women.
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

You do more shots of tequila than the 5 guys who challenged you-and you're 100 lbs!
        Toughen up!

Comment

it's a beautiful day and you spend it sleeping off the night before and when you get up and out at around four pm, you head straight for the liquor store.

Comment

When you try and drink a 1/4 bottle of vodka really quickly while popping to the shops on some 'i forgot the eggs' mission, throwing up a couple of times and yet still, while taking REALLY deep breaths, manage to drink the lot. Yuk.

Comment

-When your HB (who doesn't have a drinking problem) hides HIS bottle so you won't drink it up.
              -When you mix vodka with wine because wine alone doesn't have enough "kick"
              -When you hide a pint in your purse, so you can drink at work.
              -When you keep a drink on your night table so you can have a sip when you wake up at night.

To a normal person, I think all of those would seem funny
              AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

When you have no alcohol in the house and charge into your neighbour's house who are sitting having their dinner, and snatch her wine glass of the table and neck it in one.

(Fortunately this was not me, it was a friend of mine- but it could quite easily have been me).

Comment

I knew I had a problem with drinking when:

1. We had family over and I told my DIL not to drink my rum because "I didn't have enough." She was like WTH......enough for what???? To get my drunk on that's what!!!!

2. I posted ugly things to a friend on a local website. My name is mud there now!

3. When I would call my family to make sure they were all home and safe before I started drinking for the night. I felt like it would be okay to get drunk if they were at home.

4. Drunk talking on the phone to my sister who has no idea I have a drinking problem. The next morning when she asked me about it, I said I took a benedryl.

I could go on and on and on............
                  RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

one of 7;353333 wrote: - you lie, you hide, you cheat
                    - you spend more money on heavy make-up to cover up the blemishes
                    - you neglect your home, your children, yourself
                    - you think about your first drink as soon as you wake up
                    - you join mwo because you know it cannot continue and you need help

i could list a million reasons how i know i'm an alcoholic. the important thing for me is doing something about it.

wow, sorry to get serious, but admitting you're an alki is serious stuff!

one. x
                    Boy can I relate to lie, hide, cheat and thinking about it first thing in the morning. Thank goodness I am on MWO.

Comment

This thread and I have a love/hate relationship...I'm going back to read again to see how far I've come.
                      Mine are horrific...and they're in this thread somewhere in the middle..

xo

Comment

- Leaving my two sons at home alone (both under 6) while I walked to the liquor store.
                        - Waking one morning to find my wife had lined up all the empty and half empty bottles she had found along the kitchen bench. There were 15+.
                        - Missing countless days of work.
                        - Buying a bottle of wine on the way home and drinking it in the toilet of the public ferry that I catch. The journey is only 15 minutes. I’d finish it in 5.
                        - Drinking cooking wine.
                        - Drinking Methylated Spirits mixed with Fanta. I then spent 5 hours convinced I was going to die of alcohol poisoning.
                        - Sneaking drinks at work.
                        - Picking up my kids from school / day-care drunk and trying to act sober.
                        - Wife coming home finding me passed-out in bed with the kids trashing the kitchen looking for dinner.
                        - Hiding wine in the boot of my car.
                        - Stealing wine from my parents.
                        - Sneaking gulps from open bottles wherever I saw the chance regardless of time of day.
                        - Drinking from 8am to 12am.

Comment

Buying wine at the shopping mall, then going to the toilet and downing it in minutes.
                          Then doing the same thing 30 minutes later.
                          Then walking home, and not remembering any of it, but waking the next morning with mud all over my clothes. So why not finish the cider I had left from the night before.
                          Swearing id never do it again, then going on a 3 day binge 2 days later.
                          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Falling down a slope, ending up with 12 stitches in my eyebrow and the biggest black eye ever. Still have the scars now. Blamed it on the dog pulling me.......

Comment

:bump: for Bridget Jones

Comment

When you nearly convince yourself to pee in the trash can for no reason.

When you take off your shirt to clean up a spill while live on a webcam.
                                I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X