Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Newbie

Hi everybody

I signed on cos it seemed to be a site that reflected many of the things that are happening to me.

I think I have finally estranged my wife for good because of the demon drink.

I had a beautiful wife and two beautiful daughters, but not anymore.

I am devastated about that, but this place gives me hope.

Yet another Newbie

:welcome:
    There is always hope. Many of us have been in exactly the same situation. Join a thread, make a plan, keep posting, we are here for you. We understand and we want you to succeed.
    Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
    If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
    November 2, 2012

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Hi Serial and :welcome:.

Very sorry to hear about your family situation. It sounds like you recognize that alcohol is the problem and it's got to go. That is a great place to start. The journey to freedom is not always easy. (well for me, at first it was never easy!) But I do not regret at all the decision to get alcohol out of my life completely.

I strongly recommend starting with the My Way Out book. I guess the only caution I offer about the book from my own experience is that moderation is presented as an option with the My Way Out program. I am way too far gone to ever moderate, but the book did help me hang onto some fantasies on that front when in fact, moderation is not an option for me.

I also suggest reading a LOT in all the different sections of the forum. There are many people who have gotten sober here by tailoring their recovery programs using a wide variety of tools. You can find your way out too.

Strength and hope!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Hi SF, sorry to hear what alcohol has done to you, I hope you can overcome your problem with the help of people on this site, who knows maybe you will get your family back, when you get sober. Lots of people have managed to turn their lives around when drink is out of the way.
        I wish you well.

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Hi there Serial.
          Good on you for taking that first step. Like Wally says, there is always hope that you can turn things around.
          Good to see you here and you will find the support here amazing.
          Stay close to the boards and read read read. There are some incredible stories that will inspire you on this journey.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Hello Serial and welcome. The drink has taken such precious things from you but there is always hope. You can beat this and who knows, maybe you will get your family back. You have taken the first step by coming here. I wish you every success in beating this.
            Keep safe
            KTAB
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Thanks for the replies,

I have little hope of fixing the marriage (i still love her, but the hurt is deep)

Tomorrow morning, i expect she will tell the counselr that there is no hope.

Comment

Yet another Newbie

And in case you are wondering, yes I dunnit. I dunnit with alcohol, and I hate myself for it

Comment

Yet another Newbie

KTAB;689692 wrote: Hello Serial and welcome. The drink has taken such precious things from you but there is always hope. You can beat this and who knows, maybe you will get your family back. You have taken the first step by coming here. I wish you every success in beating this.
                  Keep safe
                  KTAB
                  Thx for the welcome

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Doggygirl;689664 wrote: Hi Serial and :welcome:.

Very sorry to hear about your family situation. It sounds like you recognize that alcohol is the problem and it's got to go. That is a great place to start. The journey to freedom is not always easy. (well for me, at first it was never easy!) But I do not regret at all the decision to get alcohol out of my life completely.

I strongly recommend starting with the My Way Out book. I guess the only caution I offer about the book from my own experience is that moderation is presented as an option with the My Way Out program. I am way too far gone to ever moderate, but the book did help me hang onto some fantasies on that front when in fact, moderation is not an option for me.

I also suggest reading a LOT in all the different sections of the forum. There are many people who have gotten sober here by tailoring their recovery programs using a wide variety of tools. You can find your way out too.

Strength and hope!

DG
                    Yeah I could play he said/she said about that, but I choose not to and accept responsibility for my own probs.
                    Yep, I agree, I gotta get off it altogether, easier said than done.

Yes, have read loads of good stuff.

And finally, no, I feel so weak

ETA: the moderation dealy just doesnt work for me

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Welcome to this site. I hope that you and your wife can work things out. You came to the right place.
                      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Don't give up on your family serial. In time, given your dedication to this, they may see you as the different man you are and welcome you back with open arms. Once somebody really loves a person, rarely does it go away. Work on yourself and your sobriety. It WILL be better friend.
                        I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Hey!!! Don't stop don't give up!! If you had any question with your family, you've never found this site. Sit back and relax, this site will lead you to the future...

:wings:Love, Peace, and Happiness!

Comment

Yet another Newbie

Hi Serial, and Welcome.
                            I'm sure your wife will be at least encouraged by your efforts if you get with 'the programme', whatever that is for you.
                            Don't give up on yourself yet, and maybe they won't give up on you either.
                            Bridget.
                            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Yet another Newbie

This is a wonderful place, stick around and a great big

:welcome: to you!

:l
                              Ak
                              :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X