Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Question for Those of You in the UK (specifically Scotland)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know if there are any Scots here, but I have a question for you. I do know there are quite a few citizens from the UK on this forum, which is why I ask.

My ancestry is Scottish, and I would love to return there and live some day. How difficult is it for a US citizen to get a visa in Scotland, and of course, what are the employment possibilities, cost of living, and so on. I've always loved historical areas and fell in love with Europe back in the 80s when I lived in Germany. After looking at pictures of Edinburgh, I think that I would love that city even more (SO beautiful).

I would love to return to and live in the country of my ancestors. Could someone help me out with the specifics?

I know this isn't alcohol related, but it is a general discussion forum. If the moderators think I am off base asking a question like this here, please advise.
    I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Hi sosad,

I'm not from Scotland but there should be no difference in visa requirements for Scotland than for England or Wales. The Scots let the English visit so I'm sure you'd be ok

I think zenstyle is a Scot living in Florida, maybe he or she could offer some advice.
    I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Gold;698630 wrote: Hi sosad,

I'm not from Scotland but there should be no difference in visa requirements for Scotland than for England or Wales. The Scots let the English visit so I'm sure you'd be ok

I think zenstyle is a Scot living in Florida, maybe he or she could offer some advice.
      Thank you Gold. I am seriously considering seeking employment in Scotland and a long term life there, perhaps the rest of my life. Zen, if you have any advice I'd appreciate it if you'd chime in. When I lived in Europe in the 80s I fell in love with the place. I felt "at home," regardless of what part of Europe I traveled.

I am so tired of being sun baked in Texas that I can hardly stand it. The heat here is almost unbearable in the summer. Winters are okay but they are short and summer returns all to quickly.

I am an outdoors person and the climate here is just horrible. You sweat from the time you get up until the time you go to bed. God forbid the AC ever go out or you are in a world of hurt.

The weather here in short? Sucks, sucks, sucks..

However, that is only a minor portion of why I wish to leave.

I simply love Europe. And looking at Edinburgh on the Internet I see what I have always loved - historical old Europe with all of its charms. As I said I'm not exactly a newbie to the European lifestyle; I lived there for two years and fit in very well. I love adapting to the local customs and the architecture and history are amazing to me.

Any further advice would be appreciated. Especially in the area of finding some kind of employment in Scotland. Edinburgh would be my first choice, but practically anywhere in Scotland where I could earn a living would be fine with me.

I am a professional writer and also have a background in IT, Electrical Engineering, and even carpentry/woodworking.
      I've been walking, a long and crooked path. Come my restoration, wash my body clean...

Comment

There's a link here that's a directory of recruitment companies and web-sites for Scotland Jobs in Scotland Employment Recruitment. Skillfair - the online meeting place for consultants is a site that matches freelancers with contract opportunities.

If you're on linkedin you could let all your contacts know you are looking for something.

Seems you have good skills.

The weather certainly won't be unbearably hot in Edinburgh, or anywhere in the UK apart from maybe a week or two in the Summer. Edinburgh's certainly a vibrant city and very beautiful.

Comment

Gold;698698 wrote: There's a link here that's a directory of recruitment companies and web-sites for Scotland Jobs in Scotland Employment Recruitment. Skillfair - the online meeting place for consultants is a site that matches freelancers with contract opportunities.

If you're on linkedin you could let all your contacts know you are looking for something.

Seems you have good skills.

The weather certainly won't be unbearably hot in Edinburgh, or anywhere in the UK apart from maybe a week or two in the Summer. Edinburgh's certainly a vibrant city and very beautiful.

Thank you so very much! NOTHING would be unbearable to the crappy weather we have here in Texas. The bugs, the droughts, the broken and cracked foundations because of the extremely intolerable heat that goes into the 40+C degree range; the snakes and other crap we have to put up with... I'm finally tired of this crap once and for all.

I am tired of feeling like I live six inches from the sun. It's unbearably hot here for five months out of the year. Besides, there is sprawl everywhere. If you want to go somewhere you have to take a car and deal with the horrendous traffic and even toll roads that are becoming extremely expensive. I much prefer public transportation which is almost nonexistent in this area. Yes, we have light rail in Dallas, but it barely covers any essential areas. I live on the Tarrant County side of the line anyway, so we have NO public transportation to speak of.

I've become to hate the sun shining all of the time. It seems like the area is just a magnet for sunshine and heat, heat, and even more heat. I don't like spending my summers inside seeing everything green die. It can even get up to 90 at times in late winter.

Frankly, I am sick and tired of this plac
          e; ready to move. I have lived in Europe, and I loved it. Had my happiest times there. I would never miss Texas or most of the US in the least.

Comment

Sounds as thought the time is ripe

Comment

Hi SS.

I'm originally from the UK, and now live in Singapore with constant heat and humidity so I empathise with your climate woes!

Bets.
              Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Hi SS
                I live in edinburgh, and it is a beautiful city with lots to do and see. It, obviously as a capital city, has its issues, there is a heavy drug problem, high rate of street begging and some very run down estates. That being said, I am so grateful to be bringing my children up here. Where it is good, it is VERY good!Again, as everywhere in UK at moment, the employment is not great, except now (during festival) when you can pick up part time temp work v easily.
                And you certainly will not feel too near the sun, I don't think we have had a day without rain now for a month!!!! And there is a definite nip in the air now, so Autumn is on the way. Having said all that, I lived elswhere for about 20 years, in England, and am SO glad to be back. We will not move again.
                Pipsqueak

Comment

P.S.
                  We are having a tram system built at the moment, so the city is also a mess of roadworks, and diversions. It is quite a small city, there are plenty places to walk to, it is a definite walking city, and the bus system isn't bad.
                  Pip
                  Pipsqueak

Comment

I'm not too sure about the visa requirements, but there are many foreign workers here so they can't be very demanding.
                    Scotland's central belt has it's with problems; alcoholism, drugs and high unemployment at the moment. The same sorts of issues that blight a lot of places. The people generally though are friendly, down-to-earth, practical and hard working, given the chance.
                    Edinburgh is a fine city with plenty to offer and a huge cultural history which it is rightly proud of. There is plenty to do, especially during the Edinburh Festival, which last for about a month duing which I uaually make time for a visit. The traffic problem is horrendous, but they are currently working on getting the public transport system more efficient and up to date building a network of tramlines throughout the city. Since the Scottish Parliament was built, house prices have become rediculously inflated and even land to build on is extortionate and everything else seems to cost more too.
                    Glasgow is the biggest city in Scotland and has a different character, but is great fun with plenty to keep you busy.
                    Then you have Dundee, Aberdeen, Perth and Inverness. all fine places.
                    Personally, I don't like city life, but if you do then there are some nice places here, but if I could work from home or get a job there then I'd be up north like a shot. The sceney is second to none and the people are lovely. I've been up the mountains where you can see for fifty miles in all directions and hardly a sign that there is anyone else in the world. The weather is exactly average I think. It rains sometimes and it's dry sometimes. It doesn't get too hot or cold, which is why the place is the lush, green that it is.
                    Scotland – The Official Online Gateway to Scotland
                    About work. There is a huge demand for IT professionals and electicians of all sorts are in demand, so you should be OK on that score.

Comment

Thank you all for the really good information. Scotland is absolutely gorgeous. And you are all so helpful. I will do my best to look into any types of opportunities there. I see that Northern and Western Scotland are very mountainous, which is good because I like to venture into the mountains now and then. Hopefully there are no bears in Scotland as in the USA. I'd hate to move to Scotland only to get eaten by a bear or mountain lion.

Thank you so much!

Comment

Working...
                      X