Unemployed...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployed...again

I was going to post this a month ago and then got a job and forgot about it. Now that I was fired in three weeks (not due to alcohol...boss was hitting on me and I told him where to go), here I am unemployed again. I know that there are a TON of people that have been laid of and/or not working for whatever reason. I know having nothing to do during the day does NOTHING to help me be strong with my alcoholism.

I was wondering what other people are experiences. When I was in Detox last week, they said since the economy has gone south, the admissions have gone up (along with kids being removed from homes due to financial stressors, food stams, USA govt. healthcare, etc...)

Best to everyone though these hard times.
    Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Unemployed...again

Colbe,

I just wanted to say that I know you have had a hard time lately and I hope things get better for you soon. You are certainly not alone in your experience. Can you get unemployment benefits?

Comment

Unemployed...again

I do not qualify for unemployment becauser I was self employed then with the new company I was only there for a few weeks. Bummer in a wicked way.
      Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Unemployed...again

Colbe,

I hope you can find employment again, soon. I cannot imagine being hit on by any manager at work. I have always been treated with the utmost respect by my managers and co-workers.

How sad.

Thinking of you and hoping things start looking up.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Unemployed...again

Colbe, I wish a good outcome for you. Yes, I was sexually harassed many times in the 70's, but there were no laws about it then.

I did complain to a director who had a strict moral compass and that man was out of there fast! But, that is not normally the case.

Please stay close to all of the people who support you. This is important in your recovery and your employment ambitions.
          Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Unemployed...again

Hi Colbe,
            Yes that is truly horrible when you lose you job. I lost mine this year and like you was terrified of having too much time to myself, along with the money worries of course.
            It really is essential to keep some sort of routine for yourself. I know you say you have nothing to do, what about doing some volunteering? That would fill the hours plus give you more experience while you are looking for work, plus it looks good on a resume to show you have not sat idle?
            This is what I am doing right now, and am hoping that from my volunteering, I will get another job.
            Good luck!
            Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
            Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Unemployed...again

Hi Colbe,

Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time. Although it may not seem so now this has probably worked out for the best, working day in day out with a boss who was treating you disrespectfully would not have been conducive to staying away from alcohol in my view. Also, you stood up to him for which you deserve credit.

Like startingover I have opted to do some voluntary work whilst in a quiet period with my own business, I'm actually really excited about it as it enables me to do things I never would have had time for before, and as starts says who knows where it may lead.

Perhaps you could pick up some temporary work too in the meantime.

The important thing is not to be swept along by the thinking of how bad things are as it will make you feel low. For every bad tale there is a good one, that is the way of things.

So grasp this opportunity to continue your healing and find something that would interest you and be of help to other people.

Good luck to you.
              I love you, I'm sorry, please forgive me, thank you.

Comment

Unemployed...again

Hiya Colbe,

What about taking this time to do a couple of on-line self help courses, take up a new hobby, join the local library and see what activities are on offer there.
                Others have given a great suggestion of volunteering... it will also help take your mind off your own worries for a couple of hours a day.

Go for long walks, a jog or a swim -- Get that body moving girlfriend!!

And stay close for support:-)
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Unemployed...again

Thanks guys...volunteering is not a bad idea (especially in my situation...long story). I will look into that today. I got a bunch of numbers to call about sign companies down in this new area. I really am in the middle of nowhere so people don't know how to use computers here yet...not kidding. So looking on liine for jobs is in vain. Let me see what the volunteering thing might bring me...oh,, and DeeBee, I said I am able to get in the shower...lets not push it by going for a run just yet

Comment

Unemployed...again

LOL Colbes!! Pleased to see you still have your sense of humor.

You are sounding really positive and focused today -- hang onto that!!
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                    X