An Emotional Day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Emotional Day.

Today has been a day that's tested my recovery completely since the day I first stopped drinking. All that I am trying to achieve in my life and how I act, behave, feel etc was suddenly turned on it's head when I awoke to find my mum had had a stroke early hours and was still suffering symptoms of that.

The pattern of my behaviour in the past would of been to dwell on this, get quite morose thinking about the worst case scenario, get emotional, thought about having a drink etc etc. Today ALL those things DID happen. Why wouldn't they? My natural and ingrained way of thinking as an addict in the past was to think this way and that is not going to change for me overnight. What I did do differently though was how these thoughts and feelings were managed better in a way that I did not let them take control of me.

Admittedly at some point the thought of a drink passed through my head but just as quickly as it entered it was gone. I was at quite a low ebb today anyway as I'm not feeling well at all. This is usually a time for me when I can become quite self-pitying and attention seeking! (Hey I'm a man that's what we do when we're ill!!)lol. Anyway today's events made me look more closely at my recovery and how something like this can effect me and I'm glad to say with a lot of help and support I've gained some peace of mind today.

My mum should be out of hospital in a week maybe more depending on the physio and CT scan results which is being done tomorrow.

Love and Light
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

An Emotional Day.

Well done Phil....prayers for your Mum and I hope you feel better as well.
    Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Sorry to hear about your Mom.......Hope everything works out for her. Glad you were strong enough to back off the bottle ! Keep up the good fight ! We are hear for you ! IAD.
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Hippie darling, I'm holding you and your mom in my heart. I've been thru a similar situation, BEFORE I had gotten a handle on my drinking, and I can tell you now that to stay sober thru this will be something you appreciate about yourself for the rest of your life. You are working hard for your sobriety, and it shows. It is wonderful too for you to be in your best condition to comfort your momma, and to cherish the time you have together. She's in my prayers.
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Hippie,,, just want to let u know u r in my thoughts right now, i am proud of you ok .....
          Formerly known as Teardrop:l
          sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
          my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

An Emotional Day.

hippy, you and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.
            i hope she makes a speedy recovery.
            fair play to you for not turning to al.
            love draggy
            life is simple its just not easy

Comment

An Emotional Day.

p.s ur mum is in my throughts as well...
              Formerly known as Teardrop:l
              sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
              my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Well done on managing your feelings so well hippie! I will pray for you and your mom tonight, but you not turning to AL was probably the strongest prayer of all! Hopefully all will be well very soon.
                Love Cathy

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Hope, strength, and good wishes for your mum and you both are flying across the pond to you from me this evening Hipster. Bravo on your better choices this time in the face of myriad adversities. I admire you.

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Hey Hippy, so sorry to hear about your Mom. That's hard. I pray she makes a full and speedy recovery.
                    Good for you for not giving in to those AL thoughts. it would have been so easy. You really are an inspiration.
                    Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
                    If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
                    November 2, 2012

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Phil,

I am very sorry to hear about your mom. I hope the tests show very little damage, if any at all, and she makes a speedy recovery. Keep us informed. Prayers going up for her.

Boy, can I relate to the thoughts. Good for you for recognizing those thoughts for what they are and being able change your pattern of behavior from one of an addict to one who does the next right thing.

I am very proud of you.

Love,
                      Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

An Emotional Day.

so sorry to hear about your mom phil.
                        you handled things very well, congrats!
                        you could have taken a step backwards but you didn't.
                        your mom will need you to be completely available to her, and you will!

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Phil,
                          Sending you & your Mom both the strength to get through this.
                          She is a lucky woman to have such a strong son!
                          Stay well.
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Hippie,
                            I have not read thru the whole thread but I think I got the gist of it. My dad is in the hospital too, in the ICU, in one of the top rated hospitals in the WORLD which I am lucky enough to have in my backyard. I will keep your mum in my thoughts as well.

Speaking of "mum" vs. "mom," my husband has relatives from England who are currently here visiting, and we just saw them tonight. They are all off tomorrow to Boston for a few days, and then a cruise to Nova Scotia. I'll tell them to wave hello to Gia!

Best to you, hon.

Comment

An Emotional Day.

Phil, I am so sorry to hear about your mum. I acknowledge your strength.:l
                              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Working...
                              X