30 days AF today for aust_boy !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems a lot of people are hitting around the 30 day mark of late.

I am extremely happy to be here and taking charge of my life again. I guess one reason I am not over the moon is that I know I have quit. I know I will never pick up another glass because I know inevitably where it will lead. I might be ok for a week or a month or even a year who knows, but I know eventually where it will lead. I know I am over it. That is where my mind is at and will stay. One thing I really don't like is being reminded of the 'old days'. I guess it's a matter of time until people forget, those who aren't willing to see you in a different light I don't see room for in my life. See for people like us it is a month which is HUGE, there is not a doubt in my mind that everyone on here would say that 30 days AF for someone that has had a serious alcohol problem is HUGE. (Congratulations to all the others by the way who have reached this same milestone around the same time)

I guess a month to a person who has never had a problem with alcohol is not a long time. "wow he didn't drink for a month big whoop" yeah well it takes one to know one in this land which is why this forum is so fantastic. Everyone here understands what it is like. I have never wanted to quit before now and I have finally done it - all mindset in my opinion - rehab helped me big time, only because I was in the right mindset to be there - if not, it would have been a complete waste of money.

I guess I crave acknowledgment from those around me - loved ones, friends etc. I mean they say "well done" etc but it's empty and you can tell. It's like they are waiting for me to slip up and are still very cautious. What I have done now is reminded myself that I quit FOR ME when I made up MY mind so honestly - why do I need acknowledgment from people who don't understand AT ALL. It's a tough road interacting with others in life who have never experienced the same hardships and alcoholism is one big motherF7*&er of a hardship.

So basically I am petting myself on the back today and letting everyone here know because now I consider myself part of this community.

30 days!!
    "The pain of regret far exceeds the pain of discipline"

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

It's been one hell of a ride.

We are thrilled for you Aust. Keep us up to date!!!! :hug:
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

well done aust boy:goodjob:
      life is simple its just not easy

Comment

Congratulations big time, Aust-boy.
        I am enjoying your writings and learning much.
        To-day for me it's 7AF. This is the greatest length of AF time ever, usually manage 2 days.

I still can't envisage ever being totally abstinent forever, however I must strive for this as I cannot be a social drinker (1 or 2 and stop). My signature says it all.
        One drink is too many and 20 is not enough

Comment

Congratulation's AB! Yep, no doubt whatsoever, that 30 day's af is huge, so well done. Of course, we can't worry or focus on what other's around us may or may not think about us. Not everyone will like what another person stands for, looks like, or is. We just get on with life, and lead by example!

Best wishes, and Bravo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Well done on your 30 days A/F keep up the good work
            :dancin: enguin:
            starting over

Comment

To each and everyone of you I would like to thank you for your well wishing, your candor, and most of all just caring. I honestly don't think a it's about the days or months that have passed since you have had a drink. I think it is just getting your mind to that place where you know you can't drink - period. No exceptions, because as I have said so many times before we all know where it ends up, where it leads and it is never good. There is so much to live for even in a cruel world and taking back control of my life, your lives and jumping into that drivers seat and steering instead of being a passenger to alcohol and anxiety feels liberating. You feel like you are worth something again and that is what it is all about isn't it?

I am going to stop counting the days now but know that the last time I had a drink was the 13th of August 2009, I will always have that as a reference point. I think that's important to remember and of course the thirty day mile stone. I AM and HAVE achieved my goal of being a happy non drinker in a relatively short amount of time. I can go anywhere, do anything and not be blindsided by alcohol. I am just not interested in it. I hate it. It has ruined so many things for me. Well it combined with my mindset at that particular time.

Alcohol is like a gun, it wont hurt anyone just sitting on a bench. Alcohol doesn't hurt anyone just sitting in a bottle either. The human miind combined with these things is what causes all the hurt and pain.

I can't stress it enough mindset - mindset - mindset. Getting yourself in the right place to quit for you and no one else. It's tough but you know when it's time and you have made the decision for sure. Just like one of my other posts says - when you know that you have found the 'one' your life partner, whatever. That's how I feel about alcohol, I know that I have found the mindset to combat it. I just 'know' and that's the way its going to stay, I have never had that feeling about a girl - just knowing but It would feel very similar to the feeling I have regarding alcohol. I just know.

Thanks again for the kind words. It really does help being involved in a community online or not with people who actually understand. You cannot explain anxiety or alcoholism to anyone who has not experienced it before no matter how intelligent they are. There are just some things you have to experience to understand which is why it's so hard with 'outsiders' but we are strong I guess. I strongly believe everything happens for a reason and at a particular time for a reason - since I quit drinking everything has just been falling into place. Who knows, having gone through this at the age of 29 could have an impact on me when I'm 40. In a very good way. The direction I which I was heading wouldn't have had me living past 33 or 34. I definitely would have developed cyrosis and that does not take long to kill :/

I am very very thankful a certain series of events have got me to where I am now and I wish the same for each and every person on this site - of course everyones series of events will be different. Whether you are struggling to make it through the day, 2 days, a week, wherever you are. As I have said before - know there is light at the end of the dispicable, horrendous, lonely, degrading tunnel. I have seen it.It is warm and extremely satisfying. You reclaim your life.

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

Comment

Good for you kiddo.
                Your new attitude is what really shines through.
                Go fo it.
                Bridget.
                If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Congrats aust_boy!
                  I'm sure you have a long, bright future ahead of you
                  Keep up the great work!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Good going, AB!
                    I'll do whatever it takes
                    AF 21/08/2009

Comment

:goodjob:

You're doing grreat.
                      So glad you joined us.

Love Jackie xxx

AF since 7/7/2009
                      It could be worse, I could be filing.
                      AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Well done aussie ... from a fellow aussie! Hope I can say 30 AF days soon too.

Cheers Mate!! :yay:
                        MWO is a blessing, thank you.

Comment

:goodjob: ab on 30 days, no matter what way you look at it that is brilliant

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Thanking everyone for the kind words yet again. To my fellow QLD'er you will get there as soon as your mind is there. The body has a tendency to follow what the mind is feeling.

I have learned everything the hard way through my mid teens to late 20s. I have had to experience it to understand it. I can't be told anyting, it's in my nature. I think a lot of people on this site would be be able to relate.

When I see my mother she often says things like "I will never understand you - you have the intelligence to see what is going on around you but you have to be hit over the head with a brick to notice - why do you have to do everyting the hard way?"

In a lot of ways she is right :/

It's just the way I am huh?

Kind of AF since 14/8/09

Fully AF since 16/4/11

Comment

Well done Aussie
                              It's time I put my big girl pants on. :grannypants: I hope they fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X