Reality Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality Check

Boy did I get a big one this weekend. Although I shamefully admit I have driven in bad condition, I have never had a DUI.

I got pulled over Sat night for expired tags (which I didn't know about cause its a company vehicle) and he asked if I had been drinking. I was very honest and said yes, I've had about a beer and a half. I had made a commitment to watch a friends kids that day and knew I had to stay sober. I had to do the whole sobriety test and was scared to death. My son was in the car with me and got to witness the whole thing. Uuuggghh, I did use it as a learning moment for him and I did pass.

I have a new sense about AL and did some thinking. If I chose not to drink because I had made a commitment to a friend, why can't I choose not to drink even though I haven't made a commitmnet to someone. Why can't I be my own commitment? My health, happiness my son....should all be reasons enough.

I am glad it all turned out okay and feel someone up there was giving me a reminder to keep up the fight. :boxer:

Just wanted to pass along my reality check to all of us still fighting. Don't get behind the wheel. The risk is just too great.

:l
    Ak
    :flower: I'm not as good as I'm gonna get, but I'm better than I used to be.

Reality Check

thank god you werent drunk .. the out come could have been very worst .. so commit to me now you will never ever do that again .. RIGHT SIGN IN THE DOTTED LINE .................................................. ........................ LOVE YOU AKGIRL
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Reality Check

Officialy signed on the X Akgirl

But the thing is T, I wasn't drunk. I am proud that I kept myself sober knowing I had children to take care of and the drive home to make. So maybe I WILL do that again, I just WON'T be stupid and drive drunk.

:l and love you too T
      Ak

Comment

Reality Check

Very good point. Here in the states, in order to avoid social services in your life DO NOT BLOW IF YOU ARE PULLED OVER!. you will get a reckless driving, even if you were sober...2 beers puts me over the limit. If you blow and get the DUI, CPS will steal your child, before they knock on your door. Demand a blood test, the state will refuse to pay for it and in the meantime, you will get under the legal limit. Sorry to keep going back to the state stealing your children, but it is a lesson I learned from a friend and it couldn't hurt to pass it on.
        Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Reality Check

I can't even imagine what would have happened had I blown over. I didn't know I had the option for a blood test. Actually I can and I have imagined......it would be so horrible. For my son to see...in a company truck.......the list goes on and on.

So when I say maybe I WILL do that again I mean I WILL stay sober to drive. Not even gonna chance the beer and a half.

I just have to wonder why I can stay sober when I have to. For work, appointments etc...but 5:30 rolls around and I'm home safe, time for a glass of wine. I don't like how I feel anymore, just plain habit. One I am chipping away at and can feel myself going in the right direction.

Obviously we are all striving for sobriety but if you haven't made it yet-PLEASE just don't drive.

Comment

Reality Check

Ak Girl - I am glad things turned out okay and It was a valuable lesson for sure. I'm sorry your son had to witness that but thankfully you were not drunk so he will know that you were not driving over the limit.

Thank you for sharing this valuable lesson with us!
            Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
            :h

Comment

Reality Check

akgirl;719818 wrote: I can't even imagine what would have happened had I blown over. I didn't know I had the option for a blood test. Actually I can and I have imagined......it would be so horrible. For my son to see...in a company truck.......the list goes on and on.

So when I say maybe I WILL do that again I mean I WILL stay sober to drive. Not even gonna chance the beer and a half.

I just have to wonder why I can stay sober when I have to. For work, appointments etc...but 5:30 rolls around and I'm home safe, time for a glass of wine. I don't like how I feel anymore, just plain habit. One I am chipping away at and can feel myself going in the right direction.

Obviously we are all striving for sobriety but if you haven't made it yet-PLEASE just don't drive.
              A friend told me the other day, just because I thought I wasn't doing "well", the fact that I am still striving for sobreity is in the right direction. SHe said her sponsor went to AA meetings for years and still drank every night. He is now sober 14 years...it just clicked one day. If I find the clicker, I will send it to you! I have been so pathetic to read my AA book while having a beer. I think that is illegal!
              Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.

Comment

Reality Check

I'm so glad you were responsible for your friend and the babysitting gig. If you had been over the limit, like if you'd have had 2 beers and drank them fast ...well, you'd have been a criminal, have a criminal record, probably been in even bigger trouble for having a minor in the car, and .... ugh ... it's just not worth it! I'm so glad everything worked out. What a wake-up call indeed, my friend. thanks for posting this wake-up call.
                Woman takes a drink, drink takes a drink, drink takes a woman.

Comment

Reality Check

OMG!!!!

ANOTHER reality check was given to me yesterday!

I was in a 3 car crash. An oncoming car that was stopped in the other lane was rear ended and I was coming the other way. She was thrown directly into my lane. I swerved to miss her but didn't have time. She hit me right behind the drivers door and crushed the whole tailgate, popping the rear tire. Aaaahhhhh! I was so scared, I have never been in that bad of a wreck. Luckily I'm okay, a bit sore today but okay.

Yet another reason not to drink and drive. If I had not been sober I would not have reacted so quickly and most surely would have been hit head on. God only knows how it might have turned out. Not to be over dramatic but I feel lucky to be alive. I went home and me and my son held each other and cried.

Once again-if you are still struggling as I am off and on, PLEASE don't drive.
                  Not trying to sound like a preacher on the subject, it has just become so real in my world the last few days.

Ak

Comment

Reality Check

AK, I am so happy you are okay!!! I hating driving since an accident 6 years ago. I didn't seek treatment for the anxiety afterwards. I now wish I had. I hope that if you become anxious over driving, that you will talk to someone about it. My best to you and your son :h
                    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Reality Check

ak, I am glad that you are safe and that you are getting the messages from the universe and understanding them. I think those nudges are from pure source energy love.

colbe, the message is about not drinking and driving. If you drink, you don't drive. Not how to beat the system, don't blow, say you had potato salad.... You don't drive. Colbe, please...you're not a victim. You are a person facing a challenge and you must do it!
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Reality Check

I am SO GLAD to hear you are ok! I had a wreck in my little pick up truck (slipped on ice going about 2 miles an hour at 8am) with my girl in the car. It scared her so badly, I feared she would be tramatized forever (we went down a ditch and flipped over). We had to jump out the windows to get down. (2 payment away from paying it off of course). I had a 24 pack in the bed of the truck, so needless to say beer all over the place (yes I picked it up...on the ice, like an idiot, almost getting hit by the following SUV to hit the same patch of ice and crashed into my truck 10 minutes later. And there I was gathering up my beer. OMG!

Did the police ask me if I was drinking...of course. Thankfully it was 8am!!

Comment

Reality Check

Thank you all, you are my MWO family and I had to share. And yes, the message is please don't drink and drive. I mean we all know better but sometimes chance it, me included. But after the last few days.......well its just so damn scary.

Ak

Comment

Reality Check

Too damn scary and there is NOTHING to be gained! AK, glad your angels are with you and you are paying attention. You are blessed.
                            LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Reality Check

AKgirl, I'm so glad you are OK physically and legally. Thank you for sharing! Lord knows I took WAY too many risks with drinking and driving. It's sheer luck that I didn't kill myself or others with my car. I think your "messages from the universe" are good reminders for all of us.

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X