Daily Joys Of Sobriety Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so glad to find my keys in the morning.....my car......my wallet ! Ha! Just a bit of levity ! Ha! Life is so full now. It has so much more meaning.....kind of like I woke up and smelled the Roses ! IAD
    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
    Dr. Seuss

Comment

chillgirl;788447 wrote: Woke up this morning (sunday) to the joy of not having a hangover!
      Was in the gym by 9am, a complete unheard of in my previous AL LIFE.
      Came home, made a large cup of coffee and snuggled up on the sofa to talk online to "my new best friend" who i met here on MWO.....

Rain has stopped so now off out to walk the dog in the fresh air..... what a perfect peaceful sunday!
      You brought up something I still marvel over, Chill. Before MWO, though I had lifelong friends, a huge family, I never had the sort of friends I have now. I was thinking just this week how empty my life would be without several very special people I've met here. And to talk first thing in the morning to people in England, Florida, Alaska, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand.....it's such a RUSH, and so much better than AL ever gave me. And I'm SO glad you found us!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Hooray! I'm so happy to hear from all of you!

Today I felt the joy of not having a hangover as I spent a cold afternoon by the fire with my kids, playing board games. I felt so focused and energetic and patient...This is the way parenting should feel!
        "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

I just love getting things done: indoor things, outdoor things, starting new ones and finishing old ones. Yesterday I finished a scarf that I started last winter. Today I went to a luncheon and didn't get home from church until 2:00, but I still fixed the bathtub faucet, took the dog for a long walk in the field, started reading a gardening book that I got for Christmas, got supplies out to work on my crazy quilt.

Sara, good to see you, thanks for starting this.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Last Saturday morning I had a full exercise routine finished before I ordinarily would have gotten out of bed. It's really nice to have your weekend mornings back. It's also great to have your weekday mornings sharp and alert instead of hazy and crispy around the edges.
            2023 - focus, getting it done, and living the way it should be and being the person I need to be.

Comment

Took out the Christmas tree and cleaned up all the needles.

Had two good meetings at work.

Am going to bake banana bread and make soup for dinner.

Life is full of good things.
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Sarasmiles, it's great to see you sounding perky! Great thread too!

I never want to lose my complete appreciation for waking up unhung. LOL Shirazgirl on your description of the old morning routine. It really was hard work to try covering up the facial evidence of the previous days drinking.

I love having the presence of mind at the end of each day to firm up my plans for the next day and have everything organized. It's so nice to wake up clear headed, and just move smoothly into the day without the frazzle and stress that drunken evenings / hungover mornings brought on.

YEAH!! :yougo:

I can also identify with differences in friendships. I'm only now really starting to come out of the old coccoon but it feels so good.

Enjoy the day!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Oh happy day!

Unhung (love the word, Doggygirl) I:

Felt really good about the job I did at work...Helping other people to be healthy and happy comes so much more naturally when I'm feeling happy and healthy myself!

Had a wonderful walk in the woods with my dog and loved the cold air and the sunshine.

Felt all the joy of picking my kids up at school and hearing all about their days.

Comment

Your unhung day sounds terrific Sarasmiles!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Hey Sara,
                      Great thread. What I love now every day is that I am on top of things instead of under. Those piles of paper in the computer room are GONE, we met with the financial advisor today with everything in hand. I quickly got a couple of checks off today before choir practice - I CAN FIND THINGS! I read books instead of paging through magazines and catalogs. This is real life, and I am in charge.
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

That's wonderful, Sunbeam. Thanks, Doggygirl.
                        Last night my adorable six year old was hit with a stomach bug...Up throughout the night vomiting. Although it was a tough night, I kept thinking about how great it was that I hadn't had anything to drink. It would have been horrible buzzed. Today I was tired, but I was "unhung" and so I felt justified in lying down for a bit and watching TV with the kids...instead of feeling guilty for being in a bad state, and trying to over-compensate. It's not so bad being tired...when it's not from a hangover!

Comment

I was thinking about this earlier today. I am glad I saw your thread. I love reading about everyone else's experiences.

In my 11 AF free days I am giving myself a pat on the back for my new acheivements.

1) My skin already looks healthier.

2) I am no longer risking a drink-drive conviction or worse!

3) I am genuinely happy not drunk happy.

4) The cycle of AL / Hangover / Guilt is history.

5) My kitchen is tidy!! I was always too drunk to tidy up after dinner and too hungover to bother the next day. By 8.30 this morning, I had fed my son, dropped him at school, had breakfast myself and tidied up. My kitchen now sparkles. I suppose this is more about organisation and being in control rather than a massive acheivement on it's own.

and now for the disgusting bit....(avert your eyes if you are squeamish)

6) My bowels are under control. My morning does not revolve around being near a loo. (Yeah...too much information..I know.)

I have never been religious but in my lead up to making the decision to stop drinking, I prayed to God for assistance. And then I found MWO.

Comment

1. Not having to apologize and fabricate lies, worry about my kids telling their mom I "passed out again"
                            2. Knowing I'm being the best father all the time-- setting an example
                            3. Knowing I'm building a case against my ex's next strike at my character for her next custody chess move
                            4. Being a good neighbor

Comment

Great idea for a thread, I'm glad I found it.

I love waking up feeling good, enjoying my coffee, reading the paper.
                              It is so great to feel emotionally stable, not full of anxiety and guilt.
                              I love getting things done at home and work.
                              Finding the pleasure in the little things again.
                              Getting back in control of by body, health and weight.

Have a great AF day.
                              Redhibiscus

Comment

Sarasmiles;801239 wrote: That's wonderful, Sunbeam. Thanks, Doggygirl.
                                Last night my adorable six year old was hit with a stomach bug...Up throughout the night vomiting. Although it was a tough night, I kept thinking about how great it was that I hadn't had anything to drink. It would have been horrible buzzed. Today I was tired, but I was "unhung" and so I felt justified in lying down for a bit and watching TV with the kids...instead of feeling guilty for being in a bad state, and trying to over-compensate. It's not so bad being tired...when it's not from a hangover!
                                very interesting thread,greatfullness,just to be alive,somthin we, or i wasnt when i drink,not having to run around ,to brush my teeth, or find a candy, so no one would smell the lingering of alchohol on me,being able to jump into my vehicle as somone said ,without worrying if i would be stopped and thrown in jail,to hopefully gain the respect from my family,for what i so did to them,the list could go on,but one thing most of all,for you folks who let me approach life with so much going for me,and alls i have do is,NOT DRINK, THNX SARA SMILES and the res tof u folks gyco

Comment

Working...
                                X