Drunk motorcycle instructor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought her comment about counselling was very poignant...

Drunk motorcycle instructor fell from bike three times during lesson - Times Online

A motorcycle instructor who was so drunk that she repeatedly fell off her bike during a lesson has been banned from driving for three years.

Sandra Kenyon, 46, fell from her bike three times as a pupil from the Ridesafe Motorcycle School attempted to follow her through central Bradford.

A court was told that soon after the start of last month?s lesson, Kenyon dropped her motorcycle and needed help to climb back on. She fell off again as she approached a set of traffic lights.

Her pupil, Philip Hopkins, arrived at a roundabout to discover that he had lost sight of his instructor. Turning back he found Kenyon lying on the ground, surrounded by onlookers, complaining that her leg was hurting.

When police officers arrived, they opened her motorcycle jacket and discovered two French brandy bottles. One was empty and the other was three-quarters full.

Magistrates in Bingley were told that Kenyon had 131 microgrammes (mcg) of alcohol in 100ml of breath ? almost four times the legal limit of 35mcg.

The mother of two, from Hipperholme, West Yorkshire, who had worked for the Ridesafe school for nine years and was employed on a subcontractual basis, subsequently lost her job. Kenyon pleaded guilty to riding a motorcycle with excess alcohol. As well as being banned from driving, she was ordered to complete 200 hours of community work and given a two-year supervision order that includes alcohol rehabilitation treatment.

John Parker, the chairman of the bench, told her that she had narrowly avoided a custodial sentence. ?It was not only a high reading on the breathalyser test, but you were in a position of trust when the offence took place. It was a busy period and there were lots of other road users in the vicinity,? he said.

Nadine Clough, for the prosecution, told the court that when Kenyon was interviewed by the police she said that she needed help and was suffering from depression.

Christopher Bird, in mitigation, said that she was a competent and popular instructor who was ?well regarded by her pupils and her employers? until the offence happened. In a letter to the court, Kenyon said: ?I can only apologise to the people I have hurt and embarrassed. I?m truly ashamed for what I have done. Any counselling you impose will be a blessing.?

Roger Stanley, of Ridesafe, said his company had very high standards and that he had been shocked and disgusted to learn of Kenyon?s conduct.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Indeed it is poignant, I am sure most of us here understand only too well where she was coming from when she uttered those words.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Marshy, I just read this week of a teacher in the States who was arrested after it was found she was teaching her class drunk. She had alcohol in a bag with her. She's charged with public drunkeness, felony child endangerment.

A few years ago, Hubs told me about a Supervisor at the power plant who continually came in drunk, and stayed drunk during the day, to the point he fell off his office chair. He was reported several times to upper management, but, in this day of extreme political correctness, as he was a minority, he was taken home, no reprimand. Finally it reached such a crises they offered him a retirement, which he took. A few months later he was dead. Raises a lot of questions about the intelligence of turning an eye instead of demanding treatment.

These are all stories we hear more and more about today in our high pressure world. Thank you for bring up this issue.
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

My last job was at a company where there is zero tolerance for AL and drugs.

People were tested at all times of day and night. I only went through three and passed! (Not sure how.)

The operation was 24hr, so these guys would turn up at 2.00 am and test the night guys.

And it was INSTANT dismissal if you tested positive. Even if you were "just" in the office.

Generally, it was the management that got busted. I don't ever recall a driver or warehouseman being caught.

Comment

Supposed to be the same way at Hubs company. He fires contract workers regularly for failing their tests. Also, one guy lost his job after he was arrested 3 times in 2 weeks for DUI. How he got out of jail, I'll never know.
          sigpic
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I had a job about 20 years ago where one guy would come back from a liquid lunch in the pub with a bag full of those minature bottles of gin, whisky, rum, whatever. He would line them up on the desk in front of him and work his way through them during the afternoon in full view of everyone.

Nobody said a word...
            sigpic

Comment

My father was an executive in NYC (he is now 83 and retired) but it was nothing for lunch to include cocktails... different time. What's interesting is that he said there was not the abuse and/or bingeing that you see today. You had them at lunch... before dinner... wine with dinner and that was it... our cultures relationship with alcohol is complex... I agree that there is so much stress in many ways that the anxiety/ pressure can get to you...
              LT formerly known as stillcrawling

Comment

Depends how old you are, Marshy.

Liquids lunches were a big thing in the 80's.

My husband used to work freelance. Go out to lunch, for the afternoon and get pissed, then go back to work and get paid double time for working passed 5.00 pm.

But then again, he also worked on the North Sea oil rigs and they are completely dry.

And all this was in the same industry. It seemed to be if you were in an office, on dry land, then being pissed in a office was OK.

Got to say, Hubby is a lot older than me, so I don't have personal experience of this. But I know it was OK to go for a beer at lunchtime in London in the late 80's / early 90's.

Comment

Back in early 80s we used to finish an hour early on a Friday and every week it would be a liquid lunch, some times running late so we would only be back in the office for an hour then straight back to the pub.
                  It was universally excepted here to have 1 or 2 with lunch as far as I can remember. Hardly ever see that now unless it is the sneaky G&T posing as lemonade.
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Was talking today at my group sessions how in my old work place in the clearing bank and it was back in the
                    80s and 90s where we had a bar in the work place down in the basement it was the in thing before starting work on a shift to go down the bar and have a few drinks or even lunch times (drinking) come back late it was alright if your manager was a alcoholic never got told off, mind you there was a lot of the managers that did have a drink problem. so i was ok ! And if the system was down at night time we all use to go over the pub for a couple of hours, no wonder the customers never got the right money in there account . They did close that bar down in the late 90s i think!!!! They knew they done a wrong one there, to have a bar in a work place,(madness) oh and when the fire alarm go of everyone had to go outside use to sneak in the pub ( across the road) for 1 or 2. I think they were my binge days......
                    Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                    sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                    my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

I read a book about a prison in Northern Ireland where the guards all used to drink during their breaks and lunch.

Isn't having a bar, for prison officers, a pretty bad idea?

Comment

Spam;834463 wrote:
                        Isn't having a bar, for prison officers, a pretty bad idea?
                        Yes, indeedy! It boggles the mind, doesn't it? :bonkers:

Comment

Rip Torn Pleads Not Guilty to Break-In Charges
                          Actor Rip Torn has entered a not guilty plea to charges of criminal trespass, carrying a gun without a permit, carrying a gun while intoxicated, burglary and criminal mischief. The charges stem from a January 29 incident when he when he was so intoxicated that he broke into a bank after hours because he thought it was his home

Trooper in Patrol Car Arrested for DUI
                          A gun-carrying, on-duty Colorado state troopers has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence. Sheriff deputies said David Dolan, 48, was driving his patrol car erratically on the beltway around southwest Denver.

Melbourne, May 10 : The Queensland Police Service is shunning widely enforced “dry” workplace rules by permitting alcohol to be consumed and stored at many stations across the state, an investigation by The Sunday Mail has found.

Official QPS policy permits after-hours drinking at official functions at police stations – with some stipulations, according to Assistant Commissioner Ross Barnett.

The beverage list must include low-alcohol and non-alcoholic drinks and the officers in charge of the station must monitor the function, he said.

The definition of a function includes station social club gatherings. Some stations, though, have opted to be declared "dry" with a total ban on alcohol anywhere on the premises unless their district officer gives permission.

The Queensland Police Service also conducts widespread random breath testing to ensure no officer drinks during their shift or is under the influence of alcohol while on duty, Assistant Commissioner Barnett said.

Two officers have been caught working while under the influence since 2005 and have been disciplined.

Sixteen police officers have been caught drink-driving in the past 16 months – seven of them in the first four months of this year.

Police said all were off-duty and were caught after private functions. On average, five police officers are caught DUI each year.

Police officials say there appears to be no direct evidence for the spike in arrests although some cited increased workloads, shorthanded rosters and increased stress on police as possible reasons for greater reliance on alcohol.

Police Commissioner Bob Atkinson has since vowed to sack any police officer caught over the legal limit while behind the wheel.

Assistant Commissioner Barnett said he understood community angst over recent police drink-driving arrests. (ANI)

It's everywhere.
                          sigpic

Comment

Catch22, I used to work in a bank in the 80's, it sounds like your bank!!! We all got pissed regularly at lunch time and nobody thought a thing about it - its no wonder the banks have brought Ireland to its knees!!!
                            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Ah, happy memories of the 1980s :H :H
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X