What do you mean I am an alcoholic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wannachange;855062 wrote: I know I have asked this before, I never really got a clear answer, or maybe I did but I just didn't want to hear it, I know I am never EVER going to drink alcohol again but I can't seem to define myself as an alcoholic. I can't tell my son in 16 years time "Yes son, I was asked to leave the house because I was an alcoholic".

I had a drink problem, I abused alcohol from time to time, which was a mistake - but an alcoholic, one that depends on alcohol, Here is an extract I got from this site, are they right?

Not everyone who drinks alcohol heavily is considered an alcoholic. People who drink regularly enough to affect their family or work responsibilities and who drink in a way that puts them in dangerous situations (for example, behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated) are said to abuse alcohol. Although they use alcohol in an unhealthy way, people who suffer from alcohol abuse do not necessarily develop a physical dependence upon alcohol.

Alcoholics, on the other hand, have a chronic disease. They are physically dependent upon alcohol. They feel a need to drink, almost in the same way that most people feel the need to eat. And once alcoholics start drinking, they are unable to stop. They develop a tolerance to alcohol, requiring more and more drinks to feel the same effects. When an alcoholic tries to cut down or stop drinking, he or she experiences the symptoms of withdrawal: sweating, nausea, shakiness, anxiety and delirium tremens (seeing images, severe shaking, confusion).

I have never had this or felt this, my withdrawals were simply cravings which are gone now after day 3 or 4 I think.

Opinions?
    :thanks:
    :welcome: There are many types of alcoholics and it is a progressive disease. Perhaps you realized you had a problem B4 it got really bad? That is good. Read a lot of posts here.
    That is what I did and it really was beneficial.

Me? I never had an off switch. I am the Energizer Bunny...just keep going and going.

Comment

I think part of the problem is just the word "alcoholic".

If I had diabetes or cancer, I would have no problem with "labeling" my self as a diabetic or cancer patient. But, I do struggle with calling myself an alcoholic. It conjures up feelings of being a low life. That comes from so many things. Media depicting the down and out person with the brown bag. People who don't struggle with the disease thinking it is just a character flaw.

It's just a word. Yet I too, have a VERY hard time with calling myself an "alcoholic". My friend whom I confide in, who is also in the battle, just told me a couple of days ago when I balked at calling myself an alcoholic; "Are you kidding me?"

These posts are spot on. Does it really matter? A problem is still a problem no matter how you dress it up.

Comment

I guess it's the term "alcoholic" that is being unhelpful to you? In an earlier "nom de plume" you listed an impressive array of drinking induced offenses that led to the end of your marriage and you seemed quite contrite and owned them all. Has this attitude changed, or is it the word that is bugging you?

Comment

The best day of my life was the day I finally accepted that I am alcoholic - which for me is just a term that means addicted to alcohol. When I finally accepted that fact, it set me free. That was the day I accepted that I cannot ever drink safely. That was the day I knew for sure what I had to do in order to get my life back.

And no, I never lived under a bridge or lost my home or my husband. Never got a DUI. Was a corporate executive for many years and am now a business owner. Two businesses these days. I'm finally holding my head up and living a far more honest life than I ever lived when I was drinking. I wouldn't trade this for anything.

If I had not accepted my alcoholism, I would still be where I was a couple of years ago struggling with drinking, struggling with life. Arguing with myself over whether I am really "that bad" or not.

I am happy to be DONE with the consequences of drinking. They were getting worse and now I see that the trend would have just continued.

I wish you the best as you sort out your own circumstances. I agree with the others that the label is very unimportant. It's what you decide to do about the consequences your drinking is bringing, and the drinking itself, that matters.

Strength and hope,
          DG
          Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
          Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Thanks all, guess its just the word that was bugging me.
            Rightio... I am an alcoholic, proven or otherwise.

I know I would not be here if the judge didn't say what he did - so he must know something.

Now my next question, when does an alcoholic stop being an alcoholic?

Comment

Phew. That's a another topic for debate I guess :-)

I know for myself having a drinking problem (being an alcoholic) that this will never change. If I have one drink It''ll likely lead to more and back to old patterns. Hence I'll always be an alcoholic?
              AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

According to the medical model, once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic. It is a disease that is primary, chronic and progressive. It is a fatal disease. You cannot cure it, only go into remission by not taking that first drink. It sets up a craving, for people who have an allergy to alcohol.

I too struggle with the term alcoholic, it is a powerful word, and yet it is just a word. What matters is that I am on a journey of life change, and positive change it is. We all have our stories to tell. Some of us lose more than others before we find our way out. Good luck to you.
                Formerly known as redhibiscus

Comment

I struggle with the word too. If I were a smoker, which I'm not, I think that I;d be able to discuss my addiction, and be prepared to tell others that I was weak, had cravings, tried to give up many times but always returned and so on. But change smoker to alcoholic, and I can't do it.

I've binged at home, I haven't really done anything silly - been ill a few times with other drinking friends, but nothing really bad. It's the urge, the craving for a glass of wine that is difficult, and it just doesn't get better. If I'm busy it's OK, but being 'retired' there are many times in the day when I have time to think about alcohol and the craving just continue/

Comment

Sheri;855732 wrote: I believe I was always an alcoholic, even before I had my first drink.

Had I not taken that first drink, I think I'd still be an alcoholic, I just wouldn't know that I was.

I am very fortunate to have a condition that I can control by not taking that first drink. I did not understand that for many, many years, but now I do, and I am very grateful.

I don't drink anymore, but I'm still an alcoholic, and I don't kid myself otherwise.

I don't have to shout it to the world, I just need to know that I am.

Thanks so much for starting this thread and asking the important questions. Hopefully, it will help you and others to come to terms with your condition much sooner than I did.

Denying the condition doesn't make it go away. It keeps us stuck in the condition with very dire consequences.

Sheri
                    wow. powerful words!

a real eye opener! thankyou x
                    The mind will intellectualize it, the heart will emotionalize it, yet the gut never lies.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9/girly-wirly-s-toolbox-2-45452.html

Comment

girly wirly, I'm with you. I'm the binge drinker. I can't have one and stop. I don't need alcohol every day though and don't crave it the way I crave food. I've been toying on what to call myself too. It is hard to put yourself in that "box" as you say. But I know for a fact that I feel guilt, shame, embarrassment, self-loathing, physically ill, and mentally ill after. It has caused problems between me and my husband. My son saw me REALLY wasted one night and had to parent me. My son once asked me a couple years ago if I could not have anymore Margaritas for the day. My son told my husband that he doesn't like when I drink because I cuss too much and get too agressive. I injure myself when drunk. The next day I wash the sheets and clothes I was wearing during my binge to "cleanse" myself of the night before. I have driven while smashed.

All the above are reasons that I'm an alcoholic, problem drinker, excessive drinker, have a drinking "problem" or whatever other label I want to put on it. It's not pretty and it's not healthy and it's putting a damper on the person I really want to be.
                      Frangipani

Last night of binge drinking May 4, 2010

AF Since May 5, 2010

Comment

Working...
                      X