I am having a really good week.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last week was very tough for me. Cindi mentioned something recently about days 30/60/90 being tough times for someone in recovery and it hit me last week in the 60-65 range. I craved from dawn to dusk and had lots of very dangerous "permission thoughts". The next day was no better. I ended up going to bed in the early evening just to close down the whole misery. Anyway what a difference 10 days make.

I got a new job. I hated my old one. I had been in it 11 years and the stress was killing me. It was sucking the life and soul out of me. I know that you can't blame a job on your drinking but it was not helping. I used to come home at night toxic with stress and over stimulation and over exhaustion and all sorts of nasty emotions. A bottle or 2 of booze then pass out, then do it all again. The AA people say you have to change your life as well as stop drinking and I knew that I would have to do something about my work situation. I applied for a new job I saw advertised in the newspaper. I didn't think I would get it because there is too much competition and a terrible recession on here at the moment but I did. I'm only on my 4th day but I can tell right away that I'm going to really like it.The difference I feel coming home in the evenings is unbelievable and I don't actually mind going in in the mornings. I have to go in at the ungodly hour of 6.00 every morning and I really don't mind. I am actually looking forward to going in. With no hangover its not a problem. My OH has agreed to go to a jazz concert that I wanted to see and the tickets arrived yesterday so I have that to look forward to.
    Its weird because I was so scared to put the drink down and yet here I am typing this in really good form.
    I am so glad I didn't cave in last week-Look at what I would have been missing. Anyway to those who are still drinking I can promise you that there is life after drink.I'm only on day 71 and I can see it starting already. To those who are having a bad day/week please hold on and don't go back to drinking. You could be in a very different place shortly. Anyway I just thought that I would share my good week with you as I am quick enough to share my bad ones!

One last thing. I ordered a book from America called First year sobriety-when all that changes is everything by Guy Kettelhack. I had heard people talking about it before on MWO but for some reason I had it in my head that you would need to have a decent run of sobriety under your belt before it would mean anything to you. I wish now that I had bought it when I was still drinking. If you are at the stage where you are sober for a few days then relapse then sober again you might want to buy it. It helps you look at some of the reasons why you are relapsing. Its very good.
    I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Really good to hear coalfire, I wish you well in your new job (and life) - I'm just going to order that book off Amazon too.
    Honour Thyself

Comment

How are things going with you Emily?
      I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

Coalface - Im so happy life is changing for the better!

as they say "change the way you look at things and the things you look at change!"
        I think the whole world looks different through sober eyes, we see things with so much clarity that we didnt see before. Its a brighter place thats for sure!
        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
        AF - JAN 1st 2010
        NF - May 1996

Comment

Sobriety brings many new options and pleasures, doesn't it?
          sigpic
          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Dear Coal Fire,
            Thanks for sharing such a positive note. It's encouraging for those of us just starting on our journey to hear from those with significant time under their belt. I am on day six AF, but still at yoga boot camp, which is giving me useful tools to deal with stress. My challenge will be this weekend when I am back in the real world. Having a community helps me with my commitment to myself.
            Free at Last
            "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
            http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Coalfire thanks so much for your post.

I've been having a really stressful time in a position I've been in for 11 years and I think it's time for a change as well. I was feeling kind of defeated and thinking another place might not be any better but your post reminded me that there could actually be something better out there!

Also, I am going to order that book! This is the second time I've heard of it and I have been struggling with going AF and then relapsing this year. (I seem to make it 20-25 days and then relapse). I'm on day 5 (again!) and determined to hang in there for the long haul this time. So I think that book will be right up my alley.

Thanks again and congratulations on the new position!

Comment

I really love to hear people doing so well not drinking and am very happy for you Coalfire.
                Long may it continue. We all know it can be very difficult at times but isnt it so worth it to fight those tough times. I cant beleive how much happier I am since I quit.

Well done, lets keep going

Damo
                x
                Still trying !!!
                AF 25th June2014

Comment

Hi coalfire well done on coming to terms with your sobriety as Imo getting sober & overcoming alcohol dependence doesn't just mean stopping drinking, It means changing the way you live your life and your outlook on life. Many people still feel a strong urge to drink alcohol for quite some time after they have taken the decision to give up. If life without alcohol occasionally makes you feel frustrated,lonely,bored, angry you are not alone, Lots people who have succeeded in giving up alcohol felt like this at first,The solution is not to fight the feeling, but to change your life,This means focusing on the positive things that give you more health,vitality and enjoyment for the things you choose to do, developing a positive plan of action is the first all important step,Good luck coalfire your doing great.Dont quit quitting.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                  I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Great to hear you doing so well coal.
                    To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Thanks for sharing Coalface. Going to order that book.

Rustop

Comment

Hi Coalfire

I'm doing great, I have even admitted to my partner that I have a problem, if you have a look at the previous posts that we were on you'll see more.

I have just received a book called 12 smart things to do when the booze and drugs are gone,by allen berger, looks good.

Looking back over my journey to get to where I am now I feel I've done things a bit 'erse from elbow' as we say in Scotland. I didn't drink for 3 years, as you know and within this time I done a lot of growing up emotionally and started on my spiritual path. For some reason I was sooooo balanced that AL pounced again into my mind and I thought that after so much time I would be able to moderate.

Obvously, I couldn't, lol, and this is what really threw me, how could I have been so balanced and let alcohol back into my life to completely throw me off balance again!!

I now see why, - my wise self knew that I didn't fully accept I had an addiction problem and what happened was supposed to happen.

I'm just grateful that I have the strength to see this and the strength to want the balance again - a place of contentment, joy and happiness. Why pick a life of anxiety, poor health and self-hate over this amazing way to live.

I now know that just one glass of wine throws me into obsession over the next one and the next one and I cannot control it. I really thought I could do the 'couple of glasses of wine' but I couldn;t and it is not my fault that I can't. I am not alone, I am not bitter, I am not angry, it is what it is.

But what a bloody load of pain to get to this place!!
                        Honour Thyself

Comment

Thanks Coalfire, I will look into getting that book.

Comment

Working...
                          X