my worries for the next few weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have decided to quit drinking but suddenly i worry about the consequences of it - especially the next couple of weeks

1) a week off work - i will not be travelling, but will be at home for the duration
    2) my sisters wedding
    3) a music festival

All of these events I would usually be "indulging" but now I won't , but i also don't know how to do so

What are your coping strategies for these things?

Hi Holey good for you for wanting to quit. The best advice I can give you is not to worry about up coming events as quitting is definately one day at a time (ODAT) so its best you think of today and tomorrow will take care of itself

Wishing you well on your journey :l
    Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Panno is right. One day at a time. But if you're looking for subsitute ideas I'd suggest the following.

Answer to Q.1
      If you have a partner organise day trips and/or evening meals out, then go home and initiate a lot of sex. If you are single get involved in something (go to the gymn everyday and hang around in coffee shops reading your favourite authors, then read till you sleep).

Answer to Q.2
      If you don't want to raise the alcohol issue say you're ill and on anti-biotics so you can't drink. Cling to the non-drinkers when you're there and leave the reception as early as appropriate and DO NOT let others convince you to drink because that's about making them feel better as much as what they say may feel better for you. You can have more meaningful fun at the wedding sober than intoxicated and you'll remember the wedding better!

Answer to 3

If you're going with a significant other see answer to Q.1. If you're going with friends only (who'll be drinking) make an attempt to bond with other festival goers who are not drinking (not everybody drinks there) and if you're single this is a great opportunity to make a good impression with a potential partner if you're sober. I used to go to festivals all the time and not drink - remember you're there to hear good music!! If everybody is drunk and you're depressed there get your kindle out and read: keep yourself entertained without compromising to anyones expectations or what you think they expect of you.

Just some suggestions and the way I would play it.

med+c

Comment

Panno is right. One day at a time. But if you're looking for subsitute ideas I'd suggest the following.

Answer to Q.1
        If you have a partner organise day trips and/or evening meals out, then go home and initiate a lot of sex. If you are single get involved in something (go to the gymn everyday and hang around in coffee shops reading your favourite authors, then read till you sleep).

Answer to Q.2
        If you don't want to raise the alcohol issue say you're ill and on anti-biotics so you can't drink. Cling to the non-drinkers when you're there and leave the reception as early as appropriate and DO NOT let others convince you to drink because that's about making them feel better as much as what they say may feel better for you. You can have more meaningful fun at the wedding sober than intoxicated and you'll remember the wedding better!

Answer to 3

If you're going with a significant other see answer to Q.1. If you're going with friends only (who'll be drinking) make an attempt to bond with other festival goers who are not drinking (not everybody drinks there) and if you're single this is a great opportunity to make a good impression with a potential partner if you're sober. I used to go to festivals all the time and not drink - remember you're there to hear good music!! If everybody is drunk and you're depressed there get your book or kindle out and read: keep yourself entertained without compromising to anyones expectations or what you think they're expecting of you.

Just some suggestions and the way I would certainly play it.

med+c

Comment

A quarter of an antabuse tablet means that you cannot drink no matter what. In some strange way this helps because it closes down the whole will I or wont I drama right from the start. I ordered mine from goldpharma. I have only used them once but I love knowing I have them.

Note-Antabuse is only suitable for those who are 100% sure that they won't try and drink through it. It can make you very unwell or worse.
          I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

There is no way the bottle is going to be stronger than I am.

Comment

medic;1099436 wrote:
            If you have a partner organise day trips and/or evening meals out, then go home and initiate a lot of sex.
            This one works very well....or so someone told me
            I am a sobriety tart. AA/Smart/RR philosophy, meds/diet/exercise/prayer,rabbbits feet/four leaf clovers/horseshoes. Yes please.I will have them all thank you very much.Bring them on

Comment

i'm married with an extremely supported wife - so if sex is what it takes to stay off alcohol, goddammit it is a sacrifice I am willing to make

Aside from that, the suggestions are great. I am going One day at a time, but also arming myself for what may/will come.

My one day at a time challenge for today? the pub at 10pm to watch Bar?a hopefully beat Real Madrid to the same degree as they did the last time ( i live in Madrid, spain so these are fighting words here )

Comment

holeymoleymeohmy;1099485 wrote: i'm married with an extremely supported wife
                Supported or supportive? If its the first lucky her,if its the second lucky you.:H

Good luck with the pub. it was weeks and weeks before I could face it and then I only stayed an hour. I hope your team wins.

Comment

Hey, holeymoley--
                  re: the coping strategy suggested (substitute sex for AL activities), no joke, if you haven't noticed already, you surely will: increasing abstinence definitely affects the sex drive. Among the many expected and unexpected gains after quitting AL, that one was "up" there near the top of my list. Wow
                  Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

Hey, holeymoley--
                    re: the coping strategy suggested (substitute sex for AL activities), no joke, if you haven't noticed already, you surely will: increasing abstinence definitely affects the sex drive. Among the many expected and unexpected gains after quitting AL, that one was "up" there near the top of my list. Wow
                    Resisting all Magical Thinking...one day at a time

Comment

Working...
                    X