Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens in Vegas...

Hey Everyone

Haven't posted since my trip to Vegas...been wondering how to write about where I'm at now because I did end up drinking for 2 out of the 4 nights. I know that a handful of you were following my progress so I wanted to let you know how things are going.

The reason I've found this a dilemma is that I don't consider the drinking that I did there a relapse, or even a 'slip'. I don't have any regrets about it, I don't feel guilty. I did have more than I 'should have' or 'meant' to but it was a conscious decision, at no time did it get really messy or uncontrollable and I can only really describe it as a 'situational occurrence'.

I was just shy of 100AF days when I went and since I got back 10 days ago, I haven't drunk, haven't craved it, am not thinking about it and life is all good! I intend on keeping this frame of mind for the indefinite future.

The main message I want to get across is that this experience has reminded me what a very personal and individual experience this is. I don't want to give anyone just starting out a reason or excuse to think they can just have a few and it will be ok, because I did it and was/am alright. A friend who started out right at the same time as me relapsed in the last couple of weeks, ended up in ER and is now moving into a transition house. So it's really a huge gamble because we can never really predict which way things are going to go when we pick up that bottle...

That said, I am feeling a shift has taken place since/because of the Vegas episode. It showed me that I can drink a bit in a controlled manner around other people. Left to my own devices (or with a fully stocked minibar) though, I will always want more and will have more if I can. This reminds me of what I already know: that I can't have alcohol in the house and that drinking by myself is dangerous. I can deal with both of those things.

I also feel that I'm looking at AL now like a drug or like smoking. I quit smoking years ago but every once in a while (I'm talking once every 2 years or so), I may have a smoke. Usually I quite enjoy it and usually I want more. The thing is that I never let myself go down that road anymore because I really, really don't want to be a smoker. And I am starting to feel the same way about AL. I think that going forward, I might drink very occasionally (say 2-3 times a year, but maybe not even that) but I will do it with the knowledge that I'm going to want more and will have to think about whether I'm prepared to go through the cravings just for the sake of a night or two. I think I feel ok about that.

I know I can't moderate and I enjoy being AF and not having to think about all of it anymore but if I have a few drinks once every 6 months or so, I'm not going to beat myself up over it. And I will not be entering lightly into any drinking occasions. If there's the potential for anything to get exponentially out of hand, I won't go there. I value what I have too much now.

I LOVE the way my life is going these days, there is much to look forward to and it has everything to do with taking back control and just feeling so much better in and about myself as a result. I'm definitely the healthiest and happiest I've been in years and I'm not going to throw that away.

Hope you've all enjoyed this fine Thursday. We've had snow here today...it really is time to get out of winter dodge and head for the Mediterranean or somewhere.
    Keep fighting the good fight all.
    Bean

What happens in Vegas...

Lucky you, if you can do it like that. I also have had a few drinks in the last few months, without slipping back into daily suicide mode - but only cos I am cheating by taking baclofen, which makes it almost impossible to continue being an alcoholic.

The thing is, if you ever were an alcoholic (which is presumably the reason on this forum), you still are - so saying you can out of the blue drink once and leave it at that is a pretty dangerous game to play. I know that I couldn't possibly do it - in 12 years pre baclofen my longest dry period was a whopping 4 days. By which time I figured I deserved a drink...

But, in all, having a controlled drink every now and then - if you can do it - is probably a lot smarter than going insane trying to tot up a million consecutive AF days just to prove what a saint you are. Whatever keeps you sane and happy is probably more important than sobriety for sobriety's sake...

Comment

What happens in Vegas...

How was Vegas, by the way?

I would never dare go there! When I was a teenager I was a "fruit machine" addict. I actually went to live in Europe to escape the damn things! They do have them there, but they're pathetic compared to the British ones, and not at all addictive. One game and I was cured! Every time I'm in the UK though, I end up in a pub, getting drunk and putting a hundred quid in the fruity... old habits die hard.

So I would never go near Vegas!

Comment

What happens in Vegas...

Hi Bean, I am really glad that you love the way your life is going - that is the important part. To think of alcohol as a drug, for many of us, seems appropriate. You make a great point in talking about how everyone has their own relationship with alcohol. You may be starting to figure out your power relationship with the evil poison. Don't forget, "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist".

All the best,
        Hill
        Sober since Feb 7, 2010.

Comment

Working...
        X