Today's run.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's run.

I know we have a few runner's here, and quite a few plodder's too! I am a plodder usually, but do break out into my version of 50 metre sprints, from time to time.

I try to run 4 times a week ideally, but the reality these past couple of years has been 2 runs a week. My now, and still new AF life, is rich and full, and i've immersed myself in things i enjoy doing. Today's run is a little milestone for me, which has prompted me to write about it. The sun was shining mostly, along with a few grey cloud's, but a fairly mild, and beaut Melbourne autumn morning.

Off out the door i went, (and just getting yourself out the door, putting one foot in front of the other, is always a plus i reckon) thinking i'd just jog my usual 2/3 klm's to the park, do some push-up's and sit-up's, then home for some weight training, shower, and into the day. I noticed i often rush my runs or plod's, so today, with plenty of time up my sleeve, and the day to myself, i decided to slow down my plodding even more, and i soon found a comfortable rythym. I reached my park, but for some reason i chose to run a bit further. As the sun kept shining down, and with my mind at ease, (i really can't complain about my lot in life, and don't) i kept on. On and on, and on. I thought to myself, ok G-man, go for 5 k's at least, as you haven't done that for awhile, so i did. Then, still feeling good, knees holding up, i decided i'd run a distance i hadn't ran for about 2 years. 10 Kilometeres. So i ran to Princess park, here in Melbourne, which is a huge area with many sporting grounds, and a popular running track around it which is 3.2 k's for one lap. The lush green grass, courtesy of our recent lengthy rain, was welcomed by my knees, as I ran 2 laps. Distance covered- 2 laps =6.4 k's, + around 4 k's to and from. 10 k's! I just kept running, and it was bloody great.

I feel a quiet sense of achievement. That sort of achievement that no-one else can know about, only you. The kind of achievement only we know when we complete day 1 alcohol free. The kind of achievement only we can know and feel, understand, and be proud of, when we reach 30 day's AF. The personal goals we set for ourselves, and then we go for them. When we drink, then try to hide it from other's. The lies we tell, and ongoing lies that we have created that soon enough can end up defining us, and imprisoning us. We know this too. Only WE know the truth. WE know our truth. YOU, know your truth, or at least, you know what isn't your truth, and for me, my truth was not getting numb every day year after year.

I often talk of ramping my sobriety up to the next level. I feel today i did that. Just with my humble little jog. You can take your sobriety to the next level too you know, whatever that means to you.

And it all start's with taking a little step. A step out that door, putting one foot in front of the other. Go for it!

G-bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Today's run.

:l

Comment

Today's run.

Wow what an inspirational share - thank you so much
      Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Today's run.

mmmmm..... I could feel that!!! Wonderful! :h
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Today's run.

Hey G, I am runner too. Running faster and further and freer now that I have 75 days AL free.

It's interesting that you relate the AL goals to the running goals, I used that when I started my 30 days AL free quest. For every sober day I would treat myself to extra running time on my next run. (Scottish weather permitting of course!)

Everything about life is so much better without AL, especially my running. I feel so much more alive, more aware, more a part of things.

Well done on your 10k, and well done too for such a thoughtful and inspirational post. I am off to think about what taking it to the next level means for me. Thank you.

Comment

Today's run.

Excellent post Mr G.

Inappropriate comment sorry
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Today's run.

Inappropriate comment 2 sorry
              Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Today's run.

Very cool and very inspiring. good one g-man

Comment

Today's run.

Hi All
                  G great read for the start of my day. The aspect of getting back control of our lives by getting al out of it. Then taking it even further by adding activities [what ever they may be] that make life so enjoyable.Being someone who used a physical activity to help in my recovery I can feel it. Nice start to another sober day.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08
                  Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08

Comment

Today's run.

Thank you, G. I hope and believe many can relate to the feelings you describe, in other aspects of their own lives.
                    Recently I was out walking in the mountains (something I previously COULDN'T have done) and suddenly the realization came to me -I FEEL GOOD! For me, that was a feeling I had forgotten, lost in a bottle. It almost feels like we've opened a genie.
                    Enjoy, G, and keep running!
                    sigpic
                    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Today's run.

Run Forrest Run....

Sorry G---it did bring that movie to mind. Your post was very inspiring. Very happy for you! xo

Start by doing what's necessary, then what's possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

St. Francis of Assisi

Comment

Today's run.

Mr G - awesome post!
                        The greatest victories are the ones we experience on the inside and I could feel yours in your words. I spent 3 hours today with the lovely Mario and we put the world to rights. One of the things we discussed was our truth and how much more there is to sobriety than quitting drinking. The journey is a truly amazing one And smiling on the inside when we see our achievements is the best feeling in the world.
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

Today's run.

Thank you for your post G man.
                          I have recently started jogging daily, and feel it has been a big part in my journey to sobriety city. It started very slowly, but im slowly stepping it up a gear and have lost over half a stone in 6 weeks. I find its helped me when I get those 'irritating' moments in my head....go for a walk or jog and I come back tired and content.
                          Im printing your post out and using it as an inspiration and motivation when I feel I 'cant be bothered tdy'
                          Thank you mate.
                          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Today's run.

Thank you Mr G for a lovely post, I can just imagine you running in the sunshine listening to music and enjoying the buzz. Here's to many more, now where are my running shoes...............
                            Enjoy today - there will be no other one quite like it....

Comment

Today's run.

What an inspirational post - its raining in the King Country today so I had a treadmill run this morning - 15ks at 10ks per hour - so after a 10 minute warmup at 8ks per hour and then an hour and a half running I feel like you free!! Usually on a Saturday morning I'd step on the treadmill or go for a road run with a hangover and lots of guilt - be worrying about my weight,worrying about the damage I'd done to myself the night before and now I dont have to. Only to look forward to the three upcoming races I have AF.

Comment

Working...
                              X