Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is Managing the site?

Hello Readers -

I am honestly trying to write this query in as positive a way as I can. This is a great site with BIG resources that help numerous people. Since 2007, maybe 2006, I have been active off & on here. I have learned a great deal.

Recently, I have been dismayed by the lack of updates to the website. I want to come back here and find something new, but it seems to just be existing as it did from 'day(s) one'. It makes me think that no one is 'minding the store'. I believe ALL fitness and health concerns need continual updating of research and information. I don't see that happening here, other than by members, so I am beginning to wonder....

PLEASE, someone tell me how wrong this observation is. I want to be shown the new information from site administrators. I want to know that there are people behind the scenes who still are active and involved with infusing the community with new and pertinent information and tools.

It feels like an effort that got launched with an involved Admin (for a time), but now is left to survive on its own - that's what it feels like - please tell me I am wrong.

Please...tell me where to find 'Roberta Jewel' actively involved here, or that the doctor on the Home page is still involved. Go to the Home page and look around - everything posted is from 2005-2006! This is great to get this wonderful site going, but without updating, I wonder how it can survive effectively.

Please do not be angry with me for these observations,

Hidden

Thanks for your post, HG, and your reply, Sheri. Good!
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

I have often wondered the same thing. When I tried to contact Dr Garcia I got no response
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Hi Sheri -

That doesn't really tell me much, other than give support to my suspicions.....

Comment

As far a i can tell there are no moderators here anymore and its left to mwo members here themselves.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

If its any help my subscription payment goes to Capalo Press but their site doesnt look like it has been updated in years. They are part of Capalo Press and Health services inc. who control MWO, the health supllement online shop and the book/download sales.
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

This is a very interesting question, Hidden, as I've wondered the same thing-there seems to be no input from administration at all-I belong to another site that has all the bells and whistles-it is constantly updated and you get input from the moderators and the "leader" of the site all the time-they just changed their interface as well-and it looks pretty snazzy...that site doesn't have a "subscription" service either- it is soley based on donations from members.
              I like this site for the wonderful people I've met, though- which is why I am here...
              It would be nice to see it updated...I had made a few suggestions once and heard nothing back.
              It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

KTAB;1113498 wrote: If its any help my subscription payment goes to Capalo Press but their site doesnt look like it has been updated in years. They are part of Capalo Press and Health services inc. who control MWO, the health supllement online shop and the book/download sales.
                I looked up Capalo press- and it was last updated in 2005- then I looked up where it was located and it has Anchorage Alaska as it's address...maybe everything just got frozen back in time...?
                It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

The reason I decided to subscribe was because I appreciate there are some hefty costs in terms of time, effort and hosting expenses involved in running a site like this and I would hate to think it would cease through lack of monetary support.
                  Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Sheri;1113563 wrote: How many of us donate money to have a better site?
                    If you don't believe me- here is a link-check it out...The name of the person that started it up back in 2004 is Jonus Luster and he is constantly involved with that site- I am not "dissing" this site I am just agreeing that it could be updated a bit-especially considering there are subscribers paying monthly fees. I am under a different name there.
                    WQD Forums
                    I'm not promoting that site, either, btw- they do not have a meds section like this site- which is why I joined here- I was looking into a site that was more tolerant of meds-and I wanted to research that. Some of the people on that site are using meds and The Sinclair Method to help them-but most of the people there are doing just cold turkey.
                    It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

Well here's my take. This site has helped me many times. I've made some priceless friendships here, met some great people, always received support, challenges when needed, this site has helped me immensely AND, I don't care if Martians run it, people care here and I am very thankful it exists!

Comment

Sheri;1113630 wrote: I didn't say I didn't believe you, Fluff, but the majority of us do not pay as members here and are not required to do so, and that was my point. It takes resources to have bells and whistles, constant moderation, and updates, and perhaps there are not enough paying members here to support it and they are doing the best they can with the resoruces they have.

RJ explained in her post last year which I linked above that she set the site up to be self-sustaining and also why she is not as involved as she used to be which is understandable to me. Perhaps updates are planned in the future, I don't know, but the FM's would be the best people to contact with concerns. I sent a PM to the Forum Moderator this morning to alert them to Hidden's concerns, and they responded back that they will forward them on to RJ, so they are aware.

I personally side on the fence with Hart though. This site saved my life just as it is, and I really don't see the point of shedding a negative light on it and biting the hand that feeds me (helps to keep me sober), so to speak. I always worry about what newcomers and lurkers will think reading negative comments about the site and that they will steer them away from getting the help and support that is available here that has saved so many.
                        Well put, Sherri. I completely agree with all that you have said. I am another grateful member. Grateful that MWO offered me the information needed to figure out my own way out and the support to help me get through the process.

Let's face it, no one will recover from Alcohol Abuse because of "Bells and Whistles" nor artwork,nor a lack of updates from the site owners. The information on MWO is still valid and if we cannot find what we are looking for, we can inquire of other members or create a web search on our own and share the information with others. This process has worked well many times!

I for one, am grateful that RJ keeps this site up and working for all of us!

Thank You, RJ!
                        Kate
                        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

I totally agree with you, Sheri and Kate-this site is enormously helpful- which is why I am here.
                          It's always YOUR choice!

Comment

One alcoholic helping another (without bells and whistles) has been an effective means for people to find sobriety for many many years. I'm so grateful this forum is here - this was my start to finding other alcoholics willing to share their experience, strength and hope to get ME on the path to sobriety. I'm glad we are all still here and able to pay it forward.

Thank you RJ.

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Dear Hidden,

I'm glad to know you've found this site helpful. Its mission to help those who suffer with alcohol addiction remains intact and will never change.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the cost of maintenance and upkeep of a site like this is not insignificant. I continue to serve as overall administrator (I have contracted daily maintenance to others), but I simply do not have time to support it in its current state with the limited revenue it generates. That was never its purpose--to make money. I was eager, and able, to throw abundant energy into MWO when I first launched this site, but it took a ton of time, energy and investment. I am proud of my work and I care deeply for the visitors here, but I have moved on. New life, new marriage, new career. I'm doing really well and I am committed to the mission of MWO, but I can no longer participate in the forum at the same level.

I understand the site needs updating, but frankly at this point, my choice is to take it down or leave it as is. I simply don't have time to oversee an overhaul of the website, forum and blog. For that reason, I've chosen to host the site in its current state, for now anyway, because I think it still provides helpful information and support to those who visit.

And many do visit--thousands each week. Except for a small number of Subscribers, to whom I am *extremely* grateful, those visitors are non-paying registered members or guests who all benefit from the site at no charge.

Over the past couple of years I've been encouraged to use social networking in my outreach. I am considering a Twitter page, which should be easier to update more regularly. I often find fascinating articles in addiction research or web resources I'd love to share with you, and Twitter may be another avenue for that.

As I read this thread, I must say that it is so heartwarming to read the posts from those of you who have benefited from this place. I smile when I see many of your user names because I feel as if I know you. Everyone here is such an important member in this network of support and I am continually grateful for the contributions each of you make.

My very best to all of you,

RJ
                              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Help keep our forum strong--make a contribution to My Way Out. Or show your support by becoming a Subscriber and enjoy enhanced features, as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X