The pros and cons of drinking and staying af

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought up an idea. It may help people to have a list of the pros and cons of drinking and being af so I thought that I would make this thread (had one ready but stupid keyboard ate it. I wish I could replace it but I can't afford it right now) Here is my lists and feel free to add your own.

The pros of drinking
    I have some fun
    I can be not myself and have an excuse for it
    Feeling like the life of the party

The cons of drinking
    The hangovers
    The time and money wasted
    Not getting things that I wanted to get done the day after for being too hungover
    Missing work/church for being too hungover
    Drinking too much and making a fool out of myself
    Being cut off
    Needing a designated driver
    Not being able to do things spur at the moment for ether drinking or too hungover
    Not being to be there as much (or wanting to be there but yet want to drink) for a person during an emergency

The pros of being af
    The money and time saved
    Having even more fun
    Getting things done the day after
    Not being hungover
    Not missing work/church
    Feeling great
    Once I can drive well enough being the designated driver
    Being able to do things spur of the moment because I am not drinking/hungover
    Being able to be there more if an emergency comes up

The cons of being af
    Not being the life of the party so much (but that doesn't bother me)
    Don't get to let loose so easily
    Missing the fun that was brought by drinking (but not missing the bad stuff and defiantly having more fun and better fun now)
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Love this - I have been thinking about this in my head so much lately. You hit on some great points!!! Thank you!
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Your welcome. And another con of drinking

Not knowing when to stop before you get wasted.
      I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Alison.

Comment

Hi Drifty great post. This is exactly what my Smart Recovery group discussed the first night I went. They call it a Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) and it is a list of the advantages and disadvantages to drinking. I had never looked at it like that before and it was a huge help in changing my thinking. They also suggested we carry the lists with us in the beginning so if we felt weak or challenged we could reread it and remind ourselves why we are trying to quit. I found it amazing that my advantages of drinking were so small and silly. When you really think and put down on paper it really puts it in too perspective.
          AL free since March 17th 2011...loving this life. No drinking no matter what.

Hi my name is Lori and i am so happy to be here.

Comment

Working...
          X