occupying...or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

occupying...or not.

So, my partner has been in NYC for the past week, at Occupy Wall Street, camping at the park, etc. I am really proud of him, and have been trying to get involved locally as well. (Hard to do with my schedule and transportation issues, but I am really doing what I can.)

Am I wrong to be a little annoyed though, that I haven't seen him in over 5 weeks, and when I ask him when he is coming home, he just says he isn't sure?

I think it's really awesome that he is there, but I also feel it is irresponsible to our relationship as well. Kind of selfish?

Maybe I am just crazy. Feeling like it lately.

Sorry, this doesn't have anything to do with AL really. Although I have been feeling cravings. I think just related to my mixed up emotions.

occupying...or not.

I'd be peeved. Where was he the previous four weeks? Does he work? Why does he not know when he'll be home?

Comment

occupying...or not.

He does work, and is able to do most everything from his laptop and/or phone. He had been in Vermont working, where he owns a home and a business, and is a part time resident...and decided he was too close to NYC to not go there. He is getting incredibly wrapped up in the OWS movement, and is just sort of there, till he isn't anymore. No plans to leave...and I am lucky if I get 2 texts from him a day. I think we talked on the phone two nights ago?
      Waiting to hear from him now, although he was in a General Assembly meeting an hour ago, and said he didn't know how long it would go, or if we could talk tonight.
      As much as I am very interested in the OWS movement (and I know, it isn't for everybody, not trying to be politically preachy here at all) I find that the only way we can be our best selves, is to be responsible for all we have in our lives first. That is what makes us good people, and able to go out into the world to work for our causes.
      I feel like all of a sudden, him being there, and me staying there, is causing us to grow apart. He is having some really intense experiences, that I would like to be a part of. Unfortunately, I have a job that I have to physically go to, and school, and cats.

Comment

occupying...or not.

Abielle,

Whilst I may not agree entirely with the protestor's focus, I do agree wholeheartedly that if you believe in something that strongly, you must do your course.

Let him follow this through. I admire his strength and determination.

That is what this world needs.

Again, I do not wholly believe in the focus but I do believe in their right to say what they believe. That is so US American. I am glad it is not dead.

Meanwhile. Be proud. Know that there are things that are important in life and your SO is fighting for them. Right or wrong. I don't know. But it is right to fight for what you believe in.

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

occupying...or not.

Whatever the cause, whatever the protest, I think I'd be a bit cheesed off if my partner didn't stay in touch, particularly given the ease of communication we have ... mobile phone, skype, email etc.
          There are many others there to take up the cause if he takes a break to come home for a week, catch up with you then go back and resume the protest. He may be caught up in it, but he's not so caught up that he isn't working, so my rationale is that he could set his computer to remind him to phone you. And as fennel says, where has he been the other 4 weeks?

Comment

occupying...or not.

feeling left out

I am really sympathetic to your post but Cinders has a point.

The winter is coming and what happens then? Will there be that end in sight?

I think you should try to make an effort to go there and visit for a long weekend. It sounds like you would find it very interesting and it might help you reconnect. But as intense as things are, he shouldn't lose sight of you because of the movement.

Comment

occupying...or not.

Unfortunately, I don't have a car. I can't afford a plane ticket. I have to request time off of work at least 2 weeks ahead of time, which would pretty much put us into November at this point. (And I really hope he is back by then!) So, going there is really out of the question for me. As awesome as it would be.
              I am hoping to go to something tonight, locally, for it. There is a lot going on in town today, but I have to go to work shortly, until 8pm, so I will be missing all of it. If I go at 8, basically, I think I will just be hanging out with campers. Which is fine I suppose, and it's what I can do right now I guess.

I just get worried every time I turn the key off on the Vespa though, as it is acting up, that it won't start again, and I won't get home. I have taken it to the shop 2 x in the past 2 weeks, and they have found nothing wrong with it. (Except that it intermittently won't start for me, when I am not there in front of them. Murphy's Law?) So, I am afraid to really go anywhere besides school and work. But, I will try to take a chance tonight.

Comment

occupying...or not.

I would be angry and feel abandoned.....
                I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

occupying...or not.

I do understand ideals, and sticking with them, but I would find it hurtful that he can't even tear himself away for a moment for a conversation. Plus, I'm curious to know where he was for the preceding four weeks. I'd feel a bit low on his list of priorities, I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                  X