Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to help with my school project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DG,

If you really take a hard look at the US Government's position on alcohol you will see a huge case study on Harm Reduction.

Prohibition outlawed alcohol, but people made it illegally. Being it wasn't regulated people were dieing from drinking home made batches, the criminals created a black market for it and it created more crime in the US. (I'm sure you know the story). Anyways our whole alcohol regulatory system is basically one big study in harm reduction because they could not keep people from drinking.

Comment

Doggy...I have nothing to add, but I cannot wait to see what you learn...this is very interesting
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

DG, there was a big debate here a couple of years ago about establishing a wet house, and it didn't go ahead in the end. It appears we would rather keep homeless drunks living on the street than help them with their efforts to get sober.

Wellington suburban 'wet house' in doubt | Stuff.co.nz
        Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

Hey DG,

Check this out. Needle and syringe program/harm reduction in prisons.

NSP in Prisons ? Anex

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Hi DG.

In the UK there are very large recovery communities that are at the forefront of changing people's perceptions and ideas about drug and alcohol misuse. A lot of these Recovery Orientated Integrated Services, that are mostly peer lead, are paving the way towards making abstinence a real reality. That being said recovery does transcend, whilst embracing, harm reduction and abstinence based approaches and does not seek to be prescriptive here.

But what's also becoming more apparent is the fact that the methadone advocates from way back when methadone was first prescribed are realising the enormous overbearing impact that is now having on the National Health Service and Probation Services as a whole. What was used to basically manage the crime figures for UK governments over the years, by keeping supposed heroin addicts off the streets and committing crimes has lead to many heroin addicts becoming addicted to methadone. I have a number of close personal friends who have been on methadone for as long as they've been on heroin. Some of those who have stopped using methadone as a harm reduction and are now clean have told me just how addictive and damaging to their health methadone was. Subutex is now fast becoming the replacement for methadone here but it's expensive as hell to buy and so not many people are offered and prescribed it straight away here.

The idea is that if you're around recovery long enough and recovery advocates and champions (as they're known in this country) through engaging in a ROIS, then the likely-hood is you'll want to continue on from harm reduction to becoming fully abstinent yourself. The power of one addict helping another addict is VERY powerful as you'll be all too aware from attending fellowship yourself.

Video: David Best on the compatibility between Recovery and the Risk Reduction model - by FEAD David Best is a leading 'expert' (whatever that means!!) in this country on addiction.

Love and Blessings
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
            Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hi Doggygirl, just want to say that i think its great what your doing and it good to see that sobriety is a gift of life and your living it !:l
              I know you will be a great helper in helping people. Its in your blood....
              Formerly known as Teardrop:l
              sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
              my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Hello everyone! Just wanted to shout out some thanks to everyone who contributed links and ideas for this project!! It really helped my team get a jump start on things. We had our debate yesterday. We were very well prepared and I think we made very strong arguments in favor of some harm reduction strategies that some (in the US anyway) would consider very controversial. It was fun! I think we kicked the other team's booty but I won't find out the teacher and class feedback until tomorrow. Will report back then.

Team MWO Rocks!!

DG
                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                X