Thanks for the help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help!

Hi. I haven't posted for a while so I thought I would pop in for an update and say thanks to all of the members who helped me be successful.

I haven't had any alcohol for about 15 months. Not a drop. I quit twice before for about 4 months each time using this site and the encouragement of it's members. Both times previously I went back to drinking thinking I could control it. Of course it ends up controlling me in the end.

This third time I have been very successful and thought I would pass along some observations.

There were several milestones along the way I thought were interesting. It took many many months to actually feel "normal". I thought after 30 days AF I would starting to feel "normal" but in hindsight I did not.

I do know (now) with the amount of alcohol I drank I was masking/creating other problems. From months 3-6 AF I suffered through some mild depression as my body adapted to no more alcohol. Whether that be from physical or mental adjustments or both, I am not sure. This was probably the make or break point for me (failed twice before around this time).

From 6 months to a year was where I started to see/feel some real changes of returning to "normal".

Some of the biggest changes include no longer having that feeling of being agitated and aggressive all of the time. I sleep like a rock every night and wake up refreshed. Actually going to bed sober is something I look forward to, a lot. Knowing I will wake up sober is a great feeling.

For the first part of this journey, I remember waking up expecting to feel hungover and then realizing I wasn't. It's a great feeling.

I also managed to finally take control of my poor eating habits. I have lost 70 pounds since quitting drinking. Most people are shocked to see the difference from where I was to where I am.

My family cannot believe how nice and calm I am all of the time now. My stress levels both personally and professionally have dropped dramatically.

I am posting here today in hopes that others starting on this wonderful journey can see that there are people who are successful at this. Maybe others, like me, will take what they need and move on. Which is why I wanted to come back and say thank you to all of those members who stick around and offer help and advice.

Anyway, for those just starting, there is a better life if you can stick with it. I know there can be social pressures or work pressures to drink, but you can be successful in life without drinking.

Good luck to all!

Thanks for the help!

Thanks, Mohun for sharing your observations. It is invaluable for us who are still on our A/F journey to read posts like yours. Fifteen months is sure something to be very proud of. Nothing beats that feeling in the morning when we wake up and actually HAVE to go pee instead of being so dehydrated that our bodies won't even release any after a full night. I look forward to many mornings of waking up feeling refreshed and happy and proud.
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Thanks for the help!

mohun, thanks so much for thinking about us and posting. I love the fact that you are feeling so much better (and that you lost 70 pounds, I think I found them)
      Please keep stopping by, we could use some advice from someone who made it to the other side.:goodjob:
      Wally22:confusedmonkey::confusedmonkey::confusedmo nkey:
      If I don't want to brag but I can still wear the earings I wore in highschool
      November 2, 2012

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Hey Mohun

Thank you very much, I appreciate your timeline. I'm at 3 months and reading what you experienced is very helpful.
        You just sound really wonderful and I'm very happy for you. I look forward to AF 2012.

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Way to go, Mohun! So nice of you to drop in and share.

I agree with your honest observations while quitting. 30 days does feel good, but it is so small in comparison to the work that comes for many more months down the road.

I also agree, the sleep is fantastic! And the sense of calm and lower stress levels are something I have as well. I always was on edge and grumpy while drinking/recovering/drinking, etc.

Congrats to you!

xoxo

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Mohun, I can't thank you enough for this post. It's so helpful to hear specifics of what you experienced! You sound wonderful, and you've given me a great deal of hope knowing what I have to look forward to.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

mohun, thanks for posting - and thanks for unwasted for pointing out ths post.

Your observations are incredibly helpful - we all need to know that it's quite normal to not feel totally "there" at 30-60-or 100 days along and there are still many positive changes to look forward to!
              ~

Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.

Sobriety date: Sept 26, 2011

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thankyou Mohun for your inspiring post to us all.

I congratulate you on your amazing sucess.

With luv Flossie x
                Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Wow, what a great post! Its truly amazing the positive changes our minds, bodies, and souls go through, when we finally make the decision to stop pouring poison down our gullets..........the weight loss, the sleeping, you must be so much happier, congrats on your sobriety, stay strong and keep it up

Attached files [img]/converted_files/1748247=6929-attachment.jpg[/img]
                  Living on Planet Sober since 05/02/11

DAREDEVIL COOKIE MONSTER

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thank you Mohun and CONGRATULATIONS!!
                    I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                    Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thank you, Mohun! Such a great post. I feel great at 46 days, but know that it will only get better. But also know that I may feel some of the post acute withdrawal symptoms over the next few months.

Congratulations on your sober time!

TDN
                      "One day at a time."

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thanks so much Mohun! I have saved your post to my file of "most valuable posts" from this site. I will read it as I join you every step of the way to regaining my life. :l:h:thanks:

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the encouragement. Good to see so many other people making efforts.

Best of luck to everyone!

Comment

Thanks for the help!

Thanks Mohun - I was sent this way after posting how difficult I was finding last night, and how different my feelings were - i am at about 46 days AF and definiatley feeling the calling, but it is calling in a different way - reading your post helps me be more settled about my feelings.
                            I know when I started on this journey it was to become a moderator - 30 days seemed like an eternity, but when I reached it, I would be cured!!! :H:H:H Now I am trying to get the second 30 days in and SO realise what a way i have yet to go, and 30 days is just the tip of the iceburg
                            This is really so helpful to read!:thanks:
                            “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Working...
                            X