Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does everyone know you are an alcoholic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wondered about this a lot since my quit. Did I smell? Who knew? What do people think now that I don’t drink… - I agree with Supercrew that more people might notice it now, because I am not drinking.

I know for sure my 2 sisters got worried at the end, but they were also the only people (besides my ex who doesn’t see getting drunk every day as a problem) who saw me totally pissed. There is a handful of people who might have suspected that it is more than party behavior, but luckily I don’t see them often.
    But as for the rest … I did an excellent job at hiding it!! I asked 2 people since my quit who said they never smelled me. I just looked tired, but people think it is because I have small children and study full time.
    I took my morning shower, 3 BIG cups of coffee and eye drops. Oh, and always breath mints!! And enough deodorant!

I also got a thrill out of seeing how far I could push it. I wrote a number of tests last year where I woke up and still felt drunk. I must be a genius, right?
    And then it scared me. If I got caught, I would have been reported and it would have gotten on a file somewhere and would jeopardize the career I am trying to create.

Like someone else said – it was fun! And now I am done!
    12-20-2012 AF
    Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy.

Comment

I couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks any more.
      I know what I'm doing here
      If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
      Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;1240157 wrote: I couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks any more.
        Ditto!

Everyone knew I had a very serious problem. Especially towards the end. I had done things I could not hide, and I also could not hide the way alcohol took over my body. I was a sloppy drunk in the end.

But, as Bridget said, I couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks anymore. I spent countless hours trying to convince people I gave the shit up, and no one believed me or had any faith in me.

So, I stopped defending myself. I stopped talking about it. I kicked my past to the curb where it belongs. Each and every day now; and for a long time now as a matter of fact, I live my life knowing that I am doing it - maintaining sobriety, and that is all I need to know. Funny, once I stopped talking about it or let it be the topic of conversation, my family finally leaves me alone and knows that I am on top of it and have been for quite a while.

I don't think that everyone should know. Not unless they are going to support you, and not make you feel bad. Sometimes I think that things are better left unsaid, unless you trust the person you are confiding in to have your best interest at heart.

:l

Comment

It was much known to me after being taken to the hospital about 3 times from family members from drinking too much, standard treatment ativan and go home......what sucks now is when i return home and im usually high strung they say hes drunk , when i am not....hate that

Comment

I think everybody knew I liked to drink way too much, but nobody ever said anything because I kept everything together...I always went to work, had a nice house, happy family, tonns of friends, and I was always active... I loved to drink! And I'm pretty sure I expressed that every chance I got.

I think people in general perceive alcoholics as down and out, homeless, unemployed, or some other stereotype? So if you are not one of those things, then you don't have a problem.

Yes, not accepting a drink may default me as being an alcoholic, but I could really care less... At least I'm doing something about it. I'd rather be labeled as an alcoholic or someone in recovery then getting loser drunk and making an ass out of myself.

I can live with being called or labeled an alcoholic, but I can't live with the guilt, shame, worrying, hangovers, and negative consequences of my problem drinking anymore.

boh
            http://www.aahistory.com/days.html

Round 1 - AF/NF Sept 29, 2011-June 23, 2012

Round 2 - AF/NF October 6, 2012-December 2012

Round 3 - AF/NF January 5, 2014 - ????

Third times a charm!

Comment

Ann 221;1239898 wrote: I think that people are hesitant to use the word alcoholic. It seems that they prefer to reference a "problem with alcohol". Ont the one hand people who care about seeit and would like to help and don't know how. Then there are the ones who only mention it to judge you.
              In my case it's a work thing. As I've said before I was or was starting to be the company drunk. Looking back at comments made I'm sure of it. This worked in my favor because I hace a really great job that I certainly don't want to lose; I also want it to do it well without my performance affected by hangovers etc
              I don't say much, but I don't care who knows about it. I'm kinda proud that on Oct 7th I said NO MORE SMOKING AND DRINKING! And I've done it and it's not scary.
              I'm sure the local bar people are wondering where I've gone. They mught as well get used to it because I ain't coming back.
              Oh my you just stopped drinking AND smoking? I admire you and am quite jealous - well, you know how much money you are saving! WOW!!!! I think I would need to be locked ina rubber room. I so want to be free of Al and of smokes, but I think I need to focus on the AL first, do not think I could do both at the same time (yet I am sickened by both disgusting habits). Lord I wish I could not drink and smoke.....where is my willpower? ( as i light up with a drink next to me), pathetic at best I admit, I hate it.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, some very interesting reading there! Supercrew I loved to read your story and how bizarre that people think you are an alcoholic now you don't drink I guess it is because the majority of people do drink that not doing so is somehow weird!!

I really hope I can one day class myself as a non-drinker, that for me would be such an achievement.

I have never drunk before dinner so not had to fake being sober during the day but I always use mints/chewing gum to mask the smell of AL the morning after and worry about how I look and the horrible mood I am usually in - not good! I wish that people DID notice that I have a problem it would help me immensely if someone confronted me about it because I hate anyone thinking badly of me!
                Taking it ODAT

Comment

byebyebridgetjones;1240157 wrote: I couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks any more.
                  yep same here , as Mairo said once you stop drinking here in Ireland people assume your an alcoholic (or your pregnant and i'm not pregnant ) .
                  Dont worry what people think , they don't count, this is your life and only you can live it
                  AF 5/jan/2011

Comment

most people knew i drank too much but i think very few knew the extent of my problem.
                    when i started dealing with my alcoholism i was referred by my doc to an alcohol counciller .... and would you believe it was a woman i knew from my extended social circle. i had been to music festivals with her and many nights out. of course i burst into tears when i saw her, but strangely enough she was surprised when i told her how bad i was. i guess we are very secretive and try to hide how bad we really have become.
                    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
                    Keep passing the open windows

Comment

I honestly believe that absolutely no one knows I am an alcoholic. I hide my drinking at home - just me and hubby now. When we go out socially (which isn't often), I would always have several drinks before leaving so it wouldn't look like I was drinking a lot out.

That's why MWO has been my saving grace (time and time again). I'm not accountable to anyone physically around me so if I want to start up again, who wold know?

My goal is to come here every day and post and make myself accountable to all my friends here and most importantly, to MYSELF! I've been here before and I know how much better I feel when I'm sober so I'm ready to straighten up and fly right in 2012!

Great thread by the way - so many diverse stories here but all with the same goal
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

I just tell people I do not drink anymore. For those that ask why I tell them I gave it up to live a healthier livestyle. For most people that is enough.

I do have to socialize with work colleagues frequently due to various committees I am on. Usually the company is picking up the tab so people tend to drink a lot. It's kind of interesting sitting in meetings the next day and watching all of the hungover people.

It's not easy. There is the "stigma" that comes with people knowing that you used to drink lots and now you do not. Frankly, I do not care. I made my bed and am living with the consequences. I think of the positive aspects that have come from my decision and I hope that someday, I may serve as inspiration/help for someone else that wants to give up drinking and be healthier.

If others have a problem with me not drinking, it is their problem not mine.

Comment

:new:

this is my first day here! I stopped drinking 11 weeks ago and was sober for 9 weeks then slipped just before xmas.I am furious with myself for slipping and I am struggling to regain my sobriety.

Everyone I told that I was no longer drinking seemed somewhat perturbed. It was like I had become alien to them

Comment

Working...
                          X