Day 6 - Why I am leaning against Moderation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditto to what everyone has said on this thread. If it's not ever an option to drink, then it makes sense that eventually it would stop occupying your brain. I allowed myself to have 2 glasses of wine at a restaurant on Saturday and was eyeballing the wine the entire time, which hindered my ability to enjoy myself. Then, once the alcohol entered my brain it was even more difficult not to think about it and to try to limit myself. I wanted a night cap at home and mentally wrestled with the idea for a half an hour before I finally got tired and fell asleep. Even though I kept my pact with myself to keep it at 2, it was mentally exhausting. Unlike other habits, these kind of "limited alcohol" evenings don't get easier, they just get harder and harder to sustain. Even if you manage keep it up, it takes everything out of you to do so.

Comment

Tip - i know I can never drink again, I just hope that I don't hear that life sentence as it would worry me! I know what my future is, but admitting it is really hard, so as long as I keep going, enjoying every one day, I will never drink again - but actually letting myself know it is never might just panic me too much to succeed - forever is (hopefully) a really long time, today and tomorrow are so much more easily achievable.
      I have given up really thinking about it too much (it sneaks up on me, but I don't conciously work on it) and just take it ODAT and the ones are mounting up very nicely....
      So please just make sure I don't read this :H:H
      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

I hear you as I am scaring the shit out of myself as we speak. Forever is too hard to fathom. My idea to postpone the decision to drink if I give in to the cravings and to wait until the next morning to actually decide in respect for the accumulated time and the work it entailed is probably going to be my saving grace. After accumulating days and days, we owe it to ourselves to give the decision to begin drinking moderately a day or so to make. Day by day.
        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
        ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

On a happy note and to end this Day 6 thread, I have made it through another day being A/F and managed to bounce on the trampoline for three 10 minutes intervals, go for a walk in the bush wearing my snow shoes and I'll tell ya, that was lovely. I also managed and will continue to manage to read a few chapters of 'The Power of Now' by Eckharte Tolle. Boy I could quote him on here ad nauseum. Just love his message.

I will be starting a new daily update tomorrow. That way I remain accountable and my thread doesn't get lost in the shuffle. I am enjoying posting on a few other threads now that I am feeling good about myself again.

Back to my book. Reading sober rocks.
          Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
          ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Working...
          X