Army Thread 12th February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cold again this morning but sunny (-8C). We need to get out of the house though! I'm thinking of taking the little one for lunch at a McDonald's type of place-Quick-they have a huge indoor play area. Could be good for him to get rid of some of that energy in a heated place!I'll bring a book.
    Hope everyone has a lovely day:l
    back laters x

Comment

Zenstyle;1260874 wrote: Crap! I'm awake. Bugger.

Question... my laptop is hot and the fan is running... what's that about? (Tabbers?) The whole thing is friggin hot... even the front part of the keyboard.
      Morning guys, Zen there should be a vent where the warm air is expelled, make sure that it isn't blocked with dust and that the vent is free from obstructions where it is sitting, for instance don't have it on a cushion on your lap. Either ways might not do any harm to shut it down for and hour to let it cool right down if it s very hot. It is normal for the fan to come on every so often.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

I just love having a clear head on a Sunday morning!

Well done on the sort out Molly, I'm doing the same this end cos we're having a new carpet and this involves emptying cupboards in order to move them. What a load of crap I have accumulated. I'm rather enjoying the getting rid.

Daughter is 23 and sensible most of the time. Other one is 24 and not sensible much of the time! 24 yr old currently on hol in Thailand, no 2 downstairs taking a phone call from her friend in Australia! It's multi cultural here this morning

Well I'd better get cracking cos apart from cuppa tea and brekkie I ain't done nothing yet!

Back later xxx

Comment

Hi Molly, na a bit bunged up tbh but off for a swim and a soak in the steam room. I try to do 1k now whenever I get a chance to go. Fleeting thoughts of wine last night what with it being sat night and all but didnt of course. I did however treat myself to the 'how would I be feeling right now had I drank?' line of thinking upon first waking this morning. Just another little routine I do regularly that helps.

Comment

Molly, as promised my latest ramblings, I was going to call it diary of a madman because sometimes our thinking is clearly far from sane.

Letting go.

Acceptance and denial seem to me to be key elements of moving on. How many of us have truly 100% accepted our alcoholism and let go of the niggling doubt that maybe somehow someday the clock could magically be turned back to a time when we were 'normal'?

As I see it, it is very simple, we have two choices, accept our problem, make the life changing changes necessary or continue to skirt the real issue. I have been clean now for a little while but a couple of weeks ago the friday night feeling hit and the thoughts of how nice a beer or two would be in the local and the cravings of course started. Two beers would have been nice and I am pretty sure I could have stopped at two but it would just have awoken the beast in me again and I would drink again the next day. Maybe its only me but food is somewhat similar, when I get in the mood for say a pizza or an indian meal and dont have it that night, the thought will sit there semi dormant but I will end up eating that food at some time over the next couple of days. I wonder if this is indicative of how the craving and reward centers of my brain are programmed.
            Anyway I digress, I didnt drink on the friday but of course the thoughts werent far away and on saturday afternoon I was in the supermarket and found myself in front of the mountain of wine bottles, I picked one up and put it back down, I had allowed the thought to come to me 'hey about a bottle of wine to have with dinner?' I ran with it and then it came the 'maybe you should get two just in case' Then it hit me like a sledge hammer who was I kidding, this addiction wasnt going to go away, the alkie thinking was still there, the lying, the hiding the sneaky drinks were only a breath away. I stopped and bought a bottle of coke.

So I got to thinking about this, was there some part of me still clinging onto the idea that I can drink again? Obviously there is. So what do I do about it? I am back to the two choices, either I accept this or I dont. I believe it is very hard for us to accept that this is our life now and I think that is why so many here keep failing time after time, because they dont give it over totally, I am probably one of the biggest offenders.

If there is a big grey animal in the room with a tusk and a trunk it can only be an elephant. If I am still here posting on an alkie forum after nearly three years looking to help my problem drinking then I am an alcoholic, so if I am born 4 foot 6 with a one ear, green eyes and a big conk I cant change that can I? no more than I can change the fact of my alcoholism either but I can accept the fact. Ok, thats sorted, so without being over dramatic I can stop drinking or I can continue which would undoubtably take years off of my life and result in the quality of the years I have left a hollow shell of what they could be.

After true acceptance comes a sense of relief, a sense of peace and the first step on the path to gratitude for finding however we did the true escape and the right to lead a full and proper life without the ball and chain of AL chaffing the skin on our ankles.
            Letting go sounds good to me, how about you?

Comment

Good morning Starteroo, Tippers, Mollers, Sooty, Zenners, Our Whizzy, Marioooooooo, Fireyfoxy, KTabbers and has any one seen our Pinky.

Wonderful post,KT. For me acceptance is the absolute key for my recovery.

Funny you should mention being given so long to live, Molls.

When my Dad, who had been sober for umpteen years, was given the awful news he had terminal liver cancer was offered a drink when he got home by my mother. He absolutely refused. In his words he wanted to live the rest of his life with a sober and clear head. Oh he did start smoking again though.
              It could be worse, I could be filing.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Oops missed Expatty in my morning greetings.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Great post Ktab, fair play.

Sad news indeed about Whitney this morning, life is so fragile, we really need to make every second count and live in the now, not lamenting the past, nor worrying about the future but just being in the present moment.

Have a great Sunday everyone x
                  "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Yo Oners,

Well I feel as if I've done naff all this morning.

Me and Mr JC did have a long chat about the effect my Dad dying had on me. It got me started on the I wish I'd have asked for help sooner path. I should know fine well that's a fat lot of good.

Then I thought me Dad is as proud as punch of me these days.
                    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Good morning, lovelies! Hope everyone is wunnerful today. Cold but bright and sunny here in the US. Shame we get a really cold weekend and I neglected to monitor the propane for the gas fireplace which petered out during a movie last night. bugger. Kept thinking I needed to check it but never quite did it.

I'm going to browse back for ktabs post and JC, you're right - he sees you and is for sure right proud. I know the same is true for my mother. :l
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Afternoon army,

just showing my face. Can't seem to get enough sleep. Hope all is well in the barracks. And yes, jackie, your dad would be very proud of you today.

Comment

Well lookee there, it's the Greeniebeanie one.

I was just being a bit retrospective this morning.

Now then Reccybear, are you getting enough protein in your diet.
                          AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Hello. Kid free this week, planning lots of exercise and chilling out and getting all the shit sorted out which I keep putting off
                            Ooh and maybe a trip to Camden on weds. I love that place.
                            I have a drink problem, I have been AF since 15 March 2011 and I am working hard to stay that way

They don't call me Pingu Purple Pants for nothing....

Comment

so we all familiar with the term groundhog day... yeah. I am a total success at this xD
                              I have faced it, a life wasted, and I am never going back there again

To ya'll my name is inchy. I am an alcoholic - and priority number one is making it to the end of this day AF. No excuses.

Comment

Happy sunday to all of you...

wish I could be at your house mummy JC and having lunch at yours...miss home food soo much

I hope you are all well:l

Comment

Working...
                                X