Army Thread 17th February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tiptronic_ct;1263758 wrote: Put on some REALLY uncomfortable shoes. That way, you'll look forward to going home again and getting them off.
    That's classic.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

the shoes, is the way to go
      I love people who make me laugh. I honestly think it's the thing I like most, to laugh. It cures a multitude of ills. It's probably the most important thing in a person.
      Audrey Hepburn

Comment

And boxing gloves. You'll not be able to pick up anything.

Oh and remember how smug you'll feel tomorrow morning.

Right must go and do something interesting with lentils.

Bacinabit.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

JackieClaire;1263773 wrote: And boxing gloves. You'll not be able to pick up anything.

Oh and remember how smug you'll feel tomorrow morning.

Right must go and do something interesting with lentils.

Bacinabit.
          THat's a longish bit - for lentils.
          I'll do whatever it takes
          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Well Tip - it you & me the newbie Tell me your story ?
            Is it possible to be a moderate drinker ?

Comment

satz123;1263787 wrote: Is it possible to be a moderate drinker ?
              No.
              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

I thought I could do it, Satz: and failed miserably - over and over and over again. Ad nauseam. It just doesn't work. Not that the thought doesn't still sometimes occur to me, but I manage to brush it aside. And it happens less and less often.
                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

My story in short: I became an alcoholic at an early age - early 20s. It reached breaking point three years ago - I was downing about 5 bottles (750ml) of vodka a week. My wife gave me an ultimatum - three months. I found this place, plus info about baclofen. The rest, as they say, is history. I'll be 42 in May, by the way - so quite a long drinking history.
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Fair enough Mr Tipsy................ but are we not surrounded by them ? I'm married to a man who can do without it an a daily basis. Loves the pub & pint. Drinks just - Guinness and only in the pub. Can have 10 pints & be drunk or 1 pint and go home and be satisfied .
                    I'm beginning t think I would drink anything - if that's all I had - that's bad isn't it ?
                    Have they just more will power than us?

Comment

tiptronic_ct;1263793 wrote: My story in short: I became an alcoholic at an early age - early 20s. It reached breaking point three years ago - I was downing about 5 bottles (750ml) of vodka a week. My wife gave me an ultimatum - three months. I found this place, plus info about baclofen. The rest, as they say, is history. I'll be 42 in May, by the way - so quite a long drinking history.
                      Does the baclofen work well ? Do you lose interest in drinking ?

Comment

satz123;1263795 wrote: Fair enough Mr Tipsy................ but are we not surrounded by them ? I'm married to a man who can do without it an a daily basis. Loves the pub & pint. Drinks just - Guinness and only in the pub. Can have 10 pints & be drunk or 1 pint and go home and be satisfied .
                        I'm beginning t think I would drink anything - if that's all I had - that's bad isn't it ?
                        Have they just more will power than us?
                        No - they simply don't have the disease called alcoholism... Once we accept that is what we are and reach the point of acceptance, we're OK. But yeah: it's bloody tough to get there.
                        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

satz123;1263797 wrote: Does the baclofen work well ? Do you lose interest in drinking ?
                          Baclofen worked exceptionally well in my case - you simply become indifferent to alcohol. I remember my own astonishment really well: I would see a glass of wine and a soft drink next to each other, and I'd prefer the soft drink. But that too, was tough - the side-effects were terrible, but absolutely worth it.

Here's a link to my very 1st thread on MWO - I was still very polite then :H:H:H https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...tic-34490.html
                          AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Hiya, Flyby from me, just had a quick scan.

Simply put....Moderation does not exist, not possible, cannot be be done successfully. FACT.
                            Moderation can be practiced with EASE for a NORMAL drinker, it CANNOT be with a problem drinker.

People who moderate have a constant battle on their hands, trying not to go overboard, drinking 2 glasses and desperately wishing they could have more, more often that not they do go overboard and go beyond their limit. It is a losing battle. Like handing a starving person a tiny, tasty morsel of food and expecting that to satisfy their appetite.

Moderation does NOT work, it is a hard, arduous battle and one that can never be won. Booze will always have a hold over you and when you think about it, by trying to moderate you still hold drink in high esteem as something wonderful, a reward, something to look forward to. It means you CANNOT give it up , or you refuse to, it means that you are still under it's spell, still trapped and still seeing it as something good instead of the nasty poison it is. Trying to pretend you are in control and like other "normal drinkers" is a farce, a dream. One drink is NEVER enough.

My 2 cents.
                            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
                            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Alrighty, folksies. As I said this morning - it's POETS* day for me, so I'm off. See you again tonight.

* Piss off Early Tomorrow's Saturday (as taught to me by the Undies)
                              AF 21/08/2009

Comment

one2many;1263813 wrote: Hiya, Flyby from me, just had a quick scan.

Simply put....Moderation does not exist, not possible, cannot be be done successfully. FACT.
                                Moderation can be practiced with EASE for a NORMAL drinker, it CANNOT be with a problem drinker.

People who moderate have a constant battle on their hands, trying not to go overboard, drinking 2 glasses and desperately wishing they could have more, more often that not they do go overboard and go beyond their limit. It is a losing battle. Like handing a starving person a tiny, tasty morsel of food and expecting that to satisfy their appetite.

Moderation does NOT work, it is a hard, arduous battle and one that can never be won. Booze will always have a hold over you and when you think about it, by trying to moderate you still hold drink in high esteem as something wonderful, a reward, something to look forward to. It means you CANNOT give it up , or you refuse to, it means that you are still under it's spell, still trapped and still seeing it as something good instead of the nasty poison it is. Trying to pretend you are in control and like other "normal drinkers" is a farce, a dream. One drink is NEVER enough.

My 2 cents.
                                Well, that was about $5s worth, but well said, OneyBum

:hallo: and bye till laters.
                                AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Working...
                                X