Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who read Jason Vales Book? Opinions Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just finished reading this Book- I love it......
    The approach he uses is very inspiring!
    My favorite part of the Book( to look at alcohol as the poison it truly is)
    In AA they dont teach you that(whats the 1st step again- you are powerless)
    This book shows you time & time again, that is simply not true!
    I would love to hear what other people think....

PS- I am not bashing AA
    It simply did not work for me(10yrs of trying)

I read the book

I think Allen Carr's is better. But, honestly did he not point out what you already knew?

I am sick to death of AL being sold at gas stations.....flashed all over the place....its sick. I don't freaking care if you take one drink a year...its poison!

Comment

Just remembered yesterday I was pumping gas into my car and on the pump it said, "contains 10% ethanol" ... Isn't that the poison in alcohol? Crazy I say..

Shiner

Comment

It's a fantastic book havefaith - it has helped a lot of people on this site to walk away from AL.

I have also read Alan Carr's book. It was very good also, but for me Jason Vale's book really hit home. You are right we're not powerless - we have an addiction to a highly addictive substance. There are no benefits whatsover to drinking AL.

Have a fantastic AF day!

Comment

This book is on my wish list. I can't get it from my local library network so I have to order it from Amazon. Looking forward to reading it!
          Whatever you invest in the circle of LIFE is what comes back to you. Multiplied. What you give to people is what they eventually give back to you. Don't do the math. Just increase your LOVE.

BE HAPPY...BE CONNECTED...BE HEALTHY!
          :h

Comment

Havefaith, this book and MWO were two very large parts of my being able to quit drinking. There's a lengthy thread about it somewhere here that I started....would have to track it down.

Until we change our thinking that alcohol is of some benefit to us, we'll struggle. This book helped me make the mental shift to understanding that I get absolutely nothing positive from drinking.

It's not a cure-all, but I still highly recommend it!

Comment

I second what Unwasted said. The book really highlights the true facts about alcohol. After you read it you realize that alcohol does the exact opposite of what we have been brainwashed to believe it can do for us. I use this statement quite a bit. If I want a drink because something my son has done irriates me and I want to be able to cope with it I say to myself having a drink will do the exact opposite. Instead of coping and becoming less irritated, I will only very temporarily shut off my brain from the irritation and when I "come to" not only will I still have to deal with the problem with my son, I will have a host of other problems caused by the drink..... The guilt, the hangover, the fear for health, the disgust, the shame, etc, etc.

Same thing if you drink because you think it will relieve boredom.... Drinking actually makes you more bored and boring. It prevents you from pursuing interests and it makes you isolate from other people leaving you bored and alone on the couch, a visious cycle.

If you search Jason Vale in the search function, you will find the thread Unwasted was talking about. Also, if you go to the What We are Reading thread you will find discussion on the Jason Vale Book and a big discussion on the Easyway book, which is very similar. Good luck! Peace

Comment

I think it's a great book and I think it's one that should be read more than once. Probably monthly for the first few months of sobriety. It really made me realize that this addiction was all in my head. Change your thinking, change your life.

Comment

I too read Vales book - but like The Sunflower, thought Carrs book was better. they are both similar - Vale worked with Carr and has taken a lot of Carrs stuff with him to his own book. They are both repeat the same stuff over and over - but I preferred the way Carr said it. Carrs book was the final straw that stopped me drinking. I too think you need to re-read it. i also have places highlighted and will go back and look through it to read those bits and it reinforces for me why I have stopped drinking and why I will never start again. It is all about Mindset and changing the way you look at it - in effect you are brainwashed - but in a good way!! I think which ever book you read, if it works for you - AWESOME.

Hugs, sun
                  How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hey Have Faith

I agree-Vale's book was very helpful to me. I got it after reading posts by Unwasted about it.
                    Of course it was inevitable for me to get it, since I drank for years and bought everything printed in English about drinking,drunks,quitting etc. And maybe one or two in Spanish.

But really-I felt relief at seeing in print what I sort of thought anyway. And AA is not for me, but is so accepted as the defacto way to go. To me that was another indictment of me and my shortcomings-as in-if I wasn't screwed up I would go to AA and be fine.
                    I am not religious, and not a group person by nature. I have no problem with speaking in front of people and I'm no longer asahmed, but it just doesn't fit with me.

I keep the book handy and look through it from time to time for reinforcement. By the way I had posted recently that though I am not drinking I was thinking of an OP counseling/treatment place. When I got the response from them they said they will have evening spots open and they do take my insurance, and in the meantime go to AA.
                    So we'll see.

Stay strong and I'm glad you liked the book!

Comment

Hi Havefaith!
                      I have read Jason Vale's book twice. Although he says it will only work the first time, I disagree. It really makes you change your thinking. I am on day 5 and must say that the only thoughts I have about AL are that I am almost jumping with joy that I am free from that poison. Let us know what you think after you've read it.
                      "Leap and the net will appear." - John Burroughs

Comment

Thanks everybody...
                        I just got allen carrs book. I will start reading this one as well
                        The more knowledge the better!

Comment

My husband is reading this book right noe & is really motivated. He said he can't believe all he's learning. Excellent.
                          Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                          Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                          10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                          2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                          Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                          AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                          Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Just finished Jason's book this am. Thought it was great. At the moment I'm feeling quite strong and i'm just going into my witching hour time so that is a good sign.

Have read the Allen Carr book too about 4 yrs ago. They are actually quite similar although subtly different. I think I prefer Jason's but that may just be because I read it more recently. I will look back again at Allen's book too.

I put Jason's book on my kindle as I haven't seen it in the shops.

They are both worth a read, and have given me strength.

Sausage x
                            Day 9 *********

Comment

I started Jason Vale's book this morning and I'm already a third of the way through it. From what I have read so far, the book is fantastic. I love the way he debunks all the myths the alcohol industry perpetuates. It's relaxing, you're more sociable, you're happy, etc. None of which is true. Can't wait to finish reading it.

One thing that really hit home for me is when he states that the term "alcoholic" is just a label. I hate putting labels on myself or others. I don't mind saying that I have an alcohol addiction problem but I don't want to define myself as an "alcoholic".

I have a co-worker who is a diabetic and consistently defines themselves as such, yet another co-worker who is a diabetic doesn't allow himself to be defined or limited by his diabetes. To me this is somewhat similar in that I have an alcohol addiction but I don't want that addiction to define me because I am so much more.

Comment

Working...
                              X