The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry Skull!!! Good lesson you've learned for all of us! Thanks for the reminder. Because I have done it so many times, I can imagine exactly how you feel and it's definitely discouraging any plans I may have been quietly thinking about! There is one thing I LOVE to eat, my all time favourite sweet-- and I told myself I would eat a bit in the States, as it's not available here. I don't know. ODAT!!!!

Comment

I HAVE made granola-energy bars as a snack for the plane-- and I will cook and bring my own food to eat on board. I've got the nasty flight food sorted, at least!!

Comment

Skull, you know it will get easier in a day or two so just hang on and drink plenty of water.

NoSugar, no kidding about the paycheck but I think good food is one of the best investments you can make. The greens in my local store look ghostly and almost transparent. The veggies in Whole Foods are like in HD TV: dark green, red and purple. Everything in that store looks delicious.

Londoner, Whole Foods is like a chain of organic supermarkets. Everything there is naturally grown and sourced. They are huge in the States but are getting big over here too.
        AF since 1st Sep 2012
        NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

I shop at WF whenever I get a chance. Only relatively big cities have them, unfortunately. They are great in that you can get pastured meat and dairy products, non-GMO vegetables, all sorts of nuts, cheeses, etc. etc. I really wish I had one closer to me. I hadn't realized they were going international.

allankay;1594096 wrote: Skull, you know it will get easier in a day or two so just hang on and drink plenty of water.

NoSugar, no kidding about the paycheck but I think good food is one of the best investments you can make. The greens in my local store look ghostly and almost transparent. The veggies in Whole Foods are like in HD TV: dark green, red and purple. Everything in that store looks delicious.

Londoner, Whole Foods is like a chain of organic supermarkets. Everything there is naturally grown and sourced. They are huge in the States but are getting big over here too.

Comment

NoSugar;1594128 wrote: I shop at WF whenever I get a chance. Only relatively big cities have them, unfortunately. They are great in that you can get pastured meat and dairy products, non-GMO vegetables, all sorts of nuts, cheeses, etc. etc. I really wish I had one closer to me. I hadn't realized they were going international.
            NS,

they have 6 stores in London but they are much smaller than the stores in the States. Hope one day someone will open a more affordable version of Whole Foods.
            AF since 1st Sep 2012
            NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

I think I would like a smaller version of the US stores, Allan! Sometimes all the choices are a bit overwhelming.

I found a very positive article about bone broth, including instructions: The Healing Power of Bone Broth for Digestion, Arthritis, and Cellulite. ? DrAxe.com

Comment

Today was my 3rd visit to Whole Foods in three days. Everything I have tried was amazing!

I wander how much stuff they need to throw away to make everything on their shelves appear so fresh. I think they discard any product with even the tiniest imperfections.

And people there are fantastic. Chatted to this girl while picking up a healthy desert. She could not decide on what to get, neither could I.
                AF since 1st Sep 2012
                NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Guess I am lucky. We have 2 stores and they are pretty close to my house. I have taken some cooking classes there.
                  But I am not doing well on the sugar front...cut back but so many goodies this time of year....maybe I can only give up one vice at a time..
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Dottie,

it seems very common to replace AL addiction with sugary foods. So we will be happy to have you here whenever you are ready to give it a try.

AK
                    AF since 1st Sep 2012
                    NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Lurker of this thread here :hallo:

Someday I would like to join....... just not today tho!!

Ye all are leading the way- keep up the good work :thumbs:

Comment

So I had a few Cadbury's Mini Rolls after my workout yesterday. I didn't have any powdered carbs on me, and they were lying about so I used that as my PWO carbs.

Now, although that is technically sugar, I do not count it as sugar - and in my world I will tell you why.

AL is black and white for me. You either drink it or you do not.

Sugar is different. I joined this challenge as I was binging on the stuff. Literally looking for any refined food I could get my hands on. I would want more and more.

The mini rolls yesterday were used post workout, and the big change for me was that I did not crave any more once I put the wrappers in the bin. I ate the amount I needed to for the amount of carbs, and that was it.

I did not use it to feed emotion. I did not crave. I did not binge. I did not feel guilty. I got straight back on track.

I think we discussed this before - how grey and individual defining sugar free can be.

What do you guys think of that?

Comment

I agree with you, Londoner. Everyone has a different goal here and that is fine. The trick is to know (which you seem to) what will trigger a sugar binge and what will meet a need your body has. Bet it feels really good to be working out again. Do you have this weekend figured out? Take care - NS

Comment

Hello everyone,

I have an opinion on this. May be we are trying to give up sugar for a simple reason of loosing weight and feeling better. May be we should incorporate weight into daily roll, like before and now. This would be a good measure of our success. As it is only with a good diet (which may include an occasional treat) that we can achieve weight loss. Because sugar intake (as I found out) is a very very tricky thing to measure.

I have been buying this natural yogurt with strawberries in it for a while. The labels says that is has no additives and is naturally sourced. It is placed in an organic isle. However, as many organic products today it is missing a nutrition label. So after some research I was astonished to find out that it contains almost 60 grams of sugar, per 500ml portion. So I might as well have been eating 3 snickers bars.

Allan
                            AF since 1st Sep 2012
                            NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

allankay;1595007 wrote:
                              I have an opinion on this. May be we are trying to give up sugar for a simple reason of loosing weight and feeling better.
                              I'm doing it for blood sugar control. Today: 81 mg/dL .

Comment

Well, I'm sad to say I'm back to day one...

Just kidding. Well, only half.

I did stop eating sugar around April of this year. My main goal was to lower the glycemic load of all the food I was eating. Sugar obviously plays a big part in that.

To my astonishment I have gone down from 128kg to 96kg in 5 months, and although I have not really been watching my food like a hawk since September, I went further down to 93kg. To be honest, I was amazed at how well this worked, without going hungry for a single day. 93kg is pretty much my ideal weight (being 6'7").

Lately however, I have been falling of the no-sugar wagon. It started with a tiny piece of chocolate once every few days and now I'm back at it daily (sounds familiar...). Even though I am not gaining weight again, I can simply feel that it's not healthy at all (suffering from peripheral neuropathy, I can say that for me sugar works like a poison, pretty much like its fermented cousin did). More sugar = more pain for me.

Time to quit before it develops into a full addiction again...

Comment

Working...
                                X