Relapse in Retrospect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Relapse in Retrospect

Ginger I know the feeling. I lost a 7 year quit and thought that I could control it but my old habits was already coming back and the fear of not having enough to get drunk came back. It took me a few tries to get back to this point but now I know that I can never drink again.

Just take it one day at a time. I am at day 12 and I feel great. The cravings are still there but every day that I don't drink the less they are going to occur and the weaker that they get. I love being sober too much to ruin this quit. I do not know when I will have enough to do another quit. If I fail this time, I am afraid of how long it will be until I get sick and tired of AL to get the courage to try again.
    I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Ginger-
      You were a huge inspiration to me early in my quit. Thank you for sharing your story here. It reminds me that even after 3+years I cannot let my guard down. I do not have the ability to moderate my drinking ever again and I know it.
      I am so sorry you had to go through those awful physical and mental feelings again. I can still take myself back and remember the horrible way I felt after drinking. It was pure hell.
      Good on you for coming back here. Let's do this!
      JackieM

Comment

This was an amazing thread to read. Consider it bumped for newcomers and others. I will be rereading it over and over, I'm sure.

Thanks for starting it, No Sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by FeralPuppy View Post
          This was an amazing thread to read. Consider it bumped for newcomers and others. I will be rereading it over and over, I'm sure.
          Thanks for starting it, No Sugar.
          Every time I find my addicted brain getting too big for its britches, I read this thread, FP. I know I am no different to anyone who posted here. It is so easy to slip into thinking (again) that I can control my drinking. Maybe I could for some amount of time but these posters make it clear that it just can't be done in the long run. Too much will power is needed and will power is not infinite.
          I'm glad it was helpful to you. I hope some other "returners" will consider adding their stories. It helps us all.
          Have a great day, NS

Comment

Thanks for the bump, @ferralpuppy. It inspired me to go back and read my post from August last year. Nine months ago, I came back to my senses! Time sure flies! Happy to be AF and here once again. Peace....

Comment

I can really relate. Moderation works for some and even sometimes for me, in the past. Finally I am accepting that 1 drink of alcohol is always 1 too many for me. Holidays are the hardest time for me. Seems like I get over stressed and that's my trigger. I stocked up on spicy v8 so if I want a kick it will come from something spicy and won't start me back on alcohol. We can do this. I know we can. Together we are so much stronger than just standing on our own against what has truly become an enemy to so many people.

Comment

Originally posted by mountain Dreamer View Post
                I can really relate. Moderation works for some and even sometimes for me, in the past. Finally I am accepting that 1 drink of alcohol is always 1 too many for me. Holidays are the hardest time for me. Seems like I get over stressed and that's my trigger. I stocked up on spicy v8 so if I want a kick it will come from something spicy and won't start me back on alcohol. We can do this. I know we can. Together we are so much stronger than just standing on our own against what has truly become an enemy to so many people.
                Indeed stress really is such a bad trigger. I've found it's even a trigger for post-withdrawal symptoms, which in turn is a trigger for wanting to drink. Also, as much as you try to give your self some stress free time it's almost impossible because life just keeps throwing shit at you. All you can do is soldier on and try muddle through it... AF free.

Comment

Working...
                X