Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At a stand-still in life, it's like life hasn't 'taken off' for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

Free at Last has a link to a Brene Brown TEDx talk on vulnerability that I finally watched and highly recommend.

My sister is 49 and in this year got divorced (from a prescription pill addicted husband) just as her kids are leaving the nest - she felt lonely and stuck as well. She found a lot of inspiration from Brown's book Daring Greatly (on my table to read next) as well as from using a gratitude journal to uncover what she wants to do. I just took a walk with her and she is so excited for what's next, even though she still doesn't know what it is. She just went to a conference (she is a teacher, too) that she really didn't want to go to and met and was inspired by a lot of people there. I think if you can take that first step and get yourself out the door you'll find a great, welcoming, inspiring world out there.

Comment

Thank-you for your replies everyone, i truly do appreciate it am really tired after a harrowing day at work and an extremely early morning, but will re-read tomorrow and absorb your amazing wisdom :l

The take home message for now is that this feeling may not be exclusive to me, which was what i was worried about. I was beginning to think i was losing my marbles or that there is something seriously wrong with me (something else!).

Love all these suggestions about getting out of the comfort zone. Guess i can sum it up by saying i have never felt comfortable with my aloneness and this is no exception.
      One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

One more Change.......hehe.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Change,:l

Thanks for checking in. We were all so worried about you.

Mr. G-excellent post/affirmation. True words to live by. Thanks!!

Scottish Lass-lovely post...you sure are a strong woman to move 6,000 miles away from your family, but sorry your relationship didn't work out.

Pavati-thank you for the book recommendation. I will go online and have a look.

Allswell:
          I also know people who are married and miserable, parents with kids that have serious problems and are at a serious loss as to what to do about it, and a lot of other things. I know my life is not like theirs and I don't compare it to theirs anymore. I look at the positives, I have complete control of my life and my future, I can see who I want, go where I want, and make decisions right for me without having to check with someone else. I know I might sound selfish but I like where I'm at. I also hear comments from a lot of married people that wish they had a life like mine.
          I could not have said this better....I feel EXACTLY, EXACTLY the way you do when you say you have complete control over your life, see who you want, go where you want, and especially, making decisions that are right for yourself without checking with someone. This is freedom, and being AF makes it even better.

Mama Bear:h-great to see you....we had a number of laughs together when we were first starting our AF journey together. I am just two days older than you are!!!! Hey, I love the Black-Eyed Pea pic. You are definitely the most beautiful Pea I've ever seen. I HATE peas.:H Ah, I see you are your boobilicious self. I cracked up when you told me your husband calls the girls your 44 Longs!!:H

Comment

Rusty - Mama's 44Longs are now 44/43 longs...she burned an inch off of one a couple of years ago, so now she's uneven. LOL :H

Change - I understand where you're coming from. I am single and my daughter is 16. Her life does NOT revolve around me anymore, and I can see her moving on in the next few years...then what? Its going to be a fight for me not to go back into hermit mode. I hope I can take what I've learned the last couple years and keep the momentum going. Just staying busy is my plan so far. Don't look TOO far into the future, just take it as it comes, you never know what will happen!
            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9Lover;1597099 wrote: I am single and my daughter is 16. Her life does NOT revolve around me anymore, and I can see her moving on in the next few years...then what? Its going to be a fight for me not to go back into hermit mode. I hope I can take what I've learned the last couple years and keep the momentum going. Just staying busy is my plan so far. Don't look TOO far into the future, just take it as it comes, you never know what will happen!
              Get her to have grandchildren really quick so you can have some new kids o keep you busy!! Lol, Only joking

I've thought about the empty nest syndrome and how that can be. I'd say get yourself busy with a hobby or two and start to make a plan.

My main issue is that i'm socially isolated. I can go days and days (or even weeks) without any contact from a friend or family member. I am putting myself out there to meet people though, and will never again feel so arrogant as to turn my back on someone in need or if they are alone.

Don't go ito hermit mode K9, do you have any ideas for ways to stay busy?
              One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

I'm sure I'll be in the workforce for many, many, many years to come, so I can't get too hermit-y! And after being around people ALL day, the peace and quiet is just what I need!

And no thanks on the grandkids...the sound of a crying baby makes my ovaries shrivel up and fall out. LOL
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

K9Lover;1597238 wrote: And no thanks on the grandkids...the sound of a crying baby makes my ovaries shrivel up and fall out. LOL
                  Hahaha! Yeah, they can be pretty full on.

Ditto tothe workforce, i'm staying as long as i can too. You've just strengthened my resolve to hit the gym even harder and preserve this flab-ridden body

Comment

Hey Change - just wanted to check in and see how you were? Your post resonated...I saw a good quote about being alone is better that being with someone and lonely - I have been there and think I need to work out how to be happy alone and then I think I won't need to worry about being lonely???
                    “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Hi Change! How are you feeling?
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                      X