AA experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA experience

i'm considering going to go to an AA meeting but am terrified. mostly because I don't really know what goes on at them.
    id be interested to hear of others experiences with AA (good and bad) so I can make a more informed choice.
    one of the things I worry about is that I live in a small town and would almost certainly see people from a meeting in the street, though in a way that is odd as I kinda like the idea of having people that I can meet face to face who are in the same boat as me.
    I imagine all meetings will be different but id like to get a general idea of how people here have found the experience, and what the general meeting format is.
    thanks
    Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
    Keep passing the open windows

AA experience

Hey Spuds:l

Why don't you pose this question on the AA Thread under the Monthly Abstinence Forum?
    Mary (retteacher) and Sunshine_GG go to regular AA meetings. Sunshine posted that she was afraid to go for the very same reasons you mentioned, and found she did know several people in the room....unaware previously that they were alcoholics as well. Both Mary and Sunni have been warmly greeted and without judgment. As far as the general meeting format, that varies depending on whether it's a speaker meeting, Big Book meeting, or 12-step meeting. AA does post the schedule of the individual meetings, though. Give it a chance....this might be what you need.

Comment

AA experience

AA is faith based, and that appeals to me as I have a very strong faith and believe in the power of prayer. If that doesn't put you off, try it.
      And faith is a relative term...whatever you believe in is fine with them.
      Good Luck!
      I love my family more than alcohol.:h
      Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

AA experience

Hey Spuds! :l

Even if you're not a religious person (I certainly am not), AA is a wonderful place to meet recovering alcoholics sharing their experiences and giving you that extra bit of support and push you sometimes need.

I also had huge reservations about going - but it has turned out one of the best decisions I have made in a very long time. Give it a try!!!
        Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

AA experience

Spuddlers, how are you doing today? You posted something yesterday that had me worried. Hope you are ok today.:l

Sunni!!!!!!!!:h Whatsamatterwhichyou? You deserted our thread. We miss you. Get your bony butt back to our thread...it's getting a little dull over there.:H

Hey Mama!:h

Comment

AA experience

It is scary in small towns and you may well recognise people but they are all there for the same reason, most would be glad to see you and not even dream of causing any trouble, if anyone does get wierd they'd be having serious words with them.

You aren't there for a bollocking, and everyone is always really friendly. A word of warning though, they'd be confused and sceptical about TSM and naltrexone so my advice would be not to mention it, just relax and listen to what they have to say. Oh and the meetings at Christmas can be really, really nice - AA doesn't stop for bank holidays or Christmas, and they'll often invite people to bring food along. I've even been to AF AA house parties.
            I used the Sinclair Method to beat my alcoholic drinking.

Drank within safe limits for almost 2 years

AF date 22/07/13

Comment

AA experience

thanks for responses. i didn't realise there was an AA thread (how long have i been here??) i will ho over and check it out. thanks
              Today is the tomorrow i worried about yesterday and it turned out fine
              Keep passing the open windows

Comment

Working...
              X